Volkszone Forum banner

eBay selling limits

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  andy_k 
#1 ·
Does anyone know how to find their account selling limit on eBay?

Where is says it is in the "Help" section doesn't match with the information under my account.

Long story is, I have two accounts (yes you are allowed to), one which I've had for years and I use to sell Hot Wheels cars and general bits and bobs on an irregular basis. Lately I have been buying a lot of old magazine job lots, taking out the ones I need to complete my collection and selling the others individually, so I set up the new account just for magazines to make things easier - less chance of duplicate listings etc.
Last month eBay increased my selling limit on my new account to 780 items, great but that includes any that are live from the end of one month into the next, so I've only been able to put a few new listings up today, and I can't make any more until Jan :(

So, my options are;

List things on my old account and try not to duplicate any of what will ultimately be several thousand items.

Change my new account to a Business one, no charge but I'm not sure if the tax man will be on my back, and there are stricter legal requirements.

Do nothing and just wait until I am given more listings by eBay (limit can only be increased every 30 days, and they did it a week ago).

So, where can I find the limit for my old account, and what course of action would you suggest?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Scroll down on your summary page to Monthly Selling Allowances.
ebay increases you allowance depending on activity. I'm not sure if you can request a higher allowance. I think it has to be 'earned' I think ebay gaurantee all sales in some way so they have to limit the sales on sellers whilst they prove they provide good service and aren't going to 'do a bunk'

As far as tax goes, the tax man expects 20% of your profits.

Quote "There is no hiding place: the taxman can access information from eBay (including the credit/debit card companies involved) and he has sophisticated software to trawl the internet.

So if you don't want a knock on the door, it's best to declare your profits, either use an Accountant who will advise you on how to proceed and how to maximise your deductions or fill in a self-assessment tax return.

Quote "If you have been trading for some time or have sold any valuable items but have not disclosed the fact to HMRC, you should get your affairs in order urgently. Where you sell a few items that have been gathering dust in the attic for years you are very unlikely to be considered trading. If you repeatedly buy things to resell, make things with a view to selling them, or frequently sell items on eBay, with a view to making a profit, then you are trading and should notify HM Revenue & Customs (HMRC)."

If you're making some money then continuing to sell and get 80% of what you make it is better than packing it in and getting nothing. Plus if you get caught selling and not declaring there can be stiff penalties and you would be expected to pay back what you owe, without deductions taken into account.

On the plus side, in the last budget there was a £1000 limit set on what can be considered selling your own items.

Quote " Under the new allowances, from April individuals with trading income won’t need to declare or pay tax on the first £1,000 they earn per year. Should they earn more than that amount they will have to declare it, but they can still take advantage of the allowance."

#5 · (Edited)
If you go on your Account page and open Seller Dashboard, scroll right to the very bottom, it shows your totals sales to date.

It can come as a shock when you realise how much you've done, it did for us hence the recent research and knowledge.

Seeing my Accountant next week! I'd rather carry on selling without the worry.

80% of something is better than 100% of nothing!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.