GOT AN MOT QUESTION?

Tags
mot
305K views 260 replies 106 participants last post by  nel5on69 
#1 ·
#81 ·
#83 ·
Rock and roll beds in buses

What are the rules regarding fold out beds in a split screen bus please?

Mate of mine has a Canterbury Pitt and wants to keep the original seating/sleeping arrangement but wants a quicker way of setting up for sleeping. And he wants to fit seatbelts

he can't use a standard rock and roll because the Pitt has drawers over the engine bay

thanks for your help

#90 ·
well this guys say different:

http://www.dft.gov.uk/pgr/roadsafety/drs/hidheadlamps

In the Department's view it is not legal to sell or use after market HID lighting kits, for converting conventional Halogen headlamps to HID Xenon. If a customer wants to convert his vehicle to Xenon HID he must purchase completely new Xenon HID headlamps. The reason for this is that the existing lens and reflector are designed around a Halogen filament bulb, working to very precise tolerances. If one places a HID "burner" (bulb) in the headlamp, the beam pattern will not be correct, there will be glare in some places and not enough light in other places within the beam pattern.

The following is the legal rationale:

The Road Vehicle Lighting Regulations 1989 regulate the situation in the UK.
Under these Regulations, HID/Gas Discharge/Xenon headlamps are not mentioned and therefore they are not permitted according to the strict letter of the law.

However new vehicles have HID headlamps. This is because they comply to European type approval Regulations. The UK cannot refuse to register a vehicle with a European type approval. These are to ECE Regulation 98 (for the HID headlamps which are tested on a rig in a laboratory) and ECE Regulation 48 (Lighting Installation on the vehicle).

For the after market, a used vehicle cannot obtain type approval because it is only applicable for new vehicles. However we feel that saying "HID is banned in the after market" would not be reasonable. Instead we should make analogies with new vehicles. It would be reasonable to require HID in the after market to meet the same safety standards as on new vehicles. The same level of safety should apply.

Therefore a HID headlamp unit sold in the after market should:

1. be type approved to ECE Regulation 98 as a component.

2. when fitted to the vehicle should enable ECE Regulation 48 to be complied with (although no government inspection will take place).

3. Comply with RVLR as far as "use" is concerned.

In practice this means:

1. The headlamp unit (outer lens, reflector, bulb) shall be type approved to ECE 98 and be "e-marked" to demonstrate this. That can only be done by the headlamp supplier - Hella, Valeo etc. who must test the headlamp in an independent laboratory.

2. Once fitted to the vehicle it must have headlamp cleaning and self-levelling (which can be for the headlamp or can be in the vehicle suspension - some expensive estate cars have "self-levelling suspension" and that is adequate). Also the dipped beam must stay on with the main beam.

3. The headlamp must be maintained in good working order, kept clean, and aligned/adjusted correctly like any other headlamp.

Under the Road Traffic Act 1988 it is an offence to supply, fit or use vehicle parts which are not legal.

In summary it is not permitted to convert an existing halogen headlamp unit for use with HID bulbs. The entire headlamp unit must be replaced with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs and it must be installed in accordance with the rules stated above.

If you require any further information regarding the regulations covered by this fact sheet, please contact the DfT at the address below:

Transport Technology and Standards 6
Department for Transport
Zone 2/04
Great Minster House
76 Marsham Street
London
SW1P 4DR

Telephone: 020 7944 2078
Fax: 020 7944 2196
Email: TTS.enquiries@dft.gsi.gov.uk

#91 ·
teh thread is 'mot questions' not 'are they legal to use'

under the headlight sections-

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_160.htm

http://www.motuk.co.uk/manual_120.htm

there is no mention of retro fitted HID kits.

so for an MOT they are fine.

according to the Road Traffic Act 1988 they are not legal. and that is a totally different issue.

until VOSA change thier mind and update the test, they can stay.

in my experience HID conversions work fine and provide a good clear pattern

#98 ·
Hello all,

I want to build a volksrod but not too sure whether it will pass an mot without wings or wheel arches etc...

I cant find the answer anywhere
if you can't find a reeason to fail it it must pass. Simple

My 68 is lowered..... Is this an MOT fail?
only if you have inadequate clearance on the bump stops, your lights are out of aim or the steering fouls part of the vehicle.

but you will piss the tester off if he can't get the jacking beam under it...

#99 ·
Indicators

One of the long list of fails was that i did not have rear indicators. I have a 59 that has had the semaphores replaced with ears and i have us spec headlamps with front indicators. i cant see anything in the MOT manual that says you have to fit rear indicators, just that if they are present they have to be working???

#100 ·
One of the long list of fails was that i did not have rear indicators. I have a 59 that has had the semaphores replaced with ears and i have us spec headlamps with front indicators. i cant see anything in the MOT manual that says you have to fit rear indicators, just that if they are present they have to be working???
I understand it as that they have to be visable from the rear.

interesting question, if I remember i'll look into it.

#102 · (Edited)
Just a few questions....1968 fastback. Are any of these a reason for faliure?

- I have no warning on the dash that dipped beam is on, although I do when sidelights are on and the full beam dash light works.

- I have a reverse light fitted, but it doesn't work.

- The front tyres are a different size to the rear.

- Ball joint rubber split.

Any advice would be fab.:)

#103 ·
Not sure where I should put this so I'll just shove it in here.

My 106 is due for it's MOT soon so have a small question;

One of the lights behind my speedo has broken meaning only the higher side (70mph>) of the speedo is lit up properly. The other side, <70mph, is still visible when driving but not as much as when the bulb was working. Would this cause me to fail the MOT?

Might be a stupid question but if it does mean it would fail I'll have to fix it which means getting all the dials out.

#113 ·
I'm putting my car into the MOT next week. I know that the headlights are not properly adjusted but I have nowhere flat to do this. The MOT station said that headlamp adjustment is the one thing they are allowed to do during the MOT and still be able to pass it. Is this correct, or will I simply get a FAIL? I couldn't see anything about this in the MOT Testers guide posted at the top of this thread.

#114 ·
it depends on how helpfull they are.

I do it anyway during the test, some will fail then charge to adjust them (so much for cheap mot's)

you can't realistically make it a DIY job as you need a beam setter to make it work, this makes it a favorite for some garages to fail you again on a retest and then charge all over again.

best advice - make sure your adjusters work 100%, ask the guy to set them, bung him a fiver at the end.

if they are siezed, then you'll get nowhere.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.