Volkszone Forum banner

Split window conversion on Beetle

Body 
10K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  mechanoid 
#1 ·
First off, I know this is a contentious issue, I like the split look and will be modifying the car in question with other things, things I would not dare to do to a real split, hence the thread.

I know in some circles this is wrong and punishable by death, but I'm going to do it and help in doing so would be appreciated.

Got a 69 bug which I want to convert to split window. Anyone know of a good supplier of metal ones. I found someone on the continent, but very pricey, around the £500 mark, including delivery. Wondered if anyone knew where/who to get one from in UK, preferably.

Even a source for original roof's would be appreciated, I've tried parts emporium and VW relics, etc.

I do not want a fibreglass / GRP unit as they are pants and will eventually come away from the metal.

Any pointers?

#3 ·
hey,
ive got one genuine section hanging of my garage wall, in dorset.
I wasnt planning ever on selling , but if your possibly keen on the location of this, then feel free to email me. Paul.Grice@JPmorgan.com

unsure of price, i paid £300 for it about 5 years ago, but we can discuss if any interest.

1949 split, but pics/chat would be best, no worries if not keen.
Poze

#4 ·
I've no problem with what you want to do, its your car etc etc :D, but I wouldn't try and make a car as late as 1969 look like a split as its too much work IMHO.
All the window apertures on the '69 (with the obvious exception of the rear window graft) are going to be too big to enable the bodyshell to look convincingly like a split....
Doors are nothing like the earlier splits/ovals which have pull-out external door handles.
What about the dash? A '69 will have the '58 onwards 'big window' style dash, so unless you install an oval dash in an attempt to make a zwitter-style car or install a double-glovebox split dash its always going to be a dead give-away......
All in all, too much aggro to do properly in my opinion (reckon you'd be better off getting a split body and putting that on your later running gear!) , but as said before it's your car......:)

#5 ·
Thanks for the advice Nessy, I agree, it's not going to look convincingly like a split, but it will have the split look at the back which is what I'm after.

I'm not looking to fool anyone, the purists will always see the obvious from a mile and even if it looked the mutts nuts - exactly like a split the purists would still hate it.

the dash is getting the Porsche treatment anyway. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.