Volkszone Forum banner

Ball joint dust covers split again!

Suspension 
2K views 29 replies 12 participants last post by  Rosbiff 
#1 ·
Hi just had my 72 beetle back after an epic fail on the mot.

One of the fails was split ball joint dust covers

they are less than a year old!
and it happened the same time last mot

the front is lowered a bit on a normal width adjustable beam

is this the reason for the splitting and how do i get around this problem (without raising the front of course)

any help would be amazing

cheers

#2 ·
Hi just had my 72 beetle back after an epic fail on the mot.

One of the fails was split ball joint dust covers

they are less than a year old!
and it happened the same time last mot

the front is lowered a bit on a normal width adjustable beam

is this the reason for the splitting and how do i get around this problem (without raising the front of course)

any help would be amazing

cheers
I have the same issues but as I know the guy who MOT's my car.
The best thing to do is raise the suspension,change the rubbers,get the MOT.
Then drop it down again.
I would look at getting some dropped spindles that way your not having to lower the suspension so it damages the boots.

#5 ·
cool

thanks for the reply

no not heard of mecatech. good ones ?

can you just replace the dust covers or do i need to get the joints pressed out and in again?
I'm selling Mecatech rubber gaitors as 2xpairs (4 total = 1xset) they are universal and fit BJ and/or steering joints, trim to fit. I do them for £15 per set posted. You'll need 2x sets for both suspension and steering joints.

#8 ·
This is the most rediculous and annoying change in the mot rules as most boots are shit and will split every year. I smoother the feckers in sticker flex. I asked my mot tester about this and he said as long as the surface is sealed then they will pass. Its unessercary expense changing the boots if you can't do it yourself your gonna be paying for it every year.

#13 ·
Interesting and very good idea

i will do that next year. its very annoying they keep splitting

Do those others just fit over the top of the ball joints i already have?
I've PMd you details 72. The covers are universal size, trim to fit the smaller steering rods end or the larger BJs and are secured with a cable tie supplied or just squashed down in place. They're super durable, used extensively throughout the trade and usually only available through the trade. I've bought a box and split them to retail which works well for everyone :)

#15 ·
I had a beetle years ago that kept splitting the rubbers.My guess was it was the constant twisting left and right that was causing them to split.My cure was to leave the small retaining clip off so the joint was turning in the rubber not twisting the rubber itself.Didn't seem to split after that.
The hub pushing down on the rubber seems to hold it tight enough to seal and not let dirt in.

#22 ·
my 72 Bay window has failed it's MOT on ball joint gaiters split. The bottom ones are easy enough, but on the top ones the camber adjusting nut is in the way and I can get it off.

Should these come off with a bang with a hammer, do I need something to pry them off, or are they threaded ? All the piccies I can find indicate they're not threaded but don't want to lump them if I'm going to do some damage. The last thing I want to have to do is replace the ball joints as well.

If anyone could help out it would be much appreciated.

Martyn

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.