Rustoleum Beetle Summer 09 project - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts. Forum available for sponsorship

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 22-04-2009, 06:36 PM   #1
camparikiller
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Rustoleum Beetle Summer 09 project

hi all!

I need to paint my car to stop it rusting up, and although it pains me to change from pink, I've decided to go down the Rustoleum and Roller route that so many people have done.

So, bit of history - this 69 has been in the family for 20 years, was originally sprayed by my dad back in the late 80s, and was garaged all that time until just over 2 years ago when i put it all back together, got it running and got it back on the road.

It went from this:-

...to this

Which is some improvement i think you will agree!

However, 2 years of use has cause the original paint job to start cracking and coming off with a bit of surface rust coming through, and I no longer have a garage for it so it needs sorting. This has come about since it got crashed into in January - the rear right wing was replaced and painted and although it looks great, it's making the rest of it look a bit tired.

Plus I'm worried about what another winter outside will do to it if i don't take steps.

Here are a couple of shots of the obvious cracking paint and lumps missing:

It's not too bad underneath but you can see something needs doing before it gets any worse

So, I've got the old bent crashed into wing to practice on, and am in the middle of prepping it the best I can. It's quite good as it has rust and dents on it, so I can practice using filler, kurust, and rubbing down before I attack the main thing.

Here is a photo!

And here are some supplies I bought yesterday

So, the colour scheme I have decided on is very dark purple all over, including the wings, with cream doors and side panels, in a two-tone style. Also, I'm thinking black bumpers and black wheels now as well

Here is a link to the colour which I shall be ordering tomorrow.

http://allral.com/view.php?id=4007

For those who have not seen the roller painted car method, have a look at this http://wiki.80-90.co.uk/index.php/Bo...oller_painting as there are plenty of people on here who have done the same thing.

So, over the next weeks and months I'll update as I go along - wish me luck!
Old 26-04-2009, 03:33 PM   #2
camparikiller
Seasoned Chat Slut

Well, I've ordered the paint and have decided on one of the following schemes, depending on the exact shade the purple comes out at when it arrives. As the interior is cream I am leaning towards the white one.

I've got a fair bit of prep to do on the front wings and the bonnet, but rather than taking it apart now I'll wait until the paint turns up and practice on the wing first - I'll get pics of the first coat up hopefully at the end of this week.

Old 26-04-2009, 05:11 PM   #3
Tingly Bill
I'm not an addict... honest!

awesome, its nice that its been in your family for so long. i like your bold colour choices ive seen a few dark purple bugs and they do look good.
Tingly Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:19 PM   #4
camparikiller
Seasoned Chat Slut

cheers Bill

Well, there's a slight delay on the paint so i have starting taking the car apart. I've prepped the front wings and just started on the rear decklid today, tomorrow I'll get the front bonnet off and perhaps the rear wings.

Paint ETA is this Friday so hopefully after the weekend I'll be able to put up some pics of the first coat on all these bits. Sanding down is very boring - I don;t recommend Wilko's wet and dry because although it's cheap, it runs out of after about half a wing, so I might get some decent stuff online.

It's quite satisfying getting that rust off though...

my front room is starting to fill up.....

Last edited by camparikiller; 04-05-2009 at 07:29 PM.
camparikiller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 07:42 PM   #5
User_Name
I really must get out more

i will sound like such a noob now (thats cos i am a bit of a newbie) what is rustoleum and why is it used? cheers
Old 04-05-2009, 09:49 PM   #6
camparikiller
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
i will sound like such a noob now (thats cos i am a bit of a newbie) what is rustoleum and why is it used? cheers
have a browse through the wiki link i put up the top there, and at this one too http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/showthread.php?p=5854391

It's rust inhibiting paint that dries to a flat finish, if you get it thinned down correctly, which you can apply with a high-density roller. The point of it is a) it's bloody cheap (<30 to do a whole car) and b) you have to have a lot of spare time (which I have at the moment). As long as you put the effort in with the wet and dry sanding between coats, you can get a pretty decent finish out of it, by all accounts. The stuff in the UK is called Combicolour Smooth.

I've never done anything like this before so who knows how it will turn out! I'll get some pics up as soon as the paint arrives and hopefully you'll see what I mean.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:28 AM   #7
megocorptoys
Chat Slapper

please keep us updated.

Chief Inspector Clouseau, in reference to a priceless white\
Steinway piano.
megocorptoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 10:38 AM   #8
shipleym701
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Yeah i am on the verge of a rustoleum repaint and have also never done it before so il keep a close eye on yours!
Best of Luck.
P.S i think the purple and white looks really good!
shipleym701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 11:14 PM   #9
camparikiller
Seasoned Chat Slut

I've got a bit of a question about prep. Take a look at this:-

Now, there were a lot of chips in the paint so I sanded them out and went to bare metal as you can see.

I've dulled down the paint where there is paint using 180 grit. And the transitions between bare metal and paint are very smooth to the touch. As far as I can tell it's ready for paint, but I just wanted an opinion from anyone who has used this method as to the next step. Do I need to sand the bare metal down using finer grit paper - my research suggests that the first sanding needs only be quite coarse before the 600 grit between coats sanding.

Also, will Rustoleum happily sit over P38 filler, or do I need that top coat filler sealer stuff that you can get to go over that first?

Finally, will a cheap electric spray your fence gun work on this stuff (15 quid like this one http://shopping.aol.co.uk/product-de...tails/35700716) or would a electric HVLP gun (like this one for 55 quid http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...paint-mixers-2) be better?

I was gonna perhaps spray the vents above the rear boot on the main body as I can't see a way to roller those.

I'm itching to get some paint on next week - but the weather forecast looks grotty!!!
Old 09-05-2009, 03:04 PM   #10
megocorptoys
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by camparikiller View Post
I've got a bit of a question about prep. Take a look at this:-

Now, there were a lot of chips in the paint so I sanded them out and went to bare metal as you can see.

I've dulled down the paint where there is paint using 180 grit. And the transitions between bare metal and paint are very smooth to the touch. As far as I can tell it's ready for paint, but I just wanted an opinion from anyone who has used this method as to the next step. Do I need to sand the bare metal down using finer grit paper - my research suggests that the first sanding needs only be quite coarse before the 600 grit between coats sanding.

Also, will Rustoleum happily sit over P38 filler, or do I need that top coat filler sealer stuff that you can get to go over that first?

Finally, will a cheap electric spray your fence gun work on this stuff (15 quid like this one http://shopping.aol.co.uk/product-de...tails/35700716) or would a electric HVLP gun (like this one for 55 quid http://www.machinemart.co.uk/shop/pr...paint-mixers-2) be better?

I was gonna perhaps spray the vents above the rear boot on the main body as I can't see a way to roller those.

I'm itching to get some paint on next week - but the weather forecast looks grotty!!!

Mate great questions in there, very close to what i needed to know so a straight to the top plug for this one....

Chief Inspector Clouseau, in reference to a priceless white\
Steinway piano.
megocorptoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread