The Evolution of the Yellow 1302s Turbo. - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts. Forum sponsored by VW Heritage

VW Heritage
Reply Post New Thread

Old 18-12-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Malakadan
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Default The Evolution of the Yellow 1302s Turbo.

I’ve owned my car since 2004 when I bought it from a friend of mine. At the time it was pretty standard looking with a 1641cc motor, Engle 100 cam and twin Dell 34’s.

This is my 3rd bug, but this time I knew it would be a “keeper”. I knew the history of it from when my friend owned it but I also found that he bought it from another friend who had owned and restored this car back in the 80’s. Previous to him, it was owned by Moby 5153, Vzi’s very own tech guru! I was told that Moby used to race it and have found some footage on YouTube of him doing just that at the Detling Show & Go in 1980. (Car appears towards end of this film at around 6.10mins)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrQ1Jc0XYb0

I ran the car as I’d bought it for around 6 months but always had a desire to go down the turbo route after being introduced to Richard (Japeto on Vzi) and having a ride in his 1776cc turbo motor’d bug. I remember saying to him after I got out of his car, “give me first refusal if you ever decide to sell that engine”. True to his word, he phoned me later that year and a deal was done.
After reading Turbomania and selling my 1641cc motor I got to work fitting my newly acquired 1776cc turbo engine. I had a basic understanding which was enough to get me to this stage.

It worked pretty well but with the intercooler placed where it was it suffered from heat soak when sat in traffic etc. I decided it was time to rebuild it when the Schwitzer turbo oil seals failed and gave me a nice smokey exhaust. I’d also been struggling to find why the oil pressure light would intermittently light up after I’d given the engine some beans (I put it down to worn bearings) and had some small oil leaks to fix too. A friend helped me to rebuild the engine and I sent the turbo away to be rebuilt. I also needed to do something about the placement of my intercooler to stop it soaking so much heat when the car was stationary. After lots of researching on the internet I decided to use Matt Keane’s idea and make myself a charge cooler. I used my old intercooler as a base and had a local fabricator weld new inlets and outlets to it and a water-jacket. The finished result was this:

The engine was rebuilt to the below spec:

• Stock counterweighted 69mm crank
• Mexican AS41 Case
• 90.5mm Barrel’s and pistons (forged)
• CB 044 Magnum Heads
• Engle TCS10 Cam
• Twin Dell 40 DRLA’s (turbo prepped)
• 009 dizzy with pertronix ignition (restricted timing to 24*)
• Static CR 7.5:1
• Schwitzer S2a Turbo

Something I should mention before I show another pic of the whole car is that I also discovered “German Look”. So, while I was busy rebuilding the engine, I was also busy shaking the German Look stick at it too. After around 2 years of being off the road, with a newly built engine the car eventually made it back onto the road in May 2008 looking like this:

I’m embarrassed to say that it took me a year to get the car to a rolling road having spent the previous year driving around on a low boost setting wanting to make the most of it being back on the road and spending all my money on fuel and VW Shows.

The results were 190 BHP and 182 LB/FT of torque at 13.5 psi of boost. To say I was happy with this figure would be an understatement!

After adding a few more German Look goodies I decided to use the car for what I built it for…. TO HAVE FUN!

Trackday at Lydden:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_oSIQ...Gic9YgifA_5xNa

Volksfest 2010 vs Audi A3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hji20...Gic9YgifA_5xNa

Volksfest 2010 vs 1303 Cabrio:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jqhsl...Gic9YgifA_5xNa

My build thread: http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthr...=1#post8160802

Last edited by Malakadan; 20-12-2011 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Add extra photo
Malakadan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2011, 10:10 PM   #2
Malakadan
Wannabe Chat Slut

Volksfest 2010 was the last time I drove the car. I was becoming increasingly frustrated with the poor driveability of the engine. This was down to the compromised ignition set up of the restricted 009. It was great when the engine was at full chat but when cruising normally it would feel very flat and unresponsive. It was also still suffering with the intermittent problem of the oil light coming on after taking the engine to high revs and some of the body work on the car was in need of attention. I decided to bite the bullet and switch over to EFI.
Whilst buying and selling parts to fund my EFI plans I worked on the rust that had gradually built up in the roof gutters:

My friend Phil (Cox71slammed) also revealed that heíd rebuilt his and his brotherís gearboxes. Iíd been having trouble with my box jumping out of 4th gear so Phil kindly agreed to open it up and fix it for me. When he gave it back to me I rubbed it all down and gave it a nice coat of satin black paint to protect it from the elements and any further corrosion.

I also thought it would be a good time to paint the rear wings. Theyíre 6cm wider than standard so I could fit the rims under them (18Ē Porsche Tech Art rims). Iím not going to say where I bought them from as that isnít what this thread is about but I wouldnít recommend them to anyone else. I originally trial fitted them but never got around to taking them off and finishing them. I had to drill out the (pre-marked) bolt holes and the bumper slots were pre-marked for me to cut out also. They werenít the best fit and very thin. They actually creased and buckled in the middle when fitted to the car. Itís not apparent in the pictures but it was bad enough for people to ask me how I had managed to damage the wings. The wings needed a lot of prep work with filler and a sanding block to get the surface nice and even. I fibre-glassed an aluminium rod around the inner rim of each of the wings to stop them from flexing and buckling, trial fitted them and painted them.

Iím happy with the results and Iím looking forward to seeing how they look on the car when I come to put it back together.

Old 18-12-2011, 10:14 PM   #3
Malakadan
Wannabe Chat Slut

Next, I set to work on the engine. The plan was to rebuild it to the same spec and just replace the bearings, but the lifters were badly pitted so I have replaced these with Scat Lube-a-Lobes. I also managed to find a brand new Holset H1C turbo on eBay at a very good price. Many thanks to Phil (Cox71slammed) for helping with the build and allowing the use of his workshop!

Phil and I think we have found the cause of my oil pressure problem. Although the oil pump body had been plugged, the oil return in the case hadnít been plugged which meant oil was able to bypass the galleries and go behind the oil pump. Here is a pic of the plugged oil return:

Iím using an Emerald ECU to control everything http://www.emeraldm3d.com/

A Rover K-Series throttle body sits in roughly the same location as the original carb would have done on top of a custom aluminium manifold.

Old 18-12-2011, 10:19 PM   #4
Malakadan
Wannabe Chat Slut

Iím using CB injection end castings and fuel rails to get the fuel to a set of Rover 220 Turbo injectors and Iím using the original Rover 220 Turbo fuel pressure regulator as it is rising rate to match boost pressure and matched to the injectors. I opened out the end castings to give a little more flow (pic shows one finished and one untouched).

And then match ported them to my heads.

A common question from people when positioning sensors for their installs is where to place the coolant temp sensor. It is mainly needed for the cold start enrichment table (similar to a choke on a carb) so I have decided to place mine in the 3+4 cylinder head where it will get plenty of oil splash and heat soak. I hope it works there but if not I will put it into the Type 3 block off plate.

Iíve also got rid of that awful distributor setup and opted for a distributor-less ignition system. I had my bottom pulley machined by Taylor Machine Services and also bought their sensor bracket: http://www.taylormachine.co.uk/Taylo.../Products.html

Here is how the engine currently looks in the back of the car.

Iím still to get it wired in but I hope to get it to the point where I can fire it up on a base map and drive it to an MOT centre in early January 2012. Then I want to take it to Emerald in February 2012 to be mapped in time to drive me to the Volksworld Show in March. Iíll keep this thread updated as things happenÖ.

Old 19-12-2011, 01:30 AM   #5
Max Headroom
Torque is not cheap

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (5)

All makes great reading, not many driving experiences can beat a hot street VW imho. Keep up the great work
Old 19-12-2011, 02:29 AM   #6
spelllbound
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (21)

Excellent thread

Brad's Cancer Foundation...Helping out kids, can you?
spelllbound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 09:45 AM   #7
BrownBUG

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Excellent thread and info Balakaman, thanks for taking the trouble to show each step in detail.

In the back of my mind I'm hoping to do a similar set up........subscribed

http://www.royalcountyautosupply.co.uk

TWON's fund raising for Brad's - https://www.justgiving.com/MrVZi-2013

Royal County Auto Supply promise to donate at least £2 (or 5% of any profit) for every purchase during 2016 from VZi members.
BrownBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
nathanoneill
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

VERY VERY Nice!! Can't wait to see it again. Next year is going to be a good one. Its looking nuts
nathanoneill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Ross

Trading feedback: (0)

Sweet.
Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2011, 06:52 PM   #10
Kank

Trading feedback: (16)

Amazing
I wished I knew alot more about engines!
Kank is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread