Volkszone Forum banner

changing 009 to svda problems

Engine 
3K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  Mr.Whippy 
#1 ·
Hi all. 1641TP type one engine in an early bay. Standard carb.

The 1641 in my camper is currently running a 009 with points fitted. I have read that the original SVDA dissy is better for mpg and overall running of the engine so I purchased one and also fitted an electronic ignition system in it so no more points gapping to worry about.

Set engine at TDC and rotor arm on 009 points to no1 cylinder (1 o'clock ish). Removed 009 and fitted SVDA but the rotor arm points to no2 cylinder (5 o'clock ish). Swapped HT leads over so no1 cylinder fires over the new postion (5 o'clock ish) and changed other leads so 1/4/3/2 firing order in a clockwise direction.

Engine will not fire. Removed HT lead and fitted old plug and when turning over get a good spark. Checked lead firing order and kept trying.

In the end put the 009 back in, swapped the leads back and fires up straight away.

Anything obvious that I am doing wrong? Can a dissy with electronic ignition be statically timed with a bulb holder and 2 wires?

See less See more
#2 ·
It's quite normal for the No. 1 firing position to be different between a 009 and a SVDA, and you already found the right solution by swapping the leads around.
Can you transplant the points and condenser into the SVDA, then you will be able to set the initial timing, statically, with your bulb & 2 wires.
Both the 009 and SVDA should be timed whilst running, with a strobe, once you get the engine running.
Then you can put the electronic module back, and if it doesn't fire, you may have a faulty module.

#8 ·
just stay with the 009 , i ran a vw independant garage for years . thats what i would use . took a bay into africa three times . the 009 never let me down . take a set of points and condensor but never needed it .
if i was building another van for africa it would be single port 1600cc with 009 and a brosol carb 30/31 . i,m sure none of them would let me down .
having been involved in vw engines for alot of my life you can keepyour fancy tuned up junk .
just keep it simple and enjoy the ride out .

#10 ·
actually keeping things stock is not always simple .
009 works fine . its also value for money.
i believe centrifugal advance is far better than vacum .
and would use one every time .
given the choice .
volkswagen used and tried many different ways to do things .
i try to use the better bits of what they tried .
mind they never used su carbs. i have and still have a 1200 engine here thats as smooth as can be .
i also used one on my trike . again light to use and so smooth .
but i will admit on my vans the replacement brosols worked fine .
i can only speak from years of working on volkswagens .

#11 ·
I find the SVDA distributor gives a much smoother driving experience than a 009 (providing you have a later, square bowl type carb or an aftermarket twin carb setup)

Remember the SVDA isn't a vacuum distributor, it's centrifugal PLUS vacuum. (basically a 009 with added vac) - it gives a smoother pull away and a little more mpg than the 009 alone.

You will need to move the leads round one position on the cap when changing from one to the other.

Dave.

#12 ·
Cheers dave, I have moved the leads and still no fire. Would this white cable stop it from working correctly? It was on there with the points so put it back in when changed to electronic.

#13 ·
White wire probably not required with electronic module but it won't do any harm so leave it be.

If you have sparks at the plugs with the new distributor, but it's not firing up then it's very likely the timing is way out, or you have flooded the engine trying to start it.

Battery on charge the night before----

Distributor fully seated in the case - no obvious gaps between clamp, case & distributor.
Plugs out, red wire to the pertronix disconnected.
Open throttle (Don't pump it) and spin the engine on the starter for 10 secs so you know the cylinders are clear.
Make sure plugs are clean & dry (not smelling of fuel), refit plugs.
Refit plug leads to the cap - assuming your 009 had no.1 plug lead at around the 3 o clock position, fit number 1 lead at 5 o clock, then going clockwise round the top, 4, 3, 2.
Reconnect pertronix, red lead to the +12V supply of the coil, black to the - terminal where the points used to connect. Get this wrong, even for a second and you will burn out the module.
Turn the key whilst slowly opening the throttle. Don't pump it. Constant pumping will flood the engine.
Hopefully the engine will start, or at least cough and splutter. If not then mark the distributor position with a pencil, try rotating it by about 5mm to the mark in one direction. If that doesn't work, try the same the opposite direction.
Once you get it to run, move the distributor till it will run on it's own. Once warmed up, get out your strobe and set the timing properly. (been covered on here many times before)

Hope that will get you going.

Dave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.