General Immobilizer Chip: Why Not Work?! - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts. Forum available for sponsorship

Advertise on VZi

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 04-04-2012, 02:03 AM   #1
TorqueChap
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Immobilizer Chip: Why Not Work?!

Hi All,
Got a 1997 mkIII Golf Wagon that came out of Japan and is now driven in the Caribbean. (Car is right-hand drive.)

When I went to cut duplicate keys locally, I learned that the euro (your) version of this car has the immobilizer. Cool feature I want to keep. But I NEED more than one key as we have hurricanes and other threats where having a few extra keys is paramount.

I had extra keys cut but the chips in them don't work with the car. Thought, perhaps, they were the wrong chip. (Car starts for a second with them and then stalls.) Ordered the id33 chips from Germany but still no go. Held them near the copied keys -- still with the non-working chips that came with them still inside -- and the car wouldn't work

1. If I hold the wrong chip AND the right chip near the ignition when I put the key into it, will the car still start? (Trying to rule out false positives, etc.)

2. Is the id33 chip the right chip for a 1997 Euro Golf mkIII?

3. Does the chip need to be programmed in any way? (I do have the chip that came with the car's only key and it does work fine with the immob system.)

Really appreciate the help! VW USA can't comment on the issue because it's a euro car. The North American VW forums can't help because they never got mkIII cars with the immobilizer. My contact in Japan that sold me the car would love to help but we've got a language issue blocking progress despite the best of intentions. Hoping that my fellow enthusiasts across the Pond can help me understand what's wrong and how a solution can be best achieved.

Hurricane season is nearly here and I need to have additional chips that work with the car's immob system.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide

PS - I'm with the car for the next 2 weeks and can easily pull numbers, take pics, etc. to help cast insight on this mystery...
TorqueChap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #2
bigbadbugga
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (6)

You usually program the new keys by putting the master key in the ignition and switching on, then remove it and insert new key within 30 seconds.

That may not be the exact procedure, but it's something similar I think.
bigbadbugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:26 AM   #3
wallabean
Chat Slapper

the immobiliser chip needs programming by a dealer or authorised repairer with a geko computer ... or a key cutting shop may be able to clone the chip in the new key from the original key
wallabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:04 AM   #4
TorqueChap
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallabean View Post
the immobiliser chip needs programming by a dealer or authorised repairer with a geko computer ... or a key cutting shop may be able to clone the chip in the new key from the original key
Hi Wallabean! Is the geko the only type of computer that can do the programming? Or are there other machines that can do it as well?

Problem being in the Caribbean is that there's no VW dealer on the island. And the US dealers won't touch the keys since the car was originally sold abroad.

Thanks for the assist!
Old 05-04-2012, 08:10 AM   #5
fr05ty
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (2)

given your situation, cant you split the plastic part of the key and carefully swap chips? they look like a small glass tube with copper coil inside
Old 05-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #6
wallabean
Chat Slapper

hello
the geko is a vw "special tool" as far as i know nothing else will do the job , is there a key cutting shop that can scan and clone your key on the island?

Last edited by wallabean; 05-04-2012 at 01:23 PM. Reason: spelling
wallabean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #7
TorqueChap
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by fr05ty View Post
given your situation, cant you split the plastic part of the key and carefully swap chips? they look like a small glass tube with copper coil inside
Hi Fr05ty, seems that the chip needs to be programmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallabean View Post
hello
the geko is a vw "special tool" as far as i know nothing else will do the job , is there a key cutting shop that can scan and clone your key on the island?
Hey Wallabean, thanks for the heads up. Will see if any of the local locksmiths have a geko handy. Much obliged.
Old 05-04-2012, 10:19 PM   #8
yamyam
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (1)

get yourself a copy of vag tacho, off ebay, with a cable. you can program the new chip yourself..
yamyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 10:51 PM   #9
billybug
I'm not an addict... honest!

Alternatively remove the chip from the key and tape it up under the dash near the ignition barrel, ok it renders the immobiliser useless as a security device as it will always work but it means any of your keys will work
1963 1200 Bug - Now Sold
1992 LandRover Defender 110 200 TDI.
billybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread