Volkszone Forum banner

Breaking a beetle, how much can you make?

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  Rizzo The Rat 
#1 ·
Did a quick search and couldn't find a thread on this.

Anyone broken up a 90% complete car and made decent money from it?

Roughly how much have you made?

Also, how much is a complete working 1300 engine/gearbox worth?

:)

#2 · (Edited)
I think we need some pics and more details here really.

It depends on the age and condition (presumably if it was really good condition, you wouldn't be breaking it). You say it is complete but complete with what?

If it has sloping front wings, solid doors, nice original alloys, complete golde sunroof, Judson Supercharger, good interior, dvd player, disc brake conversion, Hazet toolkit, oval dash, snowflake rear lights, roofrack, swampcooler, Austalian trim, spot/fog lights, cabrio decklid, roll cage, external sunvisor, etc then you cou could be in for a few quid. If not adjust prices accordingly!

It's really difficult to say without even knowing which Bug you have.

As for engine, the 1300 isn't really sought after as most people want bigger and so replace the 1200/1300 original which floods the engine market so to speak. My mate just bought a 1300 engine (complete with all ancillaries bar the dizzy) for £158 which I thought was a little above average but it was close to home so made up for it in time and fuel saved I guess

p.s. dibs on the swamp cooler please! :lol:

#3 ·
I think we need some pics and more details here really.

It depends on the age and condition (presumably if it was really good condition, you wouldn't be breaking it). You say it is complete but complete with what?

If it has sloping front wings, solid doors, nice original alloys, complete golde sunroof, Jenson Supercharger, good interior, dvd player, disc brake conversion, Hazet toolkit, oval dash, snowflake rear lights, roofrack, swampcooler, Austalian trim, spot/fog lights, cabrio decklid, roll cage, external sunvisor, etc then you cou could be in for a few quid. If not adjust prices accordingly!

It's really difficult to say without even knowing which Bug you have.

p.s. dibs on the swamp cooler please! :lol:
:lol: If only! I was just generally asking if anyone had done it and what they'd made.

I've got a '73 beetle that I started a resto on but the body is completely shot!

It was a complete, drivable car with tax and MOT up until the second week of February, so it has a fully functioning 1300 engine and box. Everything works or did work on it, obviously not now.

It has dropped spindles, disc brake conversion and some solid doors. Other than that, it's a beetle.

#6 ·
Spanky, post up some piccies and let's see what's there ;)
Is it a 1303 by the way?

#8 ·
Any interior pics? 2 or 3 point seat runners? What's the steering wheel like?

#10 ·
Nothing of use to me I'm afraid.

However, bits worth noting:
Uncut dash, blade bumpers, 60s rear lights, wheels might interest someone and if you say wings, doors, bonnet, decklid etc are in good nick then they should sell. Disc brakes are bound to interest someone and it looks like the car's been lowered. Ultimately not a massive amount of money in it to be honest unless you were going to strip it down to nothing and trade at shows with body cuts etc. Would it be better to sell as a project? Looks quite nice in the pics...

Try putting some up to date pics in Dude! What's My Car Worth? before you strit for parts. Personally, if you could get over £500 as a project, I wouldn't bother stripping it but that's just my personal opinion

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.