For 6v to 12V conversion what parts whould be needed - Page 2 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech > Tech FAQ archive

Tech FAQ archive Useful and frequently asked tech questions. Mods, please move FAQs into this archive.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts

Old 25-01-2011, 07:38 PM   #11
adi #2
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

Interasting thing that most people don't know is that ipods and other USB things don't run from 12v, the USB standard is 5.0v.

So, a cig lighter to USB adapter actually drops the voltage to 5.0 from 12-14.

So, to run an ipod with a 6v system (more actually 7.2 or so with the engine running) you just need a low-overhead 5.0v positive regulator, which is a very cheap and common component.

You can rig up a pretty decent audio system with 7v as well, but obviously you cant just use a normal off-the-shelf stereo.
Old 25-01-2011, 08:11 PM   #12
jerico
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

I read somwhere that you can run the stereo in isolation from a 12v marine battery and just give it a charge when it needs a top up? Probably no good for a daily but ok for tune on a trip out, deff not good for a battery to keep it running flat and it wouldn't power a full on ICE system ?
Old 25-01-2011, 10:42 PM   #13
adi #2
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (1)

Thats not a very 'elegant' system when it comes to engineering tho, its a bit of a bad solution.

The best solution with current technology I think is to ditch the traditional 'car stereo' completely. Use your ipod (which runs on 5v) as the interface, and have like, say 4 speakers, two left and two right, front and rear, powered by individual amps (we are talking amps in the electronic sense, not 'amps' as in 'big metal boxes with Fli written on them') running on 7v directly from the dynamo.

That way you get a combination of a modern interface in the shape of an ipod, but oldschool power amps which give you the best kind of sound, and can run from 7v.

Of course you cant just go into halfrauds and buy all this, it takes a bit of messing around, but a very good quality system can be made even on 6v cars.

I built one once and it worked pretty well. PM me for details if anybody is interested. The electronics is not that 'heavy' in it, its pretty doable even by somebody who is not so used to electronics.
Old 26-01-2011, 12:04 AM   #14
Howard66
VZ Staff

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (0)

You can jump start a 6V car from a 12V battery easily enough.. Just don't keep it connected for long!!

As mentioned, a 6V system in good order will be on par with with a 12V system.

Radio I could understand, but why would you want a modern radio in a classic Beetle anyway? Adi #2 has the best solution if you want decent sound

You can buy 6V-12V boosters which work pretty well
Old 26-01-2011, 08:05 AM   #15
danny_galaga
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi #2 View Post
Thats not a very 'elegant' system when it comes to engineering tho, its a bit of a bad solution.

The best solution with current technology I think is to ditch the traditional 'car stereo' completely. Use your ipod (which runs on 5v) as the interface, and have like, say 4 speakers, two left and two right, front and rear, powered by individual amps (we are talking amps in the electronic sense, not 'amps' as in 'big metal boxes with Fli written on them') running on 7v directly from the dynamo.

That way you get a combination of a modern interface in the shape of an ipod, but oldschool power amps which give you the best kind of sound, and can run from 7v.

Of course you cant just go into halfrauds and buy all this, it takes a bit of messing around, but a very good quality system can be made even on 6v cars.

I built one once and it worked pretty well. PM me for details if anybody is interested. The electronics is not that 'heavy' in it, its pretty doable even by somebody who is not so used to electronics.
Damn, that's a good idea!

On a related note, do they still make 8V batteries fro volksies? They used to be the drop in solution for tired 6V systems...
Old 08-02-2011, 12:59 PM   #16
Danielgomez
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Might be onto a winner picked up the bug and its kicking out around 13 volts at tick over.
So maybe able to go with a good headunit and some small speakers.
Thanks guys for all your help advice etc etc.
Daniel.
Old 08-02-2011, 01:13 PM   #17
Vee.Dubster
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danielgomez View Post
Might be onto a winner picked up the bug and its kicking out around 13 volts at tick over.
So maybe able to go with a good headunit and some small speakers.
Thanks guys for all your help advice etc etc.
Daniel.
So it has already been converted to 12 volts then

Got a '67 Bug? then join our group
http://www.volkszone.co.uk/VZi/group.php?groupid=62

So God was creating man. And his little assistant came up to him and he said: "Hey, we've got all these bodies left, but we're right out of brains, we're right out of hearts and we're right out of vocal chords." And God said: "Fook it! Sew 'em up anyway. Smack smiles on the faces and make them talk out of their arses." And lo, God created the Tory Party...
Old 08-02-2011, 01:27 PM   #18
Danielgomez
Wannabe Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Think it might just have been to what level im not too sure if someone has gone the full hog with it starter etc etc.
Will be dropping the engine out this weekend hopefully so should be able to answer those questions very soon.
Dan.