: Beetle fuel pipe

V8 RUMBLE
16-05-2008, 06:12 PM
Could anyone let me know the easiest way to replace the main fuel pipe that runs through the chassis of my sons Beetle as there is not enough of it left sticking out at the rear to get a decent fix.

flyin_flea
16-05-2008, 06:59 PM
i,m doing exactly the same job on mine this weekend....get some 6mm (outside diameter) kunifer (or copper) pipe.....i got mine off ebay.

i spent nearly a whole day trying the correct method first.....

....put some wire/string (i used welding wire) all the way through the old pipe and tie both ends to something. pull the old one out. thread the new one over the wire, and push it through.

....but.... my old one won't budge at all..... so i'm gonna cheat and run a new one alongside it, and cable tie it to the old one where i can get to it in the tunnel

fall-apart-dave
16-05-2008, 07:08 PM
I replaced mine and ran it on the passenger footwell tucked into the tunnel. Then my bug set on fire and I watched it burn this morning. This, however, is due to an electrical faul not the fuel line! :lol:

Its funny, the electrical system is the only part of the car I have never touched... :lol:

But I have seen the passenger footwell fix a few times on Bugs. The brake line to the rear of the car sits in the same place in the drivers footwell.

al_kaholik
16-05-2008, 07:25 PM
Could run it under the car, many are done in this way. I even think the later cars were done this way, possibly for FI?

emtee
16-05-2008, 07:30 PM
Mine was replaced by the previous owner and runs under the car. Passed the MOT this week so must be Ok.

fall-apart-dave
16-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Could run it under the car, many are done in this way. I even think the later cars were done this way, possibly for FI?

Not if its a Baja used offroad, ya can't!

Bada Ben
16-05-2008, 09:17 PM
We've done 3 through the tunnel, one was done with the bodyshell still on the car, (a bit more awkward, but it worked), failing that, 'P' clip a new 6 mm KuNiFer pipe to passenger side of the centre tunnel, running through the car interior.
the 2 cars we did with the body off, are buggies which do go offroad, so the main fuel line is protected inside the tunnel, the way VW built 'em.

Max2thous10
16-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Would defiantly agree go through the tunnel. If its jammed try taking out the pedal set as it goes and gets trapped under here. Take the front plate of the tunnel between the front torsion tubes. Use a gangly built fellow human to get thier hand in to pull it and push it up through the tunnel hole under the tank while you push on the other end. Cut to size there we go

Max

V8 RUMBLE
16-05-2008, 10:51 PM
;) Thanks for the info will try to put it through the tunnel at the weekend.

al_kaholik
17-05-2008, 02:16 AM
Not if its a Baja used offroad, ya can't!

;) I'll probably be running two through the tunnel, using the stock thinner line as a return and a thicker one for the feed. Through the cabin just seems not a very good idea to me :)

Buggin_74
17-05-2008, 03:02 AM
flyin flea, the fuel line in the tunnel has a few of those bent over tabs holding it down same as the brakeline has

these are probably whats not letting it move
my rotary bug had a 10mm main and 8mm return lines fittted in metal line what a shit of a job, so i cheated with my super when i had my old blow thro turbo engine in and just ran a length of rubber fuel line down the inside of the tunnel

Max2thous10
17-05-2008, 08:43 AM
I have drilled a hole in the other torsion bar for my return but haven't fitted it yet

MAX

flyin_flea
17-05-2008, 11:43 AM
flyin flea, the fuel line in the tunnel has a few of those bent over tabs holding it down same as the brakeline has

these are probably whats not letting it move

:)..cheers mate....i know theres stuff holding it in....it's just getting my monkey hands far enough in to undo them thats the problem.... i managed to get the old line moving a few inches, but then it got properly stuck.....i've already lost too much skin off my arms trying, so i'm taking the 'easy' route:D

flyin_flea
17-05-2008, 11:54 AM
have a look at this link V8rumble...... you can click on the sections of the tunnel for a close up look at where the fuel line is 'fixed' inside.....http://http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/inside63tunnel.html (http://www.vwdcqinc.org.au/inside63tunnel.html)

V8 RUMBLE
17-05-2008, 08:58 PM
Hi again. Thanks for that brilliant link Flying Flea. A couple of you mentioned returns which brings another question to mind. My boy is going to run twin carbs with overflow/returns so do they have to go back to the tank?
Chhers in advance,;) Tim

Max2thous10
17-05-2008, 09:06 PM
don't have too but if your using a high pressure pump its a good idea as most carbs are meant to work at about 3.5psi. The return is a must if your going down the injected route. With fuel costs spiralling this is currently where its at as you can use injectors to inject any fuel.

Max