: anyone else waiting to bid on something on ebay...

peelo
01-10-2010, 01:13 PM
12.30 is bid time :D

Sushi
01-10-2010, 01:16 PM
Weekend for me, and I check it every hour :lol: I already forgot to bid on it the last time it was listed, and have had a nerve wracking week so far waiting for it to end. eBay is no good for my health haha.

Duncan Clarke
01-10-2010, 01:18 PM
http://hammersnipe.auctionstealer.com

Simple.

peelo
Weekend for me, and I check it every hour :lol: I already forgot to bid on it the last time it was listed, and have had a nerve wracking week so far waiting for it to end. eBay is no good for my health haha.

I hate it when you forget... mine has 8 mins to go and there is a piano tuner in the other room... I know he is going to finish just at the wrong moment

joshcroz
^^^

esnipe does it for me.. :D

peelo
01-10-2010, 01:19 PM
http://hammersnipe.auctionstealer.com

Simple.

good way to get your account hacked... I don't think it's right to use them either

Sushi
01-10-2010, 01:20 PM
I hate it when you forget... mine has 8 mins to go and there is a piano tuner in the other room... I know he is going to finish just at the wrong moment

Nobody bid the last time it was up either, so I could have got it easily, this time she has lowered the price and attracted more bidders, I just know I'm going to be battling now.

Best of luck. :D

onestick01
01-10-2010, 01:23 PM
I like the idea of hammersnipe , but nothing gives you that buzz when you are sat there counting down the seconds ready to press confirm bid

Duncan Clarke
01-10-2010, 01:28 PM
good way to get your account hacked... I don't think it's right to use them either

I don't see why. I've been using them for 5+ years now with no problem and it's not like they do anything any less secure than eBay themselves.

wiltsteve
01-10-2010, 01:35 PM
I don't see why. I've been using them for 5+ years now with no problem and it's not like they do anything any less secure than eBay themselves.

Ebay are a massive company who have interests in protecting its customers.

Sniper companys do well for some people but then suddenly they find their ebay accounts hacked.

I use Ebay's automatic sniper tool when I bid on stuff on ebay - it appears on every listing page but some people obviously don't realise its there.

I bid the maximum I'm prepared to pay for the item on the bit which says 'enter your bid'. Then it goes to a screen saying 'Confirm your bid'. Once you click confirm ebay manages to increase my bid up to my maximum automatically. Once it hits my 'limit' or 'maximum bid' it stops.

Works pretty well for me.

:lol:

:D

shelltoes
01-10-2010, 01:43 PM
12.30 is bid time :D
Did you win?

peelo
01-10-2010, 01:48 PM
Did you win?

I did... a full drum kit for my son... he will be very happy :)

peelo
01-10-2010, 01:53 PM

There was a point in the past when there was a correlation between people who had their accounts hacked and people who had signed up and used sniper sites.

I'm sure you are correct... there are plenty which are all kosher.

peelo
01-10-2010, 01:53 PM
I like the idea of hammersnipe , but nothing gives you that buzz when you are sat there counting down the seconds ready to press confirm bid

exactly :)

Duncan Clarke
01-10-2010, 02:01 PM
Ebay are a massive company who have interests in protecting its customers.

Sniper companys do well for some people but then suddenly they find their ebay accounts hacked.
I'd be careful with potentially libellous allegations like that unless you have evidence that sniping sites in general or either of those listed here specifically are hacking eBay accounts. As I said I've been using one for many years and had no issue and have never heard of anyone else ever having been hacked through a sniping site.

I use Ebay's automatic sniper tool
It appears you misunderstand the difference between proxy bidding and sniping. As such I can understand why you can't see the benefits of sniping (for the buyer). If you want to know more I can explain but if you are happy with the way you are bidding the by all means continue.

