Volkszone Forum banner

How much does it cost to register a foreign car into the UK?

12K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  swampcooler 
#1 ·
Hi

I'd like to know the cost of just the registering process for a used foreign car and a new foreign car into the UK. Some of you will have no doubt been through this process.

Thanks

#4 ·
It's pretty simple and all the info is here...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motorin...cle/ImportingAndExportingAVehicle/DG_4022583\

After you do the necessary at the DVLA office, you'll either get your new docs in the post, no questions asked, or you'll be asked to present the vehicle for inspection. If so, they'll tell you to trailer it there, but I just drove mine. An eyebrow was raised, but whatevs. Just make sure you don't get nicked for having no road tax. The 'inspection' took all of 10 seconds and was just them having a look at the VIN plate.

#8 ·
If it's a new car or nearly new you'll have to pay VAT on it (even if it's from within the EU).

If it's less than ten years old you will need a certificate of conformity. A new Lancia isn't type approved in the UK. A certificate of conformity from another EU country should be okay... but this is what you will need to check.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.