Vw T25 1.9dg upgrades or 2.1dj engine please - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > Alternate Engine

Alternate Engine Got a Scooby motor in the back of your dub? Or a V8? Alfa? You know a Porsche motor drops straight in - right? This is the forum for you. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 18-01-2017, 11:07 PM   #1
Joe Wright
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Vw T25 1.9dg upgrades or 2.1dj engine please

Hello all. I'm looking to upgrade my 1.9dg in my vw t25. I'm looking to put twin 40s on it, cam, exhaust etc. If anyone has these items for sale then please let me know. Or if you have a complete tuned 1.9dg or a complete 2.1dj tuned for sale please let me know. It's my daily so need a bit more oomph and fun.
All the best. Many thanks Joe.
Joe Wright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 09:54 AM   #2
iain ambrose
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (2)

A set of Dellorto 40's does make a huge difference on the 1.9 over the stock setup.
You will also need a set of csp wbx manifolds and suitably long linkage bar.
Using a set of 1.25 rockers will also help along with a custom exhaust, but swapping in a 2.1DJ engine will make for a better drive overall.

Again, 40's work really well on the 2.1DJ engine and are not far off the power of the stock FI system.
Make sure you get the DJ engine with oem pistons as you will get the full high compression 112hp engine, the MV or a rebuilt DJ with replacement pistons will be well down on hp.

Once you start down the road of aftermarket camshafts it becomes a bit like Alice down the rabbit hole.
A transplant engine is more cost effective than tuning a wbx engine beyond bolt on improvements but read my thread to see what is involved.
iain ambrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2017, 01:17 PM   #3
Joe Wright
Chat Slapper

Hello. Thankyou ever so much. Really helpful. The trouble is finding a 2.1dj for sale. I shall have to keep looking and be quick. Thanks again. I will let you know how I get on

Old 19-01-2017, 02:26 PM   #4
iain ambrose

They are tricky to find being more desirable, but you can find ones that are in need of a rebuild.
Send a pm to spannerboy on this forum as he converts t25's to subaru and usually has engines available.
Best of luck
Old 19-01-2017, 09:02 PM   #5
Joe Wright
Chat Slapper

Great stuff thankyou. If not ill head down the twin 40s,csp manifold, cam, lifters and exhaust route on my current engine. Might wake it up a bit hopefully.
Thanks again.
Joe
Old 23-01-2017, 09:04 PM   #6
iain ambrose

This facebook group might help locate an engine.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1978...c_location=ufi
Old 14-04-2017, 09:25 PM   #7
Big Al
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

I have some 40's and 45's for sale atm.

I used to run a 1.9dj till it popped a head stud and was replaced with a lower hp 1.9dg. It was a little slower......but only really noticeable on 4th gear steep motorway hills, the one one the a30 (or was it 39) Cornwall was a real killer. But day to day round town there was hardly anything between them.
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread