I’ve owned my car since 2004 when I bought it from a friend of mine. At the time it was pretty standard looking with a 1641cc motor, Engle 100 cam and twin Dell 34’s.
This is my 3rd bug, but this time I knew it would be a “keeper”. I knew the history of it from when my friend owned it but I also found that he bought it from another friend who had owned and restored this car back in the 80’s. Previous to him, it was owned by Moby 5153, Vzi’s very own tech guru! I was told that Moby used to race it and have found some footage on YouTube of him doing just that at the Detling Show & Go in 1980. (Car appears towards end of this film at around 6.10mins)
I ran the car as I’d bought it for around 6 months but always had a desire to go down the turbo route after being introduced to Richard (Japeto on Vzi) and having a ride in his 1776cc turbo motor’d bug. I remember saying to him after I got out of his car, “give me first refusal if you ever decide to sell that engine”. True to his word, he phoned me later that year and a deal was done.
After reading Turbomania and selling my 1641cc motor I got to work fitting my newly acquired 1776cc turbo engine. I had a basic understanding which was enough to get me to this stage.
It worked pretty well but with the intercooler placed where it was it suffered from heat soak when sat in traffic etc. I decided it was time to rebuild it when the Schwitzer turbo oil seals failed and gave me a nice smokey exhaust. I’d also been struggling to find why the oil pressure light would intermittently light up after I’d given the engine some beans (I put it down to worn bearings) and had some small oil leaks to fix too. A friend helped me to rebuild the engine and I sent the turbo away to be rebuilt. I also needed to do something about the placement of my intercooler to stop it soaking so much heat when the car was stationary. After lots of researching on the internet I decided to use Matt Keane’s idea and make myself a charge cooler. I used my old intercooler as a base and had a local fabricator weld new inlets and outlets to it and a water-jacket. The finished result was this:
The engine was rebuilt to the below spec:
• Stock counterweighted 69mm crank
• Mexican AS41 Case
• 90.5mm Barrel’s and pistons (forged)
• CB 044 Magnum Heads
• Engle TCS10 Cam
• Twin Dell 40 DRLA’s (turbo prepped)
• 009 dizzy with pertronix ignition (restricted timing to 24*)
• Static CR 7.5:1
• Schwitzer S2a Turbo
Something I should mention before I show another pic of the whole car is that I also discovered “German Look”. So, while I was busy rebuilding the engine, I was also busy shaking the German Look stick at it too. After around 2 years of being off the road, with a newly built engine the car eventually made it back onto the road in May 2008 looking like this:
I’m embarrassed to say that it took me a year to get the car to a rolling road having spent the previous year driving around on a low boost setting wanting to make the most of it being back on the road and spending all my money on fuel and VW Shows.
The results were 190 BHP and 182 LB/FT of torque at 13.5 psi of boost. To say I was happy with this figure would be an understatement!
After adding a few more German Look goodies I decided to use the car for what I built it for…. TO HAVE FUN!
Trackday at Lydden:
Volksfest 2010 vs Audi A3:
Volksfest 2010 vs 1303 Cabrio: