Volkszone Forum banner

GOT AN MOT QUESTION?

Tags
mot
305K views 260 replies 106 participants last post by  nel5on69 
#1 ·
#5 ·
used it before, very very useful, good if you're doing a project too, can use it as a structured 'tick list' to work through.

#12 ·
belts in the back are only required on may 86 onwards vehicles.

the belts will be tested if they are present, I think that's the rule.

BTW, what are the seat belt mounts bolted into? if it's through the glass and rely on a large washer for strength, then that's laughable.

they should be mounted to the chassis or roll bar that's mounted firmly.

it amazes me how poorly some belts are secured sometimes.

#15 ·
You know if people applied logical thought and a bit of physics, surely they wouldn't... Oh, no, wait, there's a lot of lazy cheapskates out there... My harnesses used to go through the bucket seats and bolt to the floor where the rear seatbelt buckles used to go in the floor at the back. I wasn't happy about that, they have now been moved to a trapeze bar / long travel shock mount that I have now fitted.

#21 ·
im building a volksrod up, standard floorpan and all running gear but as a roadster with welded doors, no top, short windscreen and a 32 ford style front end.

do i have to run wipers? and also can lap belts be used in the bug? its on a 73 floorpan? If not can harnesses be fitted and bolted to a roll cage

#22 ·
if you can see over the screen you do not need wipers, that's 100%

of you look through the glass then you 'should' have some means of keeping the view clear-

Wipers and Washers

This inspection applies to
All vehicles, except those
. with an opening windscreen, or
. with some other means of providing the driver with an adequate view.

this technically means wipers, but you could argue Rain-X, just get the guy to pass and advise.

lap belts are a no-no. pre '81 you need a minimum of a belt that holds the upper part of the body

laps are better than nothing in a pre 65 though.

harness can be fitted too a roll bar, but they must have E marks on them, some sold on ebay do not have the mark (been caught there!)

the MOT says they must have a BS mark, but that is 15 years out of date. I have it in writing that they will accept an E mark though.

#24 ·
sorry for all the questions :)

If im building a volksrod but as say an open top or pick up style car then does it have to be SVA tested or can it be put through a standard MOT.?

from reading on a few sites it seams that if i keep the standard floorpan, i,e main spine,suspension and engine and braking components then i can get it MOT tested?

thanks Will

#29 ·
i should know this, but does a 59 single cab, need washers for MOT? id rather not fit them you see!!!

its got no seat belts, and red rear lenses, both should pass regardless?

cheers mate!
from the manual-

Wipers and Washers

This inspection applies to
All vehicles, except those
. with an opening windscreen, or
. with some other means of providing the driver with an adequate view. Rain-X maybe (that's my answer)

if you have safaris you are fine.

seatbelts are not required until '65, red lenses are the same.

#35 ·
building a project at the mo and i was wondering about putting heat shrink tubing over the metal brake lines, just to make them colour coded

do you think this could cause me problems at MOT or any problems in general running

Any help greatfully received

Steve

#37 ·
Hi again, cheers for that

what do you think about rev counters mounted on the buggy bonnets

i was not going to put it my direct line of vision but just behind the washer jets

Do you think this would cause me problems, protruding item?

Thanks for your help

Steve

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.