Oh Snap! General election poll and discussion - Page 16 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

View Poll Results: Who would you like to see win on June 8?
Conservatives 43 37.39%
Labour 35 30.43%
Lib Dems 23 20.00%
SNP/Plaid Cymru/Other home country type party 6 5.22%
Greens 6 5.22%
Other (MRL, standing at the back dressed stupidly and looking stupid party, or whoever) 2 1.74%
Voters: 115. You may not vote on this poll

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 21-04-2017, 02:12 PM   #151
Horrido
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr slug View Post
Not by accident either - I think the irony, is that the preconceived idea that any Tory, or any Tory voter is a spoiled rich kid, and the method of attacking them is to behave like a spoiled rich kid

I am surprised by just how may 'spoiled rich kids ' are making their feelings known in the poll up there /\
You do know that a ridiculous number of the cabinet went to Eton and a variety of other private schools and many/most of them are millionaires? That's just a plain old fact, not a "preconcieved idea".

You should read up on Eton some time. It's interesting, the psychological effect that it has on seven year old kids who are sent away by their parents. It creates some deeply damaged people.

Dressed like a priest you was
Tod brownings freak you was
Horrido is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 02:23 PM   #152
Passion 4

Trading feedback: (37)

Location: Hastings Old Town, East Sussex – just near the sea!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrido View Post
You do know that a ridiculous number of the cabinet went to Eton and a variety of other private schools and many/most of them are millionaires? That's just a plain old fact, not a "preconcieved idea".

You should read up on Eton some time. It's interesting, the psychological effect that it has on seven year old kids who are sent away by their parents. It creates some deeply damaged people.
Almost a third (32%) of MPs in the new House of Commons went to private school, according to an analysis by an education charity.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-32692789
Passion 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 02:55 PM   #153
Raemond
I really must get out more

Quote:
Originally Posted by Passion 4 View Post
Almost a third (32%) of MPs in the new House of Commons went to private school, according to an analysis by an education charity.

That's surprisingly low.
Raemond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 03:03 PM   #154
Passion 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raemond View Post
That's surprisingly low.
Yeah, I guess it's all to easy to slip into stereotypes about politicians and their educational background. Probably more important to assess what they do now, rather than where they went to school in the past?
Old 21-04-2017, 03:09 PM   #155
Triplefive F
Chat Slapper

Whilst we are talking numbers/percentages , good summary article on the parties in today's (i newspaper) :-
Party memberships -
Labour 520,000
Tories 150,000
SNP 120,000
LD 95,000
Women's Equality 65,000
Green 45,000
UKIP 36,000
Plaid Cymru 8,200
Total - 1,039,200
Quite small numbers really, considering the total UK population ( tens of millions ) , must admit surprised
me that so few are in some way 'politically active' - and running the country!!!!!
Triplefive F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 03:23 PM   #156
Raemond
I really must get out more

Quote:
Yeah, I guess it's all to easy to slip into stereotypes about politicians and their educational background. Probably more important to assess what they do now, rather than where they went to school in the past?
This is no place for that sort of revolutionary talk.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplefive F View Post
Whilst we are talking numbers/percentages , good summary article on the parties in today's (i newspaper) :-
Party memberships -
Labour 520,000
Tories 150,000
SNP 120,000
LD 95,000
Women's Equality 65,000
Green 45,000
UKIP 36,000
Plaid Cymru 8,200
Total - 1,039,200
Quite small numbers really, considering the total UK population ( tens of millions ) , must admit surprised
me that so few are in some way 'politically active' - and running the country!!!!!
Wow, the Women's Equality party have exploded out of the blocks - they were only formed about two years ago. Reassuring that they're nearly double the size of UKIP.
Raemond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2017, 03:39 PM   #157
Horrido

Quote:

And 48% of Tory MPs, against a 7% national average. Hmmm....

Old 21-04-2017, 03:41 PM   #158
Muttley
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triplefive F View Post
Quite small numbers really, considering the total UK population ( tens of millions )
It does seem small numbers, the Labour membership number is supposed to be on the drop as well now where people joined just to have their party leadership votes over the last couple of years and are now starting to let their memberships lapse.
Old 21-04-2017, 04:58 PM   #159
Passion 4

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horrido View Post
And 48% of Tory MPs, 17% Labour MPs, 14% Liberal Democrats and Scottish National Party at just 5% against a 7% national average.
FTFY

Hardly surprising that there are privately educated people in the corridors of power of the UK though is it? I suspect they weren't best suited to the more manual labouring roles offered at the career centre!

How reflective of the country are the political classes at the best of times? Even John McDonnell has defined those earning above £70,000 to £80,000 a year as being rich, so basically all MP's are rich seeing as how their basic annual salary is £74,000 before expenses!

So "overturn the rigged system" by putting power and wealth back in the hands of "the people" - yeah really!
Old 21-04-2017, 05:06 PM   #160
Horrido

Quote:
FTFY
Yes, and rather neatly illustrated my point. Well over twice as many Tories as Labour.

Last edited by Horrido; 21-04-2017 at 05:11 PM.
Reply Post New Thread