Volkszone Forum banner

Pink or blue antifreeze - Difference ?

Engine 
Tags
antifreeze
12K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  VDub Campers Ltd 
#1 ·
Could somebody please tell me the benefits of using pink antifreeze in a watercooled vw to the blue, as apparently its not allowed :confused:

#2 ·
It is allowed. Any decent antifreeze works. Some better than others. What is bad, is water. Just like I say on oil. The wrong oil won't usually kill your engine, no oil or dirty oil will. A coolant with rust inhibitor changed regularly is good.

#13 ·
Antifreeze

Little confused what is antifreeze ?, I have a flask of tea when I'm out in my buggy and its cold (which is most of the time).

Not sure the wife would be too keen to smear something on me what ever the colour !

:lol:

#15 ·
Talking specifically VW/Audi here; I thought the blue stuff was for cars older than 1996 and the pink stuff (G12) for vehicles after that date?
The car handbooks contain dire warnings about not to mix the two types, but don't know what would happen if you used the pink antifreeze in an older engine......:confused:

#19 ·
The pink volkswagen G12 antifreeze is the recommended coolant for watercooled VW's because it does not corrode the head bolts and for this reason can be left in the system for an extensive period of time, ie over 5 years, some people say for life. All other cheaper coolants cause corrosion and therefore require frequent changing, ie every 18 months- 2 years.
G12 coolant is about 30% more expensive, but well worth it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.