Engine Would you consider buying it - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts. Forum available for sponsorship

Advertise on VZi

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #1
Groovybugga
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Would you consider buying it

I have just viewed a t25 with a 1.9 flat four water cooled engine, the bus is nice and has been well looked after but after reading about this type of engine i am getting a bit worried. No one seems to have much good to say about them. The owner has said knew what he he was talking about and reassured me that the coolant has been changed every year. Would you consider buying one with this type of engine. 135000 on the clock which i believe is genuine. Give me you thoughts good or bad. Cheers guys and gals
Groovybugga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 10:45 AM   #2
midge
Chat Virgin

Default No Problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groovybugga View Post
I have just viewed a t25 with a 1.9 flat four water cooled engine, the bus is nice and has been well looked after but after reading about this type of engine i am getting a bit worried. No one seems to have much good to say about them. The owner has said knew what he he was talking about and reassured me that the coolant has been changed every year. Would you consider buying one with this type of engine. 135000 on the clock which i believe is genuine. Give me you thoughts good or bad. Cheers guys and gals
Like all machinery its more how its been looked after and used, there are lots of thrashed builders trucks and campers out there with shot engines trouble with campers is they tend to get little use. Then are expected to behave once in a while loaded right up.
midge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-04-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
Groovybugga
Chat Virgin

good call, and the one i viewed has not had much use at all but it has been maintained. I would have no worries about the rest of the van and i dont mind seeing to things that need attention but if the studs have corroded on the case then a new engine is the only way to go. If it had been a deiesel i would not have worried in the slightest
Old 13-04-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
luckystrike
Seasoned Chat Slut

Check for signs of overheating in the past - they're hard systems to bleed and the coolant pipes are close to the exhaust manifold on the rhs looking in from the back - if the pipe comes out of its routing in the sheet metal it melts and pisses itself.
Old 13-04-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
Groovybugga
Chat Virgin

Thanks for the replies, what would be the best replacement engine if i decided to buy. What would drop straight in without too much hassle if the engine was to give up the ghost. I dont want anything fancy just something that would get me from A to B
Old 14-04-2012, 08:34 AM   #6
fr05ty
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (2)

i had two engines in mine, both low mile and both went bang. scooby may be good way to go
Old 14-04-2012, 09:13 AM   #7
GlenAnderson
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (17)

I'd fit a 130 PD tdi diesel if the waterboxer went bang - but then I am a diesel pervert...

Seriously though, you've got the widest choice of possibilities with a water-cooled T25 as you've already got the plumbing in place.

Stick with the waterboxer if originality is a concern, go Scooby if you want loads of power for little outlay and Tdi if you're after minimal running costs.

Glen.
Old 14-04-2012, 10:21 PM   #8
Crasher
Wannabe Chat Slut

I have a lust in me to fit an Audi 2.5 V6 TDI and I hate diesels! What is wrong with me?
Crasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread