: Advice on fitting electrolux fridges?

Bugsy_Malone 666
23-05-2012, 11:47 PM
Ok I have an old electrolux fridge which was stripped from a caravan we dismantled, and in my camper (a 72 bay) a friend of mine provided a professionally made cupboard which by luck takes this fridge behind the drivers seat in a cupboard.

Now my van has never had a fridge, there is no hole in the panel work although I want to (reluctantly) cut a hole in the side for the vent. Problem is I dont know the best way to measure up the exhaust pipe and cut the hole.

Any suggestions?

negawsklov
24-05-2012, 09:21 AM
http://www.club80-90.co.uk/pages/downloads/tech/ElectroluxRM122.pdf

Bugsy_Malone 666
24-05-2012, 11:07 PM
dude your a legend, the RM122F is exactly the one I have!

Thank you very much, I have downloaded it for future reference :)

SPANNERBOY
24-05-2012, 11:40 PM
Sell it on ebay and buy a waeco compression fridge bud,no carbon monoxide,no hot fumes in summer,no flat batterys after 2 hours and modern looking. p.s no holes in the body.

Bugsy_Malone 666
25-05-2012, 12:45 AM
the only problem with the waeco, is the price for a start! even if I could sell the electrolux, I doubt I'd be able to get that much for it.

The other issue is power, they are as juicy as my cool box currently is, which eats batteries very quickly. I know the electrolux can run on 12v, but is primarily designed to run on 12v while your driving, my current cool box does that and then just drinks the battery dry in about a day.

Working with refrigeration systems all the time I can see the point the a proper type fridge setup, but I think its cost prohibited in this case.

As for modern looking, least of my worries lol the cooker unit is 1976 and the van is 1972, period old is where its at.

I will keep my eyes peeled though.

SPANNERBOY
25-05-2012, 07:45 AM
the only problem with the waeco, is the price for a start! even if I could sell the electrolux, I doubt I'd be able to get that much for it.

The other issue is power, they are as juicy as my cool box currently is, which eats batteries very quickly. I know the electrolux can run on 12v, but is primarily designed to run on 12v while your driving, my current cool box does that and then just drinks the battery dry in about a day.

Working with refrigeration systems all the time I can see the point the a proper type fridge setup, but I think its cost prohibited in this case.

As for modern looking, least of my worries lol the cooker unit is 1976 and the van is 1972, period old is where its at.

I will keep my eyes peeled though.

The waecos dont eat batteys,mine last for 5 days on constant on a leisure battery.

Bugsy_Malone 666
25-05-2012, 08:18 AM
The waecos dont eat batteys,mine last for 5 days on constant on a leisure battery.

What battery/batteries have you got? Looking at the waeco it seems to be 40-50w power consumption which is what my cooler is but that eats through the leisure battery (110amp apparently) quicker than I'd like.

phil5556
25-05-2012, 08:31 AM
What battery/batteries have you got? Looking at the waeco it seems to be 40-50w power consumption which is what my cooler is but that eats through the leisure battery (110amp apparently) quicker than I'd like.

When I built my camper I looked into compressor fridges, like spannerboy says people regularly reported 4-5 use on a battery. Don't forget it won't be running constantly as it will be thermostat controlled. It was cost that stopped me fitting one in the end, it's on the list of stuff to eventually change if I keep the van.

Bugsy_Malone 666
25-05-2012, 12:12 PM
When I built my camper I looked into compressor fridges, like spannerboy says people regularly reported 4-5 use on a battery. Don't forget it won't be running constantly as it will be thermostat controlled. It was cost that stopped me fitting one in the end, it's on the list of stuff to eventually change if I keep the van.

Least its not just me being a tight arse when it comes to cost :lol: I like the idea but just cant justify the cost. I have an electrolux fridge, which I need to test, but essentially its going to cost me the price of some fresh gas line an a hole in my van as opposed to 500! I might use the fridge for maybe 5 days total in a year so cant justify the cost at all!

phil5556
25-05-2012, 12:55 PM
Least its not just me being a tight arse when it comes to cost :lol: I like the idea but just cant justify the cost. I have an electrolux fridge, which I need to test, but essentially its going to cost me the price of some fresh gas line an a hole in my van as opposed to 500! I might use the fridge for maybe 5 days total in a year so cant justify the cost at all!

First one I put a fridge in we got for 25 so I know where you're coming from.
This van I bought a new one for 200, the equivalent size compressor fridge was over 500 at the time. 3 way fridges work great, just make sure it's vented & flued properly.
And test it before you fit it! :)

pete.type25
25-05-2012, 02:43 PM
whizz it over to me for testing (silchester)

Bugsy_Malone 666
26-05-2012, 05:10 PM
whizz it over to me for testing (silchester)

do you do them or rebuild them?

pete.type25
26-05-2012, 05:32 PM
Service and repair (if required)

Bugsy_Malone 666
26-05-2012, 06:15 PM
Service and repair (if required)

In that case I do have a question, is it possible to obtain new door seals for them?

alex1916v
26-05-2012, 06:26 PM
im about to fit one im my split, granted i dont really wanna drill the OG long side panel on my van... but needs must!

i was gonna try and knock up a custom flu which would come out under the d/s tub.. bit the angles would be too tight and it would mean putting the hot flu accross all the cooling section off pipework on the rear of the fridge...

in an ideal world the exhaust/flu was on the rear right, rather than the left my idea would be perfect...

ive alreadly built the unit round it, just gotta get back to the caravan breakers to buy another flu kit as i cut it down to try and mount it under the seat... but its not gonna work!

they run most effectivley on gas btw.... and they use fuck all of it too...

like you said 12v for driving... so witha 3way you'd plug it into the hose 230V the night/day before that gets it down to temp, then drive with it on 12v, then flick onto gas at a campsite without a hook-up or hook-up to the campsites 230V! perfect!

http://i957.photobucket.com/albums/ae52/alex1916v/P5130001.jpg

now that ive mounted the fridge, and built its box around the fridge, (gonna have a sink ontop of the fridge!!!)

the flu vent will be a little higer up, as they have a 45* peice at the top....

pete.type25
26-05-2012, 06:34 PM
In that case I do have a question, is it possible to obtain new door seals for them?
Never tried to obtain a new door seal, is yours really bad??

Bugsy_Malone 666
26-05-2012, 11:39 PM
Never tried to obtain a new door seal, is yours really bad??

well probably a little flat/mouldy which I need to try and clean off but I dont think this fridge has been used in 20 years or more! going to give it a try outside first and see how it works or if it fireballs :lol:

alex1916v
27-05-2012, 12:10 AM
it'll work fine, its a sealed system, as long as the heat electrode thingys get hot on 12v and 240v it'll be fine... it takes a good few hours to reduce temp enough to notice it, it chills out the freezer compartment and cooles the rest.

the gas side is the same, it heats the element with the flu.

mines more or less the same as the above user guide, but has elecric ingtion, so if the flame goes out for what ever reason it click's automatically to re-ignite the flame, when the 'push button' style will carry on leaking gas ( a little) till the thrmocoupple (spelling?)cuts the gas...

Bugsy_Malone 666
27-05-2012, 02:17 PM
till the thrmocoupple (spelling?)

Thermocouple lol think you got carred away with the P's :incheek:

Yeah mines not a 240v one though, just 12v + Gas and by its age its a push button to start and thats about it.

I need to remember to pick up some insulation I have at work, its for the hot/cold water systems and will be perfect for insulating the flue from the interior paneling when its done!

BTW, I like your bus :) Centrelines rock :D

alex1916v
27-05-2012, 08:39 PM
cheers man, yeah they are my fav wheel too... 150 for 4 at bugjam 3yr's ago... with tyres!! hahaha steal!

Bugsy_Malone 666
28-05-2012, 11:39 AM
cheers man, yeah they are my fav wheel too... 150 for 4 at bugjam 3yr's ago... with tyres!! hahaha steal!

Bargin! I always find the wide 5 ones look much better than 4 stud, somehow a bit more hardcore :D