To be honest, if everyone bid like you, then sniping would not be needed, but they don't so until a time comes when each person can only place one (proxy) bid per item I will keep sniping and getting more wins at lower prices as a result.

onestick01
01-10-2010, 02:09 PM
I did... a full drum kit for my son... he will be very happy :)

Hope youar son gets on with it ok and doesn't do your head in, you may want to invest in a digital kit for practising!!!;)

wiltsteve
01-10-2010, 02:09 PM
I'd be careful with potentially libellous allegations like that unless you have evidence that sniping sites in general or either of those listed here specifically are hacking eBay accounts. As I said I've been using one for many years and had no issue and have never heard of anyone else ever having been hacked through a sniping site.

Libellous against who? ;)

It appears you misunderstand the difference between proxy bidding and sniping. As such I can understand why you can't see the benefits of sniping (for the buyer). If you want to know more I can explain but if you are happy with the way you are bidding the by all means continue.

To be honest, if everyone bid like you, then sniping would not be needed, but they don't so until a time comes when each person can only place one (proxy) bid per item I will keep sniping and getting more wins at lower prices as a result.

Nope... I understand the 'difference', however I see something on ebay I like. I put the maximum I'd be prepared to pay for it. then I ignore (well I try to but who can resist a cheeky peek) until I get the email from ebay to say I've won it or I've been outbid.

I guess what you do is...

Give a company which isn't ebay your full user ID and password to ebay.

then log into ebay
Place the maximum bid (which isn't really the maximum - because you allow the sniper tool to bid more).

You win the item - or you don't.

The end result is the same but you feel you get the item for less.

sound about right?

mr blue bug
01-10-2010, 02:19 PM
I guess what you do is...

Give a company which isn't ebay your full user ID and password to ebay.

then log into ebay
Place the maximum bid (which isn't really the maximum - because you allow the sniper tool to bid more).

You win the item - or you don't.

The end result is the same but you feel you get the item for less.

sound about right?

I let the Sniper site do the full bidding. I don't place any bid on ebay at all.

I put the maximum I would be willing to pay in the sniper site and let it do it all for me.

If everyone used ebay like you do there would be no need for sniper sites, but until that happens then I don't see the point in revealling my hand until the very last second.

wiltsteve
01-10-2010, 02:24 PM
I let the Sniper site do the full bidding. I don't place any bid on ebay at all.

I put the maximum I would be willing to pay in the sniper site and let it do it all for me.

If everyone used ebay like you do there would be no need for sniper sites, but until that happens then I don't see the point in revealling my hand until the very last second.

Cool - I've never used a sniper site so didn't know.

Either way, I'd not be happy handing my ebay id and password to someone who wasn't ebay.

With regards to 'revealling my hand'. I know a lot of people who do this manually on ebay anyway, but its not for me.

I'm a 'fire & forget' type person.

:)

Wiltsteve

peelo
01-10-2010, 02:26 PM
Hope youar son gets on with it ok and doesn't do your head in, you may want to invest in a digital kit for practising!!!;)

He has lessons twice a week and is coming on pretty well... which is why we finally conceded and are getting the kit.

I want a go too.

I have am almost infinite noise threshold tolerance level... there maybe those in earshot who don't :D

peelo
01-10-2010, 02:31 PM
I'd be careful with potentially libellous allegations like that

His comment was not potentially libelous at all... it was fair comment and no person or company was specified.

mr blue bug
01-10-2010, 02:45 PM
With regards to 'revealling my hand'. I know a lot of people who do this manually on ebay anyway, but its not for me.

I'm a 'fire & forget' type person.

Wiltsteve

I used to do it how you do, but you're to easier 'sounded out'. By putting in your maximum bid days before it ends then its easy for someone to push the price up until they beat you by a few pence.

If you left it until the last minute then there's no chance for this 'sounding out' of your max bid.

Up to you though, I prefer to win more often!

wiltsteve
01-10-2010, 02:48 PM
I used to do it how you do, but you're to easier 'sounded out'. By putting in your maximum bid days before it ends then its easy for someone to push the price up until they beat you by a few pence.

If you left it until the last minute then there's no chance for this 'sounding out' of your max bid.

