Volkszone Forum banner

A few tips to help those helping you on here

General 
29K views 5 replies 3 participants last post by  Chippychap 
#1 ·
1) Be as descriptive to the make/model/year/engine size/fuel etc as you can.

2) Feedback is king,describe the syptoms/noises/area/affects to the vehicle as in detail as possible.

3)Inform us of any work recently carried out,it may be associated.

4)most modern stuff needs code reading,I have one similar to this
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/OBD-2-II-EOBD...ment?hash=item45eb61ae71&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

I find sometimes when my snap on one wont go in this does,go figure:lol:

Please read the instructions thoroughy before using though,because you are opening the ecu with it,you need to close it as well.

Make a note of any codes before clearing,we do quite often get what is called ghost codes,which means a non working part will also make another not work,so you have to read between the lines sometimes.

I think that is it for now.:lol:

See less See more
#2 ·
Can I add something?
If not applicable then a Forum wizard can delete it.
If someone attempts to help you please reply with updates and feedback then, not only can they more precisely home into the problem and offer additional help, but the rest of us then know what works in what circumstances.
Plus, it is polite and it is more likely someone else will wish to help you in the future :group:

#5 · (Edited)
live data is only listed as working on post 2000 cars but it works on my 1998 range rover and obd2 listed as working post 1996 but i suspect it works on earlier stuff with the correct socket. basically it reads all your sensors with engine running and then lists such things as real temp(handy if you suspect guages) and voltages at lambda and maf sensors(essential if fault code suggests either as you can see which it is or if you have two lambda sensors you can see which one is misbehaving rather than changing both) also co2, throttle position, crank sensor, timing and various other variables. this tool along with quick google can be invaluable whether 'techie' or not. also it can read both generic and manufacturer specific codes as you put in make and model before scanning. the wallet is good too;)
i had an old laptop with vagcom before but this does all it could do(except reset odometer) and more as covers most other cars too.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.