Interior Mk2 golf dash doesn't fit - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Watercooled Mechanical Tech

Watercooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Watercooled Mechanical Issues. Golfs, Sciroccos, Polos, T4s, T5s etc. You know the score, got a problem? Ask here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 12-06-2017, 10:23 PM   #1
syncroboy
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

Post Mk2 golf dash doesn't fit

Evenin all, I'm this will have a very simple and rapid answer, are there different types of mk2 dash panels?

I have an 89 Syncro and am trying to fit a dash from a GTI, all the bolts and securing bit line up proper but there is a big gap from the heater controls and the panel, it looks like they should fit together due to locating lugs but the gap is mpore than an inch (over 25mm to you youngster)!

Click image for larger version

Name:	dash1.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	248.1 KB
ID:	196210

Click image for larger version

Name:	dash2.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	254.5 KB
ID:	196218

Any helpful thoughts please...
syncroboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 01:29 AM   #2
eddypeck
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (2)

The heater controls should just be 'floating' they're not attached to anything at this point. If the dash is fitted properly but there's no movement on the controls you may have snagged one of the control cables or something. You should be able to pull the controls forward into position and line up on the holes. There's no difference on the main dash across all models and years. There are minute differences on some of the accessories bits between early vs late but everything is interchangeable and uses the same fixings. E.g. The speaker grill on a later car have more rounded air vents than an early car and the fuse box cover and lower dash part is everso slightly different
eddypeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-06-2017, 10:36 PM   #3
syncroboy
Chat Virgin

Thanks fir your input eddypeck, I have had a good rummage in there and the heater is fitted to the bulkhead. It hard to describe but it's slot together affair, if I slide the controls up it comes away so fitting is the reverse - put the controls back against the bulkheadjust above the slot and push down.

But then it's a long way from the dash as in the pics and it definitely fitted with the old dash -may just unclip it and use the dash screws as you said!

Old 14-06-2017, 05:26 AM   #4
VW PENGUIN
Seasoned Chat Slut

I had the dash in and out of my last mk2 more times than I can count and if memory serves correctly then eddypeck is spot on, the controls at that point shouldnt be clipped into anything and you should be able to pull them towards the locating holes ready for the dash screws.
Old 14-06-2017, 05:27 AM   #5
VW PENGUIN
Seasoned Chat Slut

ALSO!

Whilst your dash is apart, i would highly reccomend changing your heater matrix (if you havnt already done so)

Mine blew up doing 80+ on the motorway and just about managed not to slam into the central reservation, closest ive come to dying haha.
Old 14-06-2017, 07:49 AM   #6
Bunker
Wannabe Chat Slut

Yes all correct info, I've just had my lower dash apart to do the matrix on mine.

Controls should be flopping about all over the place.
Bunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2017, 09:18 AM   #7
eddypeck
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by syncroboy View Post
Thanks fir your input eddypeck, I have had a good rummage in there and the heater is fitted to the bulkhead. It hard to describe but it's slot together affair, if I slide the controls up it comes away so fitting is the reverse - put the controls back against the bulkheadjust above the slot and push down.

But then it's a long way from the dash as in the pics and it definitely fitted with the old dash -may just unclip it and use the dash screws as you said!
Just wondering how you're getting on with this? have you released the controls from whatever clips you put it into?

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Carole-Jay

For Mind, the mental health charity. We believe no one should have to face a mental health problem alone.
Old 19-06-2017, 11:04 PM   #8
syncroboy
Chat Virgin

Evenin chaps and thank you all for your interest - and you're all wrong!

Get outta here, no way, I can here you all shouting from my comfy sofa...

So it turns out there is a difference between this dash and my old one, I spent most of the hottest weekend in years sweatin inside the car mucking about with these dash, I just had to know.

Took out the replacement and put me old split dash back and it fits, the heater control is hooked on the bulkhad and the dash lines up with the screw holes at the front - take it out, put the replacement in and no, it does not touch!

So enough of this shenanigans, I've unhooked the conrols and screwed them to the dash panel, they seem tight and non-wobbly so that's it, job done.

I have also changed the matrix, cheers for the prompting.

Thank again y'all
Old 20-06-2017, 05:00 PM   #9
eddypeck
Chat Slapper

Interesting! I guess the difference is because it's a synchro. I was aware the centre console was different/shallower to accommodate the raised tunnel. I wasn't previously aware of the dash being different in any way.

Thanks for sharing, I'll store that info to my memory banks for future reference :-)

https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Carole-Jay

For Mind, the mental health charity. We believe no one should have to face a mental health problem alone.
Old 20-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #10
VW PENGUIN
Seasoned Chat Slut

Never be fucked! I had no idea they were different but thats a good bit of knowledge to keep stored away somewhere haha.