Volkszone Forum banner

Engine end float questions.

13K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  TDC VW PARTS 
#1 ·
On a 1200 cc engine should i be able to feel a bit of end float on the crank or not? Can the end float be measured in situe and if so what is acceptable?

#5 ·
You measure the float (best with a dial gauge if you have one or can borrow one) and adjust with shims under the flywheel on the crankshaft to correct it. you should only use 3 shims; they can be bought in various thickness. Replace the "O" ring in the flywheel recess at the same time.

#8 ·
You will pound out the thrust on the case and then you will need to rebuild the motor and have the case thrust cut, if it goes to deep the case will be junk. We just took apart a case that had this issue and the bearing collor came off when we took the flywheel off. Fix it now before it gets worse how it is still cheap to fix.

#7 ·
Thats over the allowable amount, but not massively so. Re-shimming may well help, but its not the shims thats worn, its the case (bearing thrust face). At .25 endfloat, I'd say you'll get a fair few thousand miles out of her yet, but it will slowly increase as crank pounds back and forth. Personally, if its not a daily driver I'd just use it for now, I daresay there's a lot of vw's out there running more endfloat than that.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.