Volkszone Forum banner

just utter woe

Engine 
1K views 22 replies 6 participants last post by  camparikiller 
#1 ·
Right, I can't start my car.

The reason is because of fuel pissing out of the carb, it's a needle valve issue, I've tried three today, none are helping

So....I just refurbished my original German fuel pump, is it possible it's causing too much pressure?

I assembled it on the engine with the push rod at it's highest point, about 12mm it was, I know it's supposed to be 14mm.

The reason I refurbed it was because of fuel in the oil, natually I assumed that the shit arabic fuel pump I have was leaking, however, if it's the valve instead then that might have cause it.

Either way I'm pissed off with shit quality parts because this happens at least once every 3 months.

Here are some pictures taken in anger:-

Immediately after finishing cranking I took the carb cover off:

fuel leaking out of here:-

this is the piece of shit I was using:-

Changed it to another valve of similar quality, except this time it was GUSHING OUT

I'm wound up, I've been out there all day :mad:

Symptoms are - really really hard to start, if it does go it's revving really low, no guts at all, stinks of fuel out of the tailpipes

Flat battery now so have fucked it off until tomorrow.

Rant over, any opinions?!

See less See more
#3 ·
Thanks Jim :)

Less ranty response:- ;)

About half of the gasket was soaked in fuel too, the rounded part. It seems odd that the fuel level is correct, that's something I noticed too.

It seems there is too much down the throat, a quite noticeable puddle. The fuel squirts down as normal when you pull back the throttle.

When I put the second valve in to test it and got the large gurgling sound, fuel was coming out of the middle pipe on the bottom picture.

So, if the fuel level is correct and the pressure is likely correct, why would there be so much fuel forming a puddle at the bottom of the carb?

Does overfuelling produce the symptoms I described?

I did the valves last week and checked the points today, spot on, so thought initially it could be timing - currently got it statically timed at 7.5 (H1 engine 1969) as per normal - it still won't fire properly. It's a vac-only distributer; was going to do the usual checks with the strobe and then check the idle today, but can't even get it to fire because of this fuel issue.

#4 ·
The middle brass pipe is a vent from the bowl. Assuming that the needle valve is shutting off correctly, one other reason that fuel will appear from the vent tube is boiling of the petrol. That can happen after a long hot run if the engine bay temp goes up. But I don't know if you've been able to drive it enough to create that condition.

One last thing I can think of is being parked up facing uphill. That will shift the fuel level in the bowl and let it escape from the vent. Then the needle valve opens, admitting even more fuel which promptly siphons on out the vent. :lol:

Beyond all that, I'm at a loss.

Speedy Jim
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/

#5 ·
Oh, wait.

The original VW fuel pumps incorporated a special valve which prevented flooding due to expansion of petrol due to engine bay temps. That expansion created high pressure in the line into the needle valve, forcing it open.

This is a long shot, but maybe the aftermarket pump lacks that feature.

Again, this only occurs under high temp conditions.

#7 ·
edit:-

I've actually got the original German pump back on it, first time I've used it....

I've put a new diaphragm in it from the rebuild kit, kept everything else the same after cleaning. So it's got one main diaphram in it, the big one, and one square one that sits in the top.

I don't think i messed up putting it back together as it appears to just fit in.

There was a paper gasket that I left out that is the same shape as the top square diaphragm, solely because if you put it in, you can't get the lid on....

#12 ·
No it's the same as it's always been, as pictured - it should be the correct way round but I'm open to verification on that (you're talking about the little horseshoe shaped plastic that holds the float in right?)

Gonna check the main jet isn't loose tomorrow morning as per Phil69's suggestion.

I think I made a big mistake chucking out an original Solex needle valve 6 years ago...

#13 ·
no inside the mounting on the float ,is a thin metal tab .....you need to simply bend it to set the correct float height .......if this is too slack the float may run out of travel ,not shutting the needle valve , and then flooding the carb ......also the float may have fuel in it (leaking slightly) holding the needle valve open

#15 ·
Phil 69 - the main jet isn't loose

nomates - none of my floats are leaky but I can't see the metal tab on any of them:-

The two on the right are W.Germany ones, the left is a Brosol one.

vinyl Tap (awesome name for a cover band by the way :) )
- I'm very close to the Byfleet train station. Didn't know about southern carbs, will try them

The offer of a carb is excellent :) I have to get to bournemouth next weekend which is why I'm stressing; there I'll be able to pick up a more permanent replacement from a mate who has lots of spares.

#17 ·
okey cokey

I've put the H30 Solex Brazil back on it, still not firing. It's not leaking though so that's a step in the right direction.

Here are my spark plugs:-

clearly it's rich, its powdery soot. Number 1 and 2 were wet with fuel.

Checked the condensor, checked the timing light comes on when moving the dizzy and that's still set correctly.

Gonna clean plugs and see what happens.

#21 · (Edited)
Been out for a drive, 30mph for about 20 minutes.

It's really hot around the rear valence, you can't touch it.

You can hold the top of the dipstick though

Pulley is also hot.

It's this stupid H30 carb I think, it was doing it last time I used it.

Balls!! Have to wait until tomorrow as I have put some epoxy putty round the brass inlet on my Solex 30 PICT 2 as noticed a small leak there.

Also, checked number 4 plug, it had sooted up again even in that short time.

EDIT - lean running causes overheating, right, not rich running? So I'm a bit confused by it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.