Volkszone Forum banner

Dumb Ass Leisure Battery Question

14K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  DLC 
#1 ·
Ok, so I want to fit a leisure battery, and I've looked at the various wiring diagrams like this one

Thanks to Althesparky for that picture :D

Which I reckon I understand - the leisure battary only charges when the alternator is kicking out current and isn't used for the starting cycle?

Problem is the only things I want to run are already wired in to the van (and work without the keys in) ie stero, *** lighter socket and internal light, water pump as well when it's fitted) and I don't want to re-wire all the internal stuff.

I've looked in the engine bay and there is only the one thick lead running from the positive terminal, so I can't see an easy way of splitting the wiring from starter motor wire and everything else and running everything else of the leisure battary either Which was my first thought.

So is there a way to fit something automatic to discontect the starting battery from everything else (split discharge relay, which sounds icky :rolleyes:) when I'm stoped, or should I just install one of them battery isolator switches and do it by hand?

Thanks

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Aye, that's sounds pretty simple, but it's kinda what I wanted to avoid, re-wiring stuff that is aready thier, Ok so it's only taking something from one fuse box to another, but it's still effort ;)

In my defence though, it will all get done properly (probably Zig unit and proper hook up job)when the bus is re-fitted after it's re-sprayed, hence why I'm looking for a quick fix now with minimal fuss :D

#4 ·
you will need to trace the wires back from the things they go to, if you dont know what you are doing with electrics get someone else to do it for you, not only will it be a pain in the ass to sort out but it can be a fire hazard if you do it wrong!

There are some good diagrams on vintagebus.com that show the colours of the wires used as standard, but these have sometimes been changed/replaced over the years.

#5 ·
Cheers mate, I'll have a look at that link, and when the rain finaly stops I'll have a look at where everything is on the bus and see how I feel about fitting it all up properly, *** lighter and stero shouldn't be a problem to sort, just the interior light, and I can wire up the water pump from scratch so that shouldn't be a problem. Really I'm just being lazy as it's only a short term fix, I think though the least effort long run is to ensure everything I want to use if fitted to the leisure battery rather than have to get out of the van to isolate the main battery :lol:

#6 ·
Really I'm just being lazy as it's only a short term fix, I think though the least effort long run is to ensure everything I want to use if fitted to the leisure battery rather than have to get out of the van to isolate the main battery :lol:
I think you're right there, do it right, it doesn't take long.:)
If you're going to run a wire from the battery to the front (new fusebox) then fuse that wire as close to the battery as possible.

#9 ·
I reckon I'm going to wire the stero, *** lighter outlets socket and water pump up to the leisure battery like you are meant to as I'll be putting in a new water pump and stero soon anyway, and if I can't find the internal light wire then I'll just leave it, we've got more than enough lanterns and stick up lights not to really need it.

Thanks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.