Up to you though, I prefer to win more often!

But I never pay more than I want to for something - my maximum bid.

I've never lost out on anything which has gone for less than my maximum bid.

I've lost out on things which have gone over my maximum bid but thats life and is how auctions work.

monsoir-excelenty
01-10-2010, 02:51 PM
Ethically speaking, I cant see the difference between bidding yourself at the last moment, or getting a snipe tool to do it for you?? The only other alternative is something like bumblebee auctions do, which is, if someone places a bid in the last 10 mins then it rolls another 10 mins...IMO thats a waste of time...

wiltsteve
01-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Ethically speaking, I cant see the difference between bidding yourself at the last moment, or getting a snipe tool to do it for you?? The only other alternative is something like bumblebee auctions do, which is, if someone places a bid in the last 10 mins then it rolls another 10 mins...IMO thats a waste of time...

I don't have an ethical problem with it, more a 'i dont want someone else having my ebay username & password' problem.

monsoir-excelenty
01-10-2010, 03:11 PM

sorry wilts i was referring to this one....

peelo
01-10-2010, 03:16 PM
wiltsteve... I understand why people proxy bid like you do... and you read all kinds of things saying sniping is pointless (and by sniping I mean still just with ebay, not using an external site)

but I think there is sense behind sniping... when I have been at live auctions I wait to bid until the price is up near where I think the thing should be before I bid... sometimes it's clear I am never going to stand a chance, so I never bid... to me it's simply a case of not declaring your hand until you need to

(and yeah I do fully understand how proxy bidding works on ebay and I have done it that way when I couldn't be at my computer)

wiltsteve
01-10-2010, 03:27 PM
wiltsteve... I understand why people proxy bid like you do... and you read all kinds of things saying sniping is pointless (and by sniping I mean still just with ebay, not using an external site)

but I think there is sense behind sniping... when I have been at live auctions I wait to bid until the price is up near where I think the thing should be before I bid... sometimes it's clear I am never going to stand a chance, so I never bid... to me it's simply a case of not declaring your hand until you need to

(and yeah I do fully understand how proxy bidding works on ebay and I have done it that way when I couldn't be at my computer)

I understand sniping - to try to get the item for the cheapest price.

However...I don't worry about it. Occasionally, I might do a search for 'ending soonest' & 'near me' and see if I can grab a bargain nearby in the next 5 minutes but as yet I've not seen something I want or it has been too expensive.

I suppose whatever works for people they should do, but I still wouldn't give my log-in details to a third party.

peelo
01-10-2010, 05:08 PM
but I still wouldn't give my log-in details to a third party.

well that bit we agree on...

I think I actually take issue with the idea that leaving you one and only and max bid to the end if sniping... I'm still proxy bidding... I just do it in the last minute.

Brian Burrows
01-10-2010, 05:29 PM
I'm waiting to 'last minute' bid (not snipe) something that ends at 8.00pm ish GMT.

Currently 0 bids and a decent starting price. :)

Mind you, I just committed THE 'Cardinal Sin' on Ebay - I contacted the seller (he'd JUST listed the bike 10 minutes previously) and bid him by email and bought it. :)

Brian Burrows
01-10-2010, 05:34 PM
I also have a dozen or so (parts) auctions (all from the same seller) that end on Sunday night in my 'watch' list. :)

torpointboy
01-10-2010, 05:40 PM
I use a site that didnt require me to give my password to my ebay account, I just copy and paste the ebay item into their browser and and put my ebay name in a away we go.

True, I didnt use Sniping tools for the first 3 years of Ebay, but after looseing out on two particular really good auctions I thought if you cant beat them.....join them.

pedro
01-10-2010, 05:46 PM
As sad as it may sound. I like the excitement of being on my PC when the auctions about to end, so I don't use sniping tools. If I'm not around at the time and I don't win, I really don't lose any sleep about it.

Carbon
01-10-2010, 05:49 PM
As sad as it may sound. I like the excitement of being on my PC when the auctions about to end, so I don't use sniping tools. If I'm not around at the time and I don't win, I really don't lose any sleep about it.

