Volkszone Forum banner

1.8 or 2litre transplant

Engine 
913 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  gnarlysurfer 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of swapping the twin port 1.6 stock engine (in my 1972 bay) for something slightly bigger. Can anyone explain what else I'd need to change (e.g. gearbox etc) if I went for one of the 1.8 or 2 litre Vege motors which JK sell? My van was built December 1972 and is all stock at present. Would be interested to hear from someone else who has fitted one of these from JK. Thanks.

#2 ·
Obviously a complete engine with tinware, if you just buy a long block you will need ALOT of parts. Better to buy a complete engine, with all ancillaries and then contemplate a rebuild on the block to keep the costs down. Ive lost faith in recon's myself, I'd rather make the decisions as to what is inside...

Gearbox wise, if your 1600 is good, find the code on it, and check with vw heritage what it is. If you have the 091 bellhousing, then you just need to change the input shaft, and probally the starter.

Im in the middle of a Type 4 engine rebuild myself, which is fitted to a 1600 box (later 091 box has been fitted), in a 73. Of course the ratios are wrong, but actually I find the work well for the hills!

My biggest problem is the input shaft, as the T4 engine needs a longer one. Im told any T4 including a T25 watercooled shaft will fit, which I know have, so I'll let you know if it works.

I think I read something about having to drill the front shift rod 10mm further back or something like that as well

#3 ·
Obviously a complete engine with tinware, if you just buy a long block you will need ALOT of parts. Better to buy a complete engine, with all ancillaries and then contemplate a rebuild on the block to keep the costs down. Ive lost faith in recon's myself, I'd rather make the decisions as to what is inside...

Gearbox wise, if your 1600 is good, find the code on it, and check with vw heritage what it is. If you have the 091 bellhousing, then you just need to change the input shaft, and probally the starter.

Im in the middle of a Type 4 engine rebuild myself, which is fitted to a 1600 box (later 091 box has been fitted), in a 73. Of course the ratios are wrong, but actually I find the work well for the hills!

My biggest problem is the input shaft, as the T4 engine needs a longer one. Im told any T4 including a T25 watercooled shaft will fit, which I know have, so I'll let you know if it works.

I think I read something about having to drill the front shift rod 10mm further back or something like that as well
Thanks for your advice. I will check on the bell housing and bear in mind what you say about the input shaft and starter. I guess this is why JK list the 1.8 & 2 liter Vege engines as suitable for 1975 bay window onwards. Hope your T4 transplant goes well and thanks for your help.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.