Volkszone Forum banner

floorpans

Chassis 
2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Jinx 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me the reason for welding the body of a beetle to the floor pans, is it so much of a big issue if your pans and heater channels are solid and you are not going to do a body off resto in the future and the car passes its mot.

#2 ·
if your floor panels are solid and heater channels are ok why would you weld them together the only reason people weld them together is they are to lazy to do a proper job still its your car the reason vw bolted them together was for ease of splitting the body and pan for repairs i am in the process of splitting a body and shell that some muppet welded together so its no fun for the next owner

#6 ·
IIRC there used to be a "repair" panel available for the heater channel bottoms that just welded on one side to the heater channel, and the other side to the edge of the floorpan.

OK for a quick bodge to scrape a rusty bug through another MOT or two, but it's not a proper repair.

Dave.

#7 ·
If everything else is good and you don't need to throw a shed load of money at it then it's probably not much of a problem.
However bodges like this usually mean you'll find bodges in other places too. Have someone look over the car for you before you spend any more on it, you could find that the car is beyond a quick mild resto to get it on the road.

#8 ·
dont knock the use of these cheaper repair panels aka bodges.....back in the day, 30/40 our beloved aircooled vws were seen as cheap banger type cars. I remember the days when one couldnt give a splitty van or 411 away. Without those half arsed bodge repairs our pool of cars would be much much smaller, the cars didnt have the capital value to be extensively restored, thats only happened in the last 20 or so years.

#11 ·
If thoes pictures are of the bug in question then the whoever told you the
pans and heater channels are solid .
Are not being helpfull.
if I were you id keep well clear, for others with the skills/ability/time/money/knowledge, then it may not be a major issue if the vehicle was available for scrap money or similar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.