Volkszone Forum banner

1600S Beetle - can anyone tell me about them please????

General 
12K views 20 replies 10 participants last post by  callaghan 
#1 ·
Looking for an engine for my van and there is a 1600S for sale for spares.

I have found they have a curved screen and a big dash, however still have torsion bar suspension and were made between 1974 to 1978 in south Africa.

Therefore what I'm asking is, is there anything else worth robbing from it? High ratio box? Will it be swing axle or IRS? Also would it be really bad to break it, I assume they ain't that common?

Cheers
Stu

#3 ·
Don't know much about SA Beetles you're referring to , except think I've read that despite having a curved screen and torsion bar suspension the beam is link-pin (ie not ball-joint) and is 5 stud....hence the wide 5 SA 'Sprintstars' you see advertised over here from time to time....
I'd say there cannot be that many in the UK, but doubt if its worth any more than any other 70's Bug.....
Would say though that it would be great if you could get some pics of it , is it basically a front torsion beam body with a curved screen or is it a McPherson-strut body adapted to take the link-pin set-up????.......

;)

#4 ·
a mates uncle has one of those curved screen standard south african bugs.
a real odd ball, essentially theyre just a standard bug that have a windscreen and dash from a 1303

fuel tank and everything forward of it is standard beetle
the hood is one off thos as its standard beetle at the valance but has the 1303 top where it meets the windscreen

the ridges around the hood handle are also totally different too as the lines try and match the very late 1303 cabrio hood

they also have elephants tail lights but mounted up housigns similar to pre 72 taillights

#5 ·
Ahh, very interesting!
Funny you mention the rear lights, yes aren't they elephants feet but mounted on SA-only pods a bit further down the wing than they'd be on a 'normal' post-73 Beetle?
Remember seeing a pic of the rear end of a SA Beetle in VW Motoring magazine (now defunct) many years ago.....it was horrid with those lights............:lol::lol:.

#6 ·
yeah them uncircumsized taillights are one of the most unco looking things ive seen of a factory beetle

heres some pics of my mates uncles one
its a 75 model from memory

#13 ·
Going to have to weigh it up... I don't really want another beetle, so it would only be worthwhile me getting it a ticket and then selling it on and even then it's not worth what it is in parts (unless someone tells me otherwise)

It isn't bad at all... Only bad bit is that it needs the passenger sides heater channel small patch.... The paint is pretty good, with only a couple of bubbles in the paintwork
Its really odd, wide bonnet, but when you open it the spare is upright.

If breaking, the interior, and rear pop outs have been spoken for. Engine is going in my bay, the box will likely be a good spare for when I put my turbo motor in my next toy, it shifts really well and I believe its high ratios... I'm currently looking for a ghia and love the SA sprints (and there is 5 of them), so they would likely find home on that. The steering on it is really good and it has a linkpin beam that is again in really good condition, so could narrow that and put it on the ghia if need be and save having it off the road while i do the work.
Other bits of the body would be cut out and used im other people projects and all the chrome, bumpers doors are really good. The locks all work of one key so would sell as a complete set....

But tonight, I couldn't bring myself to start removing bits... It looked so sad... :lol:

#20 ·
if you bought e.g. a 74 bug that had been hacked about with, the previous owner having put lots of 'wrong-year' wings/panels etc on it, people would be begging you to break it, but since vw have done the buggering about in their own parts bin, it makes it a rare car apparently. I hate to see any bug wasted - how many did you see on the road today ? - but I've got a '72-75 SA bug at the minute & it's a nightmare to get anything to fit: cables, steering column, trim etc etc are all wrong for the year & model. Some bits early, some bits late. Break it & sell the chassis & floorpan to someone who is so concerned about the rarity (irritation) value that they'll pay top dollar to spend the next 10 years looking for the correct parts

It does look v clean tho, 5-stud wheels too . . .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.