Suspension Lowered split - really uneven tyre wear, can anything be done? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 18-05-2017, 08:26 PM   #1
Blue72
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Lowered split - really uneven tyre wear, can anything be done?

Turning my attention to ride and handling now, and would love to know if what you see below is what I can expect from a lowered bus, or if I've got some geometry wildly out!

The bus is a Brazilian K&L beam running 175/65 R14s on stock steels. Splindles have been flipped, everything else is stock. The tyres shown are just crappy car tyres fitted when I bought the bus, and they've worn a good 5mm more on the inside shoulder than the outside.

I have some new van-rated tyres fitted up onto a straighter set of rims, but have held off fitting them as I don't want to scrub them too badly.

I rebuilt the beam 12 months ago and didn't try overly hard in the set up - I shimmed the link pins as best I could (but found it difficult to get an accurate measurement of the top-to-bottom trailing arm gap) and I set about 5mm toe in measured at the rim.

Any suggestions??

Blue72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 08:43 PM   #2
keithski122
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

My ex bosses lowered barndoor van had problem with scrubbing out tyres.I tried aligning it with old school dunlop guages but the bumper got in the way of the mirrors so I set it up using some gunson trakrite plates and it seemed to cure the problem.Never used them on anything else though.
keithski122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 09:00 PM   #3
Blue72
Wannabe Chat Slut

So, thinking tracking rather than camber ?

Old 18-05-2017, 09:24 PM   #4
cox71slammed
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue72 View Post
So, thinking tracking rather than camber ?
I would get it properly aligned camber will effect toe (tracking) camber is adjusted with shims. There is a base setting in a decent workshop manual i.e. Bentley. Adjust the camber first the set the tracking.

Phil
cox71slammed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2017, 11:19 PM   #5
Mr.Whippy
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (3)

5mm toe in sounds a bit excessive to me (not checked the book admittedly)

Also, if the rims you tracked it with are a bit wonky, the position you fitted the gauges at the time might be out.

Fit a set of straight rims, then get it professionally tracked.

Dave.

Mr.Whippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-05-2017, 09:50 AM   #6
Blue72
Wannabe Chat Slut

Thanks guys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cox71slammed View Post
There is a base setting in a decent workshop manual i.e. Bentley.
I have the settings, but had issues when shimming the link pins trying to get accurate measurements from the ends of the trailing arms

Anyone used one of these camber gauges?

http://www.gunson.co.uk/product/77066
Old 19-05-2017, 11:07 PM   #7
BrownBUG
Help! I'm trapped in here

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue72 View Post
Thanks guys.

I have the settings, but had issues when shimming the link pins trying to get accurate measurements from the ends of the trailing arms

Anyone used one of these camber gauges?

http://www.gunson.co.uk/product/77066
I've used a three way gauge which clamped to the wheel rim and gave castor, camber and KPI levels. I found the bug's camber on my n/s was way out, adjuster turned the top in towards negative and all is good.

Where are you based as Cris at Birks motor Engineers, Chinnor, nr High Wycombe can sort you out.

http://www.royalcountyautosupply.co.uk

TWON's fund raising for Brad's - https://www.justgiving.com/MrVZi-2013

Royal County Auto Supply promise to donate at least £2 (or 5% of any profit) for every purchase during 2016 from VZi members.
BrownBUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2017, 09:47 AM   #8
Blue72
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrownBUG View Post
where are you based as Cris at Birks motor Engineers, Chinnor, nr High Wycombe can sort you out.
Nowhere near unfortunately....at the top end of Worcestershire. I've yet to find anyone nearby who doesn't expect to work from the specs on their laser tracking system....which oddly enough don't go back to 1975 vehicles!
Reply Post New Thread