Volkszone Forum banner

T25 Power Steering Conversion ?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  The Dee Jay 
#1 ·
A friend of mine has a T25, which he has owned for years and is part of the family. But he wife doesn't like driving it because of the heavy steering. So much so they are considering changing it for a T4.

I have convinced them it is a bad, bad move.

In order for them to keep the van they will need to get it converted to power steering, is it possible and who does it ?

#9 ·
Most popular method of converting T25 is to use a late 'T25 Caravelle' rack. Then have a look round the scrapyards, ebay etc for an electric power steering pump. Citroen/Peugeot unit is the most popular.
Electric pump is powered from an ignition switched relay & mounted on the chassis close to the front of the van. This saves running long hydraulic hoses to the back of the van for an engine driven pump.
If you want to go the long hose system with an engine driven pump you must have a water cooled engine. It is easy to fit a pump to a water cooled engine as there is plenty of room for pump & drive belt.
However it is almost impossible to fit an engine driven pump to an air cooled engine as there is no room for pump or belt.
A friend of mine did the 'Caravelle Rack & Electric Pump' conversion a few years ago on his T25. The difference is amazing especially when negotiating supermarket car parks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.