Mk3 Golf GTi window issues - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Engineering Tech

Engineering Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Engineering Issues that don't necessarily fall into Aircooled or Watercooled Tech. Got a problem? Or an engineering question? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 19-10-2016, 09:05 AM   #1
vwcorrado16v
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Post Mk3 Golf GTi window issues

Hi guys,

Issues with my newly acquired mk3 golf. When I press and hold the window switch down or up, the window will go down or up in small increments. Then I need to let off the switch and press again for it to go down another increment.

Surely if I hold the switch it should go all the way down or up, un-interrupted?

Has anyone had this issues before? Could it possibly be the runners that need lubing?

Cheers
vwcorrado16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-03-2017, 07:52 PM   #2
ttcharlie
Seasoned Chat Slut

From what I remember Golfs and passats of this era had big problems with the windows and central locking issues.

Could it be related ? My Mk3 Gti which was quite new at the time was often found with all the windows wound down in the morning. I left nothing of value in it ever.
Old 21-03-2017, 08:28 PM   #3
cox71slammed
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcorrado16v View Post
Hi guys,

Issues with my newly acquired mk3 golf. When I press and hold the window switch down or up, the window will go down or up in small increments. Then I need to let off the switch and press again for it to go down another increment.

Surely if I hold the switch it should go all the way down or up, un-interrupted?

Has anyone had this issues before? Could it possibly be the runners that need lubing?

Cheers
Your window motors will need to be normalised. To do this drop the windows all the way down with the switch on light touch, release the switch, close the window all the way using light touch of the switch. When the window is fully up press & fold the switch down on the firm touch (press harder) for a few seconds. This should normalise the windows. NOTE: you should feel the switches have 2 positions - light touch for opening or closing the windows the amount you require & hard touch for automatically opening & closing of the windows fully (one touch operation)

Phil
cox71slammed is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 24-03-2017, 11:49 AM   #4
vwcorrado16v
Chat Virgin

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox71slammed View Post
Your window motors will need to be normalised. To do this drop the windows all the way down with the switch on light touch, release the switch, close the window all the way using light touch of the switch. When the window is fully up press & fold the switch down on the firm touch (press harder) for a few seconds. This should normalise the windows. NOTE: you should feel the switches have 2 positions - light touch for opening or closing the windows the amount you require & hard touch for automatically opening & closing of the windows fully (one touch operation)

Phil
Thank you both for your replies.
And thanks for this info Phil! I am going to try this over the weekend. Just out of curiosity what causes the motors to do this? Cheers
vwcorrado16v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2017, 08:24 PM   #5
cox71slammed
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vwcorrado16v View Post
Thank you both for your replies.
And thanks for this info Phil! I am going to try this over the weekend. Just out of curiosity what causes the motors to do this? Cheers
Low battery voltage/disconnection of the battery or window motors

Phil

Last edited by cox71slammed; 24-03-2017 at 08:27 PM.
cox71slammed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 08:23 PM   #6
rowlesy
Wannabe Chat Slut

then stick your key in the drivers door and hold to lock and watch your windows go up then hold open and watch your windows go down.
rowlesy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2017, 11:00 PM   #7
noms2000
Wannabe Chat Slut

If any of your windows stop before going all the way up, there may be an obstruction on the runner. Just run your fingers around the window rubber, and if there's nothing, spray some WD40 to loosen things up. Always worked for my Mk3. They are famous for having electrical gremlins though, so be warned..

Keepin' It Aircooled...

Noms
noms2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread