: Vaio help - Hot Key / Function Key not working

Andy Sweeney
14-11-2009, 10:46 AM
I think I've removed a programme I shouldn't whilst 'tidying up' the hard drive with unwanted programmes, and now my hot key function doesn't work for turning the volume up and down, brightness etc etc.
I've done a bit of searching and apparently I need a specific driver called hkserv.exe.

Can I find it?

The sony website is useless - as soon as I try and download the original drivers pack, nothing happens, it just sits there.

Anyone got any clues of how to find the correct driver for this annoying fault?

Pyro
14-11-2009, 10:52 AM
ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/Vaio/hotkey/

Andy Sweeney
14-11-2009, 10:56 AM
ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/Vaio/hotkey/

Being only semi competent, and as none of them are called exactly hkserv.exe, which one do I click?

The top one looks likely, but if I clicked it and it all went wrong, I'd expect someone to lambast me with abuse for clicking something that wasn't exactly what i was looking for.

Everytime I've done that in the past, it turns out I've accidentally installed gotyouagainyoudumbschmuckvirus.exe instead.

Is it the top one?

Pyro
14-11-2009, 11:03 AM
Being only semi competent, and as none of them are called exactly hkserv.exe, which one do I click?

The top one looks likely, but if I clicked it and it all went wrong, I'd expect someone to lambast me with abuse for clicking something that wasn't exactly what i was looking for.

Everytime I've done that in the past, it turns out I've accidentally installed gotyouagainyoudumbschmuckvirus.exe instead.

Is it the top one?

good point, whats your model number?

Andy Sweeney
14-11-2009, 11:04 AM
VGN-FS415S

Pyro
14-11-2009, 11:05 AM
VGN-FS415S

hang on.

Pyro
14-11-2009, 11:09 AM
SONY VAIO HOTKEY UTILITY
(adds "Sony Vaio Hotkey Utility" to your own WINXP on your laptop) tested on SONY VAIO VGN-A217M, VGN-S26C, VGN-FS195XP so should work on yours.

Down load this.

http://rapidshare.de/files/14614331/vaio_hotkey_driver.zip.html

First uninstall off of your computer (if they are installed) :
1. Hotkey Utility
2. Sony utilities DLL

Download: "vaio hotkey driver.zip" and unpack
anywhere on your harddrive (as above)

Then install exactly in this sequence :
1. 1 SONY SHARED LIBRARY
!! reboot your computer !!
2. 2 SONYUTILS
3. 3 HOTKEY
!! reboot your computer again to affect changes !!

Andy Sweeney
14-11-2009, 11:15 AM
SONY VAIO HOTKEY UTILITY
(adds "Sony Vaio Hotkey Utility" to your own WINXP on your laptop) tested on SONY VAIO VGN-A217M, VGN-S26C, VGN-FS195XP so should work on yours.

Down load this.

http://rapidshare.de/files/14614331/vaio_hotkey_driver.zip.html

First uninstall off of your computer (if they are installed) :
1. Hotkey Utility
2. Sony utilities DLL

Download: "vaio hotkey driver.zip" and unpack
anywhere on your harddrive (as above)

Then install exactly in this sequence :
1. 1 SONY SHARED LIBRARY
!! reboot your computer !!
2. 2 SONYUTILS
3. 3 HOTKEY
!! reboot your computer again to affect changes !!

Clicked the link and said "file not found" and then how to earn $75 per hour in my spare time.....

Also, how do I remove the hotkey (which I don't think I have anymore, hence the problem) and sony utils? Whaere are they? Add/remove programmes?

Pyro
14-11-2009, 11:16 AM
that was working the other day (month?)....

Pyro
14-11-2009, 11:18 AM
ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/Vaio/hotkey/SONYUTILS_HOTKEY_10_ENG.ZIP

Download the above (have checked it) unzip and run BOTH exe's.

edit: sorry about the other one, should have checked it still worked.

Andy Sweeney
14-11-2009, 11:28 AM
ftp://ftp.vaio-link.com/PUB/Vaio/hotkey/SONYUTILS_HOTKEY_10_ENG.ZIP

Download the above (have checked it) unzip and run BOTH exe's.

edit: sorry about the other one, should have checked it still worked.

Ok, downloaded and ran the first exe in the utils folder which restarted the laptop.

Where do I find the download so i can run the other exe?

Andy Sweeney
14-11-2009, 11:34 AM
Ok, downloaded again and did the hot key one first this time to make sure both have been done.

Not sure about unzipping or anything, as I just clicked 'run'.

Did it's little thing.

Closed the windows down.

Now what?

Still doesn't work unfortunately? :(

Pyro
14-11-2009, 11:38 AM
Thats about the limit of my knowledge on them, if no one else comes up with anything, I'll get hold of my mate later, he is a sony engineer.

Pyro
14-11-2009, 11:40 AM
I have a similar problem on my Tosh Equium, but its the FN button itself, I cant be bothered to chnage the keyboard.

Andy Sweeney
14-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Thats about the limit of my knowledge on them, if no one else comes up with anything, I'll get hold of my mate later, he is a sony engineer.

Cheers.

My problem is that I'm not that advanced and I get a bit lost when people start talking about zips and rars etc.

I didn't see anything zipping if that makes sense. I just clicked extract/run and rebooted.

Pyro
14-11-2009, 12:24 PM
Cheers.

My problem is that I'm not that advanced and I get a bit lost when people start talking about zips and rars etc.

I didn't see anything zipping if that makes sense. I just clicked extract/run and rebooted.

Thats fine, according to several sony forums that should have worked.

Andy Sweeney
14-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Thats fine, according to several sony forums that should have worked.

I can see the folders with the exe in them.
Clicking the exe in their new home doesn't seem to do any thing.

Is it meant to fix the problem in the back ground without me having to do anything, or once these files have downloaded, do I need to do something esle?

Is there a way of telling if I've downloaded them correctly, unzipped them correctly and that they are where they are meant to be to work accordingly?

Pyro
14-11-2009, 02:38 PM
I can see the folders with the exe in them.
Clicking the exe in their new home doesn't seem to do any thing.

Is it meant to fix the problem in the back ground without me having to do anything, or once these files have downloaded, do I need to do something esle?

Is there a way of telling if I've downloaded them correctly, unzipped them correctly and that they are where they are meant to be to work accordingly?

Click and hold on the files in the folder and drag them to your desktop, that should expand them, then try clicking on the ones on the desktop.

Andy Sweeney
14-11-2009, 02:54 PM
I need someone who knows what they are doing to look at it. It's a step beyond my level of competence.

I can only find the hotkey utils folder of which there are two exe in there amongst other stuff.

Clicking on the hkserv.exe does absolutely nothing.

Clicking on the HKwnd.exe brings up and error message "Runtime error - This application has requested the runtime to terminate in an unusual way. Please contact the ydad yada yada"

EDIT: - Just tried to downlowdsome update from Sony, and halfway through one of them it chimed in with an error saying it couldn't update Sony Utils.dll because I don't have sony utils.dll on my machine....

I wonder if this is part of the problem?

I need sony utils.dll I guess?