Volkszone Forum banner

Shell Island just north of Barmouth

36K views 52 replies 31 participants last post by  andymacg 
#1 · (Edited)
Largest campsite but you can always camp in a spot on your own.
Camp looking out to sea or find a spot in sand dunes or large grass areas.
sea comes in at high tide so covers road in so no get off. check tide times. Don't always cover the road.
Shower block, shop, pub, cafe, great long beaches, have a camp fire and just chill and watch the dolfins and sealions go by.

Make sure you take your rubbish away when you leave. will be kicked off if music loud. has security patrol at night.

If coming in from barmouth just before you turn into the road to it...there's a garage and good shop opposite.
Garage has large bags for about £5 full of logs, kindling. remember fire lighters.
Shop opposite has all supplies but has a great butchers shop inside for the BBQ;)

http://www.shellisland.co.uk/

See less See more
#31 ·
there isn't much surf in barmouth, if you follow the coast road to abersoch theres a small road you can take for about 2miles which brings you out on a cove called "hells mouth" its the only place i know around there i know, i learned to surf there, have been back a few tome (i went in march and it was f**kin freezing) but you do get some good waves,there are a few surf shops in abersoch that use this in summer for surfing lessons and hire out gear. if you put it in google you can find a webcam and surf reports.

#34 ·
Went during half term and loved it as usual

sunsets were hard to not look at

then again its not every day you can watch ***** get battered and a sunset like this:lol:

we woke up looked out of the window to see 3 dolphins playing just off the shore:D

cant wait to go back in summer

#36 ·
I'm going to shell island this weekend and can't bloody wait. Caught some sea bass and a load af mackerel last time so I'll be having smoked mackerel for tea hopefully. The harbour wall near the boat ramps is a great place to catch mackerel at high tide.

There's a bloke in Barmouth who runs a sea fishing excursion, costs about 25 quid for 4 hours, all bait and tackle is included. It's brilliant for any novices such as myself.

Unfortunatley the camper won't be ready in time but I'll still enjoy the evening campfires and the beautiful sunsets from my tent.

It's one of my favourite campsites in the UK and well recommended if you've never been.

#38 ·
I'm currently trying to talk Mr VR6 and his mini-me into going here soon, when the weather's good (hopefully), even just for a night! The youngster has never been camping (shocker...at 12 years old too) so it's time to put that right!

Time to get the Bug in order, cleaned up, de-cob-webbed and pile the tents and shite in and off down the windy road :)

#53 ·
me and the wife was at shell island the other week, its an annual pilgramage for us, as we allways used to go in our LT28 camper

id give it a miss during peak times as it gets jam packed we discovered this during the long bank holiday in april/may this year and left after a night

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.