About time i showed you my '70 1300. - Page 154 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Readers Rides

Readers Rides Post pics, specs and build-up stories of your vehicles - or even your garages here. Also interesting stuff about your 'daily drivers' etc. or even motors-based TV shows you can recommend. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts. Forum sponsored by VW Heritage

VW Heritage
Reply Post New Thread

Old 23-06-2017, 09:39 PM   #1531
chris161190
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (16)

Even small progress is progress! But hey do it right once and you'll know it's right
chris161190 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-06-2017, 11:15 AM   #1532
Zebedee
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (5)

Its nice bolting stuff back on after it being a bare shell for so long.
A lot of my time has been spent cleaning up parts that were fine when taken off and stored but are now rusty though.

Theres a few bits of paintwork that now need touching up as i've managed to scratch it.
I found my old airbrush under the bed and a full can of propellant too but not sure if it'll survive shooting celly though it. It works fine with acrylic and enamels but i think the celly thinners might disolve it.
Zebedee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 09:14 AM   #1533
mmain
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (1)

Keep on going, it keeps the rest of us motivated.
Not sure if you fitted the window lifters. I used old innertube in mine. For the steering arm bolt i bought a used one from mega bug
mmain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 25-06-2017, 10:58 AM   #1534
Zebedee

Funnily enough i just cut up an old inner tube to use as the seal for the lifter.

I replaced the idler pin on my bay a few years back and reused the old bolt as i misplaced the new one in the kit. Turns out its the same size as the one thats used on the steering arm on the bugs box. I had bought a new 12.9 bolt for it but its got a thread pitch of 1.5 not the standard 1.75 a M12 has so it didn't fit.

Gonna hopefully get the last couple of bits welded on the framehead this afternoon, rust cure it and give it a coat of grey oxide inside and out once all the crap has been hoovered out of the spine.
Will run a new fuel line through the tunnel while the majority of the bottom is off and i can get to the clamps inside the tunnel.

I managed to bend the edge of the pan moving it yesterday so i'll have to replace some of the lip. It was pretty crispy anyway though.
Gonna make the section of pan where the pedals sit using an old floorpan i cut off a dead bug years ago.

Still haven't managed to track down the 1/4 light for the drivers door. I know i have it but its proving rather difficult to lay my hands on.
Old 25-06-2017, 05:47 PM   #1535
Zebedee

Got the last couple of bits welded in this afternoon, the welds ground down and a coat of vactan applied.

I was planning on painting a coat of grey oxide on but my resident garage fairy has hidden the bloody tin. I've looked everywhere and its not to be found.

I did find my drivers side 1/4 light though its seals are a little crispy and split in places.

The two i have sat in my parents loft are in better condition i think but they're 2 1/2 hours away.
Old 26-06-2017, 06:34 PM   #1536
Zebedee

Finally found the grey oxide tin i've been searching for, hidden in the spare wheel well of my bug. Pretty sure i didn't put it in there.

Gonna seam seal the welds next.

Dug out the box of parts to see whats missing and found a load of wiring coiled up in the bottom. Think its for the rear lights but not 100%.
Also noticed the handbrake handle i cleaned up, sanded and painted is missing the little pip that the equaliser bar slots over so i looks like i'll have to start again with the other handle i have which still has it. Unless i could somehow drill and tap it and screw a small stud in place.

Had a look at the master cylinder and its seized solid with rust. All the ports are pitted to hell and the threads are toast.
Reply Post New Thread