Volkszone Forum banner

Drunkenbum's how i fitted a Propex heater (with pics )

60K views 60 replies 22 participants last post by  M.I.B 
#1 ·
Mods move this to tec when its finished please ?

Right then where do i start ?

propex heat sorce >>>>> a gas powered blown air heater..

I purchased a Propex heatsorce 2000 for £350 from ebay recently for the simple fact that i have to pick my kids up in my 69 bay kombi and its my daily so heat is a big issue ... I am sure if you r reading this you know what i mean..

Right then down to business ... When you buy one of these heaters it comes with everything you need to fit it into your van so dont worry as long as you order a vehical kit you will get the basics of what you need out of the box with full fitting instructions ..

And this is whet one looks like

the top

The tools r in shot for scale

Underneath

The 2 pipes r the exaust and inlet

This is a list of tools i usedin my instal

Philips Screew driver
Flat head screwdriver
Grinder
drill
30 mm hole saw
75mm hole saw
center punch
marker pen
3mm drill bit
tape mesure
13 mm spaner
zink primer

The above is what is in most peoples shed/garage so if yer dont have these Blag em of some one else :D

See less See more
#2 ·
The fitting position

My van is a 8 seater Kombi and it aint about to change so i had to look for a suitable position to fit the heater ......I wanted to try to link the heater into the bays OE heating system so the position was crucial

The Preferd positions

first choice under the rear bench

As i said this was my prefered choice BUT the mor i tryed the mor dificult it became .. it will not fitt and thats that !!!!!!! not without alot of pipe work to the OE heating system so it was not ideal

You would have to remove the OE heating ducts shown adove then run a pipe down the old center tube witch incidently is bellow the gear shift tube so you would have to mess about right to fit it hear and then have heat traveling 5 foot without even starting to heat the van

So inconclusion

"not Ideal"

#3 ·
My second choice

My van is a none walk through so i thought under the front bench where the spare wheel sits

Again looked and looked and looked again

But again A no go The exaust and inlet of the propex would come out directly over the shift rod under the van and you could not link the outlet pipe into the main OE heat tube

So that idea was out the window :rolleyes:

#5 ·
So it's down to business

The heater comes with a nice full size drawing of where the holes need to be :D

So just lay it where you need and punce the center of the holes with a .........Well with a punch :D

Then drill yer holes

The big hole is where the heat outlet pipe is going to link up with the OE heat pipes i had to bend the hand brake and rest of cable tubes a bit so the 3" heat tube goes through

When yer drilled all yer holes dont forget to zink em or you will be sorry in a few months

the finished drilling

#7 ·
And this is the heater fitted

It took about 1/2 an hour to get to here and About 2 hours to find the purfect position....

I f you think it was the Wrong place ...Staytuned for the sunday edition and you will see :D

No more till sunday ...As you where

Any questions up to now please ask ;)

#11 ·
Right the sunday update .......

Like i have said i wanted to try to link the heater into the OE heating system so the first job was to cut the main tube at the front crossmember

I didnt have to cut it as much as give it a good tug as it was a bit crusty :rolleyes:

Then i cleaned it all up with the grider Zink primer it and fitted the pipe that comes with the propex

#13 ·
Next is the wiring

You get to lumes all made up with a plug on one end to go to the heater the other end to the stat and battry conection

this is what you get in the kit

Then undo the cover for the wires

And find a suitable position for the stat and controles

this is where i dicided on

easy peesy

#16 ·
It works A1 spot on nice and warm and i get heat on the screen or my feet using the OE heat controles :D :D

And it was the best position if i would have fitted under the back seat the blown heat at the front would have been a bit weezey to say the least

And yer know what ?

I can still use the vans heat exchangers to blow heat from the ducts under the rear seat :D :D

Best of both dudes :D

Next edition will be the results of a freezing sheffield morning

Stay tuned :bandit:

#21 ·
Correct ;)

The flue pipes that come with the kit r 0.75 mtrs long

This morning on my way to work was nice and warm But................

Linked into the bays heating system obviusly zaps some power but still exeptable .The heat on the screen is good and it was to hot blowing on my feet :D ..Fitting this propex has saved me fitting a heated front screen :D

And like i said earler i can still utilise the rear OE heating system ,When i get it sorted

#22 ·
I bought my van in June...so have just recently attempted to use the propex. mine doesn't work!! :( I switch the gas on...flick the control swith to the heat setting...the thing starts to make a blowing noise, then after about 30 seconds, it switches itself off! don't have a clue what to do... it's bloody freezing!!!! :D

#23 ·
Hendrix Freak said:
I bought my van in June...so have just recently attempted to use the propex. mine doesn't work!! :( I switch the gas on...flick the control swith to the heat setting...the thing starts to make a blowing noise, then after about 30 seconds, it switches itself off! don't have a clue what to do... it's bloody freezing!!!! :D
They have a built in diagnostic sytem find out how many times the led on the stat flashes and i will tell you what it is
;)

Or pm me if you have a fax no and i will fax you a copy of the instructions if yer like

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.