That's my approach :)

Rach
01-10-2010, 05:53 PM
Yep, 2 days to go though :(

Carbon
01-10-2010, 05:55 PM
Yep, 2 days to go though :(

Same here! Almost certainly not the same item though :lol:

Salamandertome
01-10-2010, 05:59 PM
So how many seconds do you leave it before clicking the 'bid' button? I usually do it at around 10 seconds, sometimes its not enough if its running slowly.

I only ever bid in advance if I am out when the item finishes: and I find a rarely win when I do this. I am convinced last minute bidding of the same amount increases your chance of winning simply because people dont get a chance to react. It shouldnt make a difference, but there is often someone who doesnt understand the difference between "winning the auction" and "winning the auction at a good price": but they are the people ebay like the best!

pedro
01-10-2010, 06:03 PM
So how many seconds do you leave it before clicking the 'bid' button?

I'm not telling you. One day I may be bidding against you :lol:.

paddy700d
01-10-2010, 06:13 PM
I might be bidding on an Aircooled thing on Sunday night thats in deepest darkest Germany (if the wife lets me :o)

I want it I want it I want it! :stamps feet:

Its her birthday today so I thought of bidding on it for her as a gift, she cant even drive tho :D:lol:

Duncan Clarke
01-10-2010, 08:29 PM
I understand sniping - to try to get the item for the cheapest price.
Exactly, and it works. That's why I do it. Why pay more than I need to? There is also the benefit of increasing your chances of getting the item you want. Again, why not?

If the only issue is your username/password then fair enough I'm never going to convince you. However, as I said I've been using the site I linked for many years with absolutely no problems. They have too much to lose as they make money from people trusting them. There is a far far higher risk of allowing someone to see your debit/credit card than there is here.

The fact remains that sniping is the best way to buy on eBay. It's just that I find using an external service to be more convenient and IMO has no downsides.

I am not going to try and convince you though. I'm just here to inform people who are interested. Personally if I was the only one sniping, then that would suit me fine as I'd still get the bargains, but also my sales would go for more too. If you like the idea, try it. If not, then don't.

Brian Burrows
01-10-2010, 08:52 PM
I'm waiting to 'last minute' bid (not snipe) something that ends at 8.00pm ish GMT.

Currently 0 bids and a decent starting price. :)

I won it. :D

paddy700d
01-10-2010, 09:02 PM
I won it. :D

Hooray! I hope I'm allowed to bid on my thing as I think one way or another I have German transportation sorted out now :D

Brian Burrows
01-10-2010, 10:54 PM
Hooray! I hope I'm allowed to bid on my thing as I think one way or another I have German transportation sorted out now :D
:D

Good luck with that dude. :)

scoob77
01-10-2010, 11:30 PM
I was watching an item a while back, but knew I wouldn't be near a PC at end time. So I put my max in 2 days before...

Get back to find I'd won it with 3 to spare. There'd been 2 last few secs bids too, all it did was bump up price I paid, no benefit to sniper at all. I usually do it myself, as in bid last minute, but I wouldn't use a sniping tool... Trust reasons like Wiltsteve

Watching item that ends in 15mins on EBay.it but it's getting close to my max as I have shipping to worry about too

Jules65
01-10-2010, 11:37 PM
I want to bid on this.......... but the wife has made certain remarks when I showed her it, that now I dare not :(

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190445114699&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

I use to have a 'B' prefix one that was the same colour so wanted to relive some old memories. I had it for 8yrs but sold it some 14yrs ago.

monsoir-excelenty
02-10-2010, 12:49 AM

I take it all back:mad:some b@#$ard just sniped me and got a bargin...I was waiting patiently till last few seconds but the old sausage fingers let me down..:lol:

Sushi
03-10-2010, 10:57 PM
I won, but the fact that my heart felt like it was going to rip through my chest in those last moments of waiting to snipe, makes me think I should give up eBay. :lol: