Volkszone Forum banner

THE JOGLE4BRAD'S INFO THREAD

215K views 2K replies 125 participants last post by  Brian Burrows 
#1 ·
(FAIRLY) IMPORTANT! PLEASE READ IT ALL BEFORE ASKING QUESTIONS

As the other thread is so huge, it makes sense to have a thread that has all the important information without the 'chat'.

Please use THIS thread to add names to lists etc. and then I will tidy them up afterwards and delete posts etc. (so, no whining if/when your post gets deleted. ;))

(I'm away 'Karting 4 Brad's for a few days - but I'll tidy up on my return - Tuesday)

So . . . IMPORTANT stuff . . .

Firstly - the DATES . . . everyone will need to be at the John O' Groats Campsite for 8.00am on SATURDAY 7th APRIL

We have the site booked for the night of FRIDAY 6th APRIL for camping, so getting there the day before makes sense.

The whole deal will take a full week and we aim to be at Land's End on FRIDAY 13th APRIL - after that we are trying to arrange a VW Event in Cornwall for 13th - 15th April (which will be FREE for all JOGLE'RS to attend.)

Secondly - MONEY. Each rider will need enough money for camping, food and petrol/2-stroke.

We estimate camping costs to be in the region of ÂŁ60 per person for the whole trip (I'll have a firm figure shortly) and we estimate 'communal' food to cost ÂŁ40-ÂŁ50 per person for the whole trip.

Each rider MUST bring (at least) ÂŁ50's worth of 'sponsorship' with them and ONLY 50cc bikes will be allowed to take part. All riders need to bring (or organise the carrying of) their own spares. Riders using same/similar machines should contact others and maybe pool/share spares.

Please note:
http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring...ds/DG_10016249

1) What is a moped?

A moped is a motorcycle that has the following features:

maximum design speed not exceeding 50 kilometres per hour (km/h) (about 31 miles per hour (mph)
an engine capacity no greater than 50 cc
it can be moved by pedals, if the moped was first used before 1 September 1977

2) If you have a car licence...

If you obtained your full car licence before 1 February 2001 you are automatically entitled to ride a moped without L-plates (D-plates in Wales).

If you obtained a full car licence after 1 February 2001 you must first complete a CBT course and obtain a DL 196 certificate to validate your entitlement.
Please add your name to the list(s) below (depending if you're riding or 'supporting') and please note: Everybody taking part MUST PM the 'PREFECTS' below with their info - Name, Postcode, Dietry Requirements, what support they can offer/transport for bikes etc.

If you're not on Rad Dubs list, you won't be coming, if you're not on Artist's or Raemond's list, you won't get fed. If you're not on Woofs' list - you may get 'bad medicine' if you fall ill.

Here are three important links, please spread them around on any forums you visit/Facebook etc.:

http://www.facebook.com/JOGLE4BRADS?sk=info

http://www.justgiving.com/JOGLE4BRADS

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=714873

Please use the following form to raise sponsorship locally and then 'donate' the lot as a 'lump' onto the JustGiving page - so we hit our ÂŁ10K target. :)

Sponsorship Form PDF downloadable here: http://www.volkszone.co.uk/brian/JOGLESPONSORSHIPFORM.pdf

Or JPEG version

JOGLE 4 BRAD'S PREFECTS

Logistics/Transport - Rad Dubs and Englishmen
Profile: http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/member.php?u=1129
Please PM him your real name, postcode and any info on 'support', if you can help moving bikes or give a lift to any others - or if you need a lift. etc. etc. He will also need your T-Shirts size. If you're not on Rad Dubs' 'list' you won't be taking part - so PLEASE do this ASAP. :)

Quartermaster/Chef/Boss of Grub/Campsite Erector & Dismantler - artist
Profile: http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/member.php?u=7840
Please PM him if you can help with cooking and/or helping set up the camp(s) and breaking down the camps each day.
IMPORTANT We are desperate for help from VZi'ers who are NOT on the run but live near the stops/campsites to help store food in fridges and even maybe cook some of it in their homes. If you can help, PLEASE PM artist. It means you can support the cause even if you're not doing the run itself. Thank you.

Dietry Requirements/Assistant to artist/Head girl - Raemond
Profile: http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/member.php?u=51667
Please PM Raemond with any dietry requirements, especially if you are vegetarian, allergic to anything or just a fussy twat. :)

First Aid Co-ordinator - woofs
Profile: http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/member.php?do=getinfo&u=32180
Please PM woofs with details of any medical conditions/medication/next of kin details in case of emergency. Also please PM her if you have no conditions at all.
PLEASE SEE POST #4

Routemaster/Milk Fuel Monitor - Nige G
Profile: http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/member.php?do=getinfo&u=9321
Nige and myself have taken a lot of time plotting the route so we stay on 'sensible' roads and have gas stations at every 50 miles or so. However, we think it best we carry spare fuel too. Please PM Nige if you are 'support' and can help carrying spare petrol/2-stroke. Also PM him if you have any local knowledge of the route/parts of the route. We *think* we have arrived at the best compromise, but if you know something that we don't please posts your comments below.
PLEASE SEE POST #12

WE STILL NEED THE FOLLOWING:

Press/Media/Publicity - I'll be hitting the TV Companies and as many of the Nationals myself. If you can help contact local Radio and TV and local papers for the areas en route - please put yourself forward now - it will mean sending countless emails and/or making telephone calls - but without publicity, it will raise less money. So, if you're up for the thankless task of 'selling' it to the media, please raise your hand now. One person 'heading' it and several helping would be really cool and I'll get a template 'letter' together that you can adapt to send out.

Food Help - We are desperate for help from VZi'ers who are NOT on the run but live near the stops/campsites to help store food in fridges and even maybe cook some of it in their homes. If you can help, PLEASE PM artist. It means you can support the cause even if you're not doing the run itself. Thank you.

We also need to borrow or buy (and sell at the end): 2 x calor/LPG powered stoves, the sort of cooker you get in a mobile home - four rings and an oven - grill not important. Calor gas bottles for above - 15kg would be ideal, three/four off. Large cooking pans - and I mean catering-sized. Four or more. Two/three heavy-duty tables for food-prep and service.

Support Vehicles - to either follow the run and/or help get bikes up to JOG and then collect from LE. Even if you can't ride, come spend a week with some mentallist 'dubbers on 'peds. :)

Sponsors - If you know of any companies that can throw a few quid in, please put the bite on them. :)

VW ACTION SOUTHWEST
Those NOT doing the run can support Brad's Cancer Foundation by attending VW Action Southwest
A Special One-Off Weekend Event in aid of Brad's Cancer Foundation
Friday 13th-Sunday 15th April 2012
The Showground • Stithians • Truro • Cornwall • TR3 7HL
nasevents@orange.fr or 01279 72 52 52
www.vwaction.co.uk

IMPORTANT DISCLAIMER - MUST BE SIGNED

Paul from Brad's sent this 'disclaimer' through. (Click to download.)

http://www.volkszone.co.uk/brian/JOGLEDISC2011.pdf

Everybody needs to print one off, sign it and give it to Paul at John O' Groats.

IMPORTANT! MONEY FOR CAMPING/FOOD ETC.

Sorry, I know it's nearly Xmas and things are tight . . . but some 'deposits' need paying etc.

Anyone who's 'in' needs to send a ÂŁ50 deposit by 31st January 2012 with the ÂŁ80 'balance' by March 31st - sorry.

This will cover all camping and food, with a contribution to the main support vehicles' fuel - I mean the vehicles carrying the 'repair workshop', cooking gear and tents etc.

Please PayPal to: nasevents@orange.fr

And please include both your REAL name and your VZi user name in the PayPal email.

Those who don't have PayPal please find a mate who does (or get into the 21st Century and sign up. ;))

Anyone who's not paid the ÂŁ50 by Jan 31st will be deemed to be 'out' - sorry, but we need to see who's serious as there is a shitload of planning that needs REAL numbers.

Sorry to be the bearer of 'bad news'/'asking for dosh' in these times - but it has to be done.

ALSO, PLEASE READ THIS HELPFUL THREAD

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread.php?t=747245

PHOTOS

We now have a JOGLE 4 BRAD'S FLICKR group.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/jogle4brads/

It will enable us all to share relevant pics.

Firstly, you'll need your own FLICKR account and then you will need to PM with the email address you opened/registered your FLICKR account with and I will invite you to be part of the group.

(Apologies to Photobucket users.)

Then it is as simple selecting pics from your own library(s) and adding them to the group pool.

By downloading the FLICKR app we will all be able to upload and share pics from our smartphones from the run itself - helping to keep a permanent record of the whole JOGLE 4 BRAD'S experience.

In the meantime, please get those accounts opened and copy across any relevant pics of your bikes, back up vehicle, trailer or similar. As much as we'd all love to see pic's of your lady's norks - let's try and keep the group vaguely 'on topic'.

Thanks in advance.

Bri

See less See more
#2 ·
THE RIDERS

If you want in, please let us know below and I'll add you to the list (and delete your post) - PLEASE REMEMBER TO PM THE PREFECTS RIGHT AWAY TOO!

1.Brizey B - Yamaha FS1E
2. Kevo - Yamaha FS1E
3. Iain - Yamaha EW50
4. Polly - Peugeot Speedfighter
5. Funkmaster - Honda Express
6. Till - Piaggio NRG
7. john.stone - TBC
8. slammedbus - Mobylette or Italjet Jetset
9. FVDE - TBC
10. Carpetmark - Honda Dax
11. Paul Utting -Monkeybike.
12. Mark, Brads -Monkeybike.
13. Mick, Brads -Monkeybike.
14. Rad Dubs -Honda C50.
15 The Darkside, Honda Sky.
16 Ghia57 -TBC
17 nathan93- gilera ice - maybe
18 Garys67 - TBC
19 GREENIE - TBC
20 Mr.Orange - Honda C50
21 SP2 -TBC
22 Disco Biscuit -TBC
23 ColG -TBC
24 veedweeb - Yamaha YN50 Neo's
25 Robandmaxx - Honda C50
26 Raemond + Sam Jelfs, rides TBC (one rider one support. probably)
27 Morty - Suzuki tr50 street magic
28 Claire -MZ Simson (RobandMaxx's Girlfriend)
29 hondadax- DT50mx
30 Alice de camper -Raleigh Runabout.
31 Flyin_flea -TBC
32 passatman - Peugeot 103
33 Yorkiebay - TBC
34 spannerboy- TBC
35 woofs -Honda SH50
36 Der schweiĂźer -TBC
37 Guru67-C50 or Honda Express
38 t25spen honda melody or similar
39 Adoo -TBC
40 dubmeister -TBC
41 Rogbik - FS1E
42 rob75 -TBC
43 Brumm - Honda C50
44 sdbscooby -TBC
45 Vee.Dubster - Honda C50
46 Gizago -Yamaha FS1E
47 Bidz -TBC
58 Gottle o' Ghia - Yamaha FS1E
49 madjakmclaferty - Honda C50
50. Twon -Honda Camino
51. Dangermouse - Peugeot 101
52. markH1234 -SYM Jet euro x
53. BOBBYDAZZLER - kawasaki AR50
54. Rich Jones - Garelli Tiger Cross
55. Bigcheez2k3 -Honda SH50 Express.
56. bugsbuggy -TBC
57. Callum Stokes -TBC
58. spelllbound -TBC
59. Kank on something Honda SH50 Express.
60. D4NSC -TBC
61. villawagen -Yamaha FS1E
62. s4lco -TBC
63. busfreak - TBC
64. scratchpad93- (spelllbound's brother)-TBC
65. walkerdude2001 -TBC
66. DaveP67- ride 50cc afrikacorps themed side car replica!
67 vwcurtains - Peugeot Speedfighter
68 - juli_dub -TBC
69. V-Dub-Dave -TBC
70. Jules65 -Honda C50ZZ
71. BrianLT28 - TBC
72. Jon -Monkeybike.
73. nathanroberts136 - 97' Derbi Senda
74. Ben Mullett -TBC
75. ade t -TBC.
76. Mr Lee esq - Puch Maxi
77. Southern - Honda Express.
78. David92 - Honda Camino
79. Sammo - 1960s Jawa Moped
80. Tewy -Monkeybike
81. Notails - Mobylette Mobymatic Twin Seater.
82. Whitworth - TBC
83. Paz2 - 1965 Yamaha YF1
84. Raz - TBC
85. bp_88 - Piaggio TBC
86. WITHDRAWN
87. TheColvilleKid - Tamoretti Retro 50
88. Tomarse - 1958 Simson SR2
89. Highside65 - vespa

#3 ·
THE SUPPORT

If you want in, please let us know below and I'll add you to the list (and delete your post) - PLEASE REMEMBER TO PM THE PREFECTS RIGHT AWAY TOO.

1. Prawnie. Hopefully early bay. Offers to bring west country riders. Space allowing.
2. Chris Burrows - Chrysler Voyager or maybe T5 Camper (if I can blag one) - possibly
3. PULLED OUT
4. Cherry early bay panel (fingers crossed) or sure I can swindle a van from somewhere
5. Carpet Mark If someone wants to be support crew but has no vehicle, I have a LWB Movano with tow bar that can be used. It is fully insured for anyone over 25.
6. Mrs slammedbus will be along for support, t4 camper, hopefully with towbar mounted spec with a spare ped.
7. Bigbadbugga, Subaru outback, can carry tools parts tents or whatever needed
9. Budget Bus With T4, small Gennie (Photography cover for the event) Unless the other BB has some one else in mind. Oh and a passenger seat if anyone wants to co pilot. I can do the full event if i get saving for fuel
10) Lowval, Type 25 pop top Westfalia. Can't transport bikes but could do spares ? Up for the full journey too
11) Ryan and Pippa ( Renault master support van )
12) judgie with transit box trailer and kit
13) D4NSC - Sprinter or 7.5tonner
14) Jay James - Golf VR6
15) Chelseahelen - T4 camper - happy to cook, am first aid qualified and can lug stuff around in van as needed too
16) Big Jon's mate - Large van
17) Bee - Spannerboy's Wedge
18) Proudpeace - T5
19) PULLED OUT
20) Bugandbus and wickedwyche, whole run in the Bay with 2 or 3 bike trailer, room for spares, carrying tools, help wherever needed.
21) Nic and Josh Utting - T4
22) jonny7 - T25/3 - happy to carry riders/gear etc.
23) Danny Lord
24) Kank's Missus - T25
25) schmeil1 - First aid

COOKING/CAMP SUPPORT

1. Chris Burrows
2. Ryan and pippa
3. Artist aka Simon the pieman - can cook industrial quantities
4. SBG (From Cirencester onwards)
5. WITHRAWN
6. Zenith Blue
7. Mrs Slammedbus (Andrea Drage)
8. proupeace

#4 ·
From woofs

Afternoon,

I've taken on the task of trying to get all the info together for the First Aiders and Personal Medical info for the road trip.

Step 1

I would appreciate it (I know some have done it already) if you could please let me know if you would be willing to hold your hand up and be counted as a first aider. ( Please let me know what qualifications you have or will be taking)

I think there should be 1 first aider per 30 ish people. (Possibly more if we are going to split into groups on the journey) Each of these people will have a decent first aid kit at their disposal, that they should try and keep with them at all times. Each of these people will be recognisable with probably some kind of High Viz item of clothing (sash, arm band - something of this nature).

If anyone has any contacts to pick up first aid supplies or the likes, then please also PM me with any details you have so far.

Step 2

Here's the sensitive bit.

The well being of everybody taking part is one of the most important factors that has to be considered.

I would request that all those that are taking part, would please inform me if they have any long term illnesses, have any relevant medical conditions which may or may not flare up/ be made apparent during the course of the adventure, are taking daily medication or may require medication at short notice. I also think it would be very useful if you could let me know if you are allergic or intolerant to anything. (This may overlap with the food request info, but i would be grateful if you could please repeat the info)

Can i please request that you all PM me with the above information or any information you think should be known to someone treating you (doctors, nurses, ambulance staff or first aiders) if you are unable to tell them yourself. Even if you do not have any medical problems, i would be grateful if you could just send a PM to let me know there is nothing to know. This is so that i know everyone has been accounted for.

I would like to confirm that all the information passed to me will be kept in the strictest of confidence and will be on a need to know basis. I will be making a file with all the information in to take on the trip, but it will only ever be revealed if it is ever needed in a medical emergency.

I am open to suggestions on all of the above, please PM me.

Something i should have requested would be next of kin details.

Quite a few are doing it with partners/OH's/wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend but others aren't.

What i would also like to compile is a list of people to contact in major emergencies. Even those of you who are doing it with nearest and dearest, is there anyone, in worst case scenario, that we would need to contact.

#6 ·
DAY 2 - SUNDAY 8th APRIL
Start from Borlum Campsite at 8.00am ride 153.5 miles and arrive at Somerville Weir Hall/John.stone's approximately 3.30pm - the yellow squares are 'break' stops and/or 'fuel' stops.

(Click cream bar for BIG)

#9 ·
DAY 5 - WEDNESDAY 11th APRIL
Start from Worksop Rugby Club at 8.00am ride 138.8 miles and arrive at Tunnel House Campsite ( http://www.tunnelhouse.com/ ) at approximately 5.21pm - this allows for a 2 hours stop at Queens Medical Centre Nottingham. As before, the yellow squares are 'break' stops and/or 'fuel' stops.

#11 ·
DAY 7 - FRIDAY 13th APRIL
Start from Fox & Hounds Campsite at 8.00am ride 95.9 miles and arrive at LAND'S END (yaaay!) at approximately 1.00pm - includes 30 minute stop at petrol station 2 miles from LE for everyone to get together so we can arrive at LE together. As before, the yellow squares are 'break' stops and/or 'fuel' stops.

ALL ETAS ARE BASED ON 8.00am (SHARP) SET-OFFS AND NO BREAKDOWNS - THEY ALL INCLUDE ONE 15 MINUTE STOP EVERY TWO HOURS

#12 · (Edited)
PETROL

We could do with knowing what riders have a partner or mate coming along as support in a car/bus/van and those who have no backup.

If those that DO have support can get their backup vehicle to carry a 5 litre can of fuel for them.

Will we pass plenty of petrol stations on the route but there might not be any close to the campsites. If your backup carries some fuel for you then you can fill up at the campsite in the evening and be ready for the next leg. The backup vehicles can then pop into a petrol station along the route to refill their can ready for the next night etc etc.

For those with no backup vehicle the support vehicles can carry a couple of 25 litre jerry cans each to fill you up in the evening.

Please PM Rad Dubs and Englishmen if you do NOT have backup. Please make sure you PM him with your full name.

Those who DO have backup please arrange to have them carry a 5 litre can for you.

EDIT: Please remember that refuelling must be done WELL AWAY from any tents/fires/lit cigarettes etc etc.

2ND EDIT: Support vehicles should bring a fire extinguisher each, please.

3RD EDIT:I'm no longer going to be able to help with any of this so please PM Rad Dubs and Englishmen about this. Thanks

#13 ·
for those traveling north from way down south for the start of this epic adventure!! i will run an open house for anyone who wants to stop over/ have a brew or just a rest stop. as im about half way at J29 on the M6.

and for those who are starting from up north anyway and need a stop of on the way back after completing this trip.. the same applies.

we can accomodate a few small tents on the front and rear gardens and could juggle things about to park up a few vans with access to electric hookup if needed. might even let ya have a shower shit and shave!!!

BBQ and a beer might even happen!!!

#14 ·
Right, I've just got off the blower from another marathon call with Bri :D
We've decided that along with all the contact details previously asked for, I also need to know what bike each rider will be on (as and when you know), and those with mechanical skills should also make themselves known, these two details are so that we can figure out riding groups where similar bikes can be grouped together, partly so that speeds within a group are similar, but also so that common spares can be found in one support van with that group, and at least one mechanically inclined person can be found in each group.

#15 ·
Howdy folks,

right then me n the Mrs have just done this in the car and are literally just in the door...........

Not sure where to put my info so im putting it in here and the JOGLE info sticky thread........................can be deleted as felt appropriate..

Im knackered so will upload pics and do a proper write up over the next few days ...........

However i feel this following info is important for Nige Brian and SUPPORT DRIVERS so............

FAO...............................NIGE.....................

Your first rest/petrol stop at HELMSDALE.................. petrol station CLOSED DOWN....................This was 53 miles from JOG...

However...........further on at BRORA (64 miles from JOG) there are TWO petrol stations..........one of these IS 24 HR.............

ALNESS............Rest/petrol stop................could NOT find petrol station!!!!...............
However, there is a petrol station at Invergordon(93 miles from JOG)
or Skiach(104 miles from JOG)...............

If you still wish to make Helmsdale a rest stop,then on the way OUT of Helmsdale there is a small cafe(and i mean small) BUT it has a carpark off the road so the peds and some of the support vehicles can fit in.

We visited BOTH camping sites.....JOG and Borlum....we spoke to the staff at both sites and they are expecting us.................:D
I do have some pics of both camp sites and a select few of the journey we will do.
I will stick them up over the next few days as we are both shattered,its been a long day....0850 till 1830......so bear with me please............

FAO...
SUPPORT VEHICLES/DRIVERS and passengers................

after todays drive...............at national speed limit level;)
It has re-affirmed to me how BIG an under taking this is going to be,not just for the PED RIDERS but YOU lot also..............if you stay with the slowest Ped rider it IS going to be a long tiring day for you too..................just thought i would let you all know:D

and finally but not least............

FAO BRIAN..............

please forgive me Brian if you have already done or applied for this...but i only found out about the following by accident.......

Are we(the JOGLE ped riders) REGISTERED with ....The End to End club (seems to be what most folk are calling it) Its official name is....The Lands end john o groats club???
These are the folk/organisation that all JOGLE events register with to have their journey VERIFIED..................
I collected the membership and certification forms and transit/ verification forms on my way out.Each form has the address/contact details on it.

From what i can gather these folk are the ones that confirm you have done the said journey and dish out certificates........

If you need them i can post them to you or bring them to Action so they can be copied?????

And finally finally......................on my way out of getting the above paperwork i noticed a piccy(amongst lots) of a group of folk who had done this on ..................................scooters

right then,i thankyou and am orf for a bloody hot shower ....strong coffee and plenty of smokes:D

Keep smilin

Mario:D:D

#16 ·
Nige,

just a bit of info for you on the roads/hills on the JOG to Drumnadrochit leg...........

After leaving JOG......we get to a place called Libster.........at this point we will hit two areas of STEEP hills.........15% incline........the peds will struggle on this degree of incline...........

On one of these hills the road is VERY twisty so caution will be needed and also we could back the traffic up behind us...

And coming into the valley at Drumnadrochit, again we will hit 15% incline .........

Just thought the info was worth mentioning and am not hinting at changing anything:D

If we have GOOD weather,this leg will provide a good deal of enjoyment as the scenery is STUNNING and in some areas we are about 20 yards from the sea itself(albeit for a short period of time)

Hope this is of use to you for any notes you maybe adding to your route......?

Cheers

Mario:D

#17 ·
A suggestion.........

Is there any chance that folk could do what i have done?

Ie......................Drive or ride the route nearest to yourself...

then that way we know of any problems or iffy areas BEFORE we arrive at them........

I think this would provide invaluable info for Nige(routemaster)..and for the support drivers.................

Cheers

Mario:D

#18 ·
I'm happy to go and drive the Day 6 route at some point in the next fortnight, depending on the availability of the car, and how hectic 'work' is.

The only issue I can see from a quick look at the map is that going through Bath isn't going to be very much fun, and the A30 out of Exeter has quite a long and steep climb.

You can also put me down to assist with the Press and PR. I assume that will start some time in February next year apart from the TV stuff?

Cheers M'dears.

#26 ·
I'm happy to go and drive the Day 6 route at some point in the next fortnight, depending on the availability of the car, and how hectic 'work' is.

The only issue I can see from a quick look at the map is that going through Bath isn't going to be very much fun, and the A30 out of Exeter has quite a long and steep climb.

You can also put me down to assist with the Press and PR. I assume that will start some time in February next year apart from the TV stuff?

Cheers M'dears.
Re the route - I can do some or all of the West or East Midlands if that would help? If there are specific parts that need testing, let me know and I'll take a look :)
Did these^ happen at all guys?

#25 ·
VW ACTION SOUTHWEST
Those NOT doing the run can support Brad's Cancer Foundation
by attending VW Action Southwest
A Special One-Off Weekend Event in aid of Brad's Cancer Foundation
Friday 13th-Sunday 15th April 2012
The Showground • Stithians • Truro • Cornwall • TR3 7HL
nasevents@orange.fr or 01279 72 52 52
www.vwaction.co.uk

#29 · (Edited)
Not sure if this should go on this thread or some other place have been giving thought to bike prep and spares to take etc and thought I would share , with the hope that people will add to list.:)

So - Getting to know your ped;

1, Find out and write down on tyre rim front and rear tyre preassures (will be affected by luggage so check).

2, Petrol tap - know what way is for what ( on / off / reserve ) and master switching between on and reserve whilst riding - mega important for c50 riders as its very awkward and you don't want to run out off petrol with no clutch to pull in !

3, Sort a set of spare bulbs - find some and store on bike (well padded !) and know how to change if needed, especially important if your running 6 volts as you arn't gonna find any 6 volt bulbs in the local Halfords !

4,Learn how to adjust any thing that can be adjusted chain / brakes / cables / lights etc and lubricate before hand so they can be adjusted ;)

5, Learn how to change an inner tube or carry a tyre plug for tubeless tyres (store tube or kit on bike).

6, Find what fuse / fuses your bike takes and how to change them store on bike.

7, Strip off any part that you might need to remove on ride and lubricate so nothings seized when you need to do it quick at the side of road.

8, Once youv'e done 6- 10 keep all your tools out and you now have your bikes tool kit :D

9, Petrol - most older peds won't have a gauge just a reserve on the petrol tap, fill up your tank and take a full jerry can with you note mileage then go and do numbers 10/11. When you run out of petrol / turn onto reserve note the mileage , carry on until you run out fully again note mileage and then fill up from your gerry can.You now know how far a tank will get you ,when you need to switch onto reserve and how far that will get you.

10, Once you are confident go for a long ride (100 plus miles )with all your gear/luggage (if you plan to carry any).

11, Test your waterproofs and hone your wet weather skills by doing the same (still with luggage) on a nasty rainy day.

Servicing your ped;

- Read your manaul (or purchase / dowload one then read it !)

- Check spokes.

- Wheel bearings, check / grease or replace.

- Fork oil, check / top up or change.

- Change oil and filter (most peds have a tea strainer type filter similar to old dubs although the c50 has this its also uses the clutch as a centrifugal filter - mine had never been cleaned !).

- Either replace chain and sprockets or satisfy your self there gonna be ok and oil (best done after that long run mentioned) I'm thinking of having two diffrent sprockets one for hilly sections and one for flat.

- Check fuel lines and add a fuel filter , my tank was also full of crud so I drained and cleaned - definatly worth doing if bikes been standing.

- Check brake wear / lubricate parts and cable or replace fluid if pads.

- Oil all control cables and check for fraying.

- Oil / lubricate any thing else , grease points etc.

- Change / check air filter.

- Sounds mad but check your tyres, I was riding home at speed thinking why is my bike wobbly - probaly need to check my tyre preassures and found my tyre not just bald but down to the wire !

Please update / add to / move or edit as you see fit !

Next lunchtimes update will be on what spares to take with you.

Cheers Rob :D

#30 ·
Not sure if this should go on this thread or some other place have been giving thought to bike prep and spares to take etc and thought I would share , with the hope that people will add to list.:)

So - Getting to know your ped;

1, Once you are confident go for a long ride (100 plus miles )with all your gear/luggage (if you plan to carry any).

2, Test your waterproofs and hone your wet weather skills by doing the same (still with luggage) on a nasty rainy day.

3, Find a write down on tyre rim front and rear tyre preassures (will be affected by luggage so check).

4, Petrol - most older peds won't have a gauge just a reserve on the petrol tap, fill up your tank and take a full jerry can with you note mileage then go and do numbers 1/2. When you run out of petrol / turn onto reserve note the mileage , carry on until you run out fully again note mileage and then fill up from your gerry can.You now know how far a tank will get you ,when you need to switch onto reserve and how far that will get you.

5, Petrol tap - know what way is for what ( on / off / reserve ) and master switching between on and reserve whilst riding - mega important for c50 riders as its very awkward and you don't want to run out off petrol with no clutch to pull in !

6, Sort a set of spare bulbs - find some and store on bike (well padded !) and know how to change if needed, especially important if your running 6 volts as you arn't gonna find any 6 volt bulbs in the local Halfords !

7,Learn how to adjust any thing that can be adjusted chain / brakes / cables / lights etc and lubricate before hand so they can be adjusted ;)

8, Learn how to change an inner tube or carry a tyre plug for tubeless tyres (store tube or kit on bike).

9, Find what fuse / fuses your bike takes and how to change them store on bike.

10, Strip off any part that you might need to remove on ride and lubricate so nothings seized when you need to do it quick at the side of road.

11, Once youv'e done 6- 10 keep all your tools out and you now have your bikes tool kit :D

Please update move edit as you see fit !

Next lunchtimes update will be on what servicing to do beforehand and what spares to take with you.

Cheers Rob :D
:)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.