Volkszone Forum banner

DICK LANDY SUPERCHARGERS on a type1 engine!

9K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  uselescrapytwit 
#1 ·
does anyone know about these kits, and what there like on a type 1?

i dont know if anyone remembers but volksworld featured a green beetle hotrod in japan (I think) a couple of years ago and it had one of these kits hangin out the back, lookin feckin awesome!

any help on what there like (from people with experience of superchargers on a vw), or how too find one would be great....

#4 ·
revilobeetle said:

i dont know if anyone remembers but volksworld featured a green beetle hotrod in japan (I think) a couple of years ago and it had one of these kits hangin out the back, lookin feckin awesome!

any help on what there like (from people with experience of superchargers on a vw), or how too find one would be great....
Email me and i'll send you the info from DLI about the VW blower kit. ;) The best way to find one is buy one direct from DLI. :D They are not good at answering emails though so i would suggest phoning them if you want to order one.

#5 ·
revilobeetle said:

When i worked at Microgiant many moons ago my boss fitted one to Dave Forders engine which we'd just built, this was in his rusty blue bug 1302 i think ( long before his mint white one which got burnt out :( ).

Use to go like stink :D

#6 ·
I bought Dave Forders 1776 motor off him when he built his 1303 ,i can honestly say it is the best money i have every spent on a v dub ,they sound absolutely mental
Ran my motor on avgas,unleaded mix for a while and had it dyno,d at 178bhp ,it made 145 bhp at about 2000rpm so much power low down first gear never got used
Sold the motor when i split up with my ex girlfriend and kids, god i really miss that engine :D sold it to Mel Hubbard to put in his buggy
Was told by somebody in the know that Dick Landy gets his blowers made in batches of ten so will take your money and if your unfortunate enough to be the first one to order you can wait for ages for the blower to arrive

#7 ·
dubmeister said:
I bought Dave Forders 1776 motor off him when he built his 1303 ,i can honestly say it is the best money i have every spent on a v dub ,they sound absolutely mental
Ran my motor on avgas,unleaded mix for a while and had it dyno,d at 178bhp ,it made 145 bhp at about 2000rpm so much power low down first gear never got used
Sold the motor when i split up with my ex girlfriend and kids, god i really miss that engine :D sold it to Mel Hubbard to put in his buggy
Was told by somebody in the know that Dick Landy gets his blowers made in batches of ten so will take your money and if your unfortunate enough to be the first one to order you can wait for ages for the blower to arrive
As far as i know, the one that used to be in Mel's buggy is now in a Barndoor camper. :eek:

#8 ·
awesome! i want one BAD! what sort of power increase can i expect? and can it be used on a stock 1600 twin port? or should i really have a balanced bottom end, uprated cam and ported heads etc?

i love superchargers they sound great. i drove a cooper S WORKS 210bhp conversion, and the sound from the supercharger is awesome.

can they be fitted on a splitty without hitting the top of the engine area??

#9 ·
dubmeister said:
what spec did the 1776 have to get that sort of power? and do you know what it would run on normal unleaded fuel?? was it reliable? could it be used as a daily driver in a lesser state of tune (ie on a 1600-1641)? or is that a stupid idea?? :lol:

#10 ·
revilobeetle said:
what spec did the 1776 have to get that sort of power? and do you know what it would run on normal unleaded fuel?? was it reliable? could it be used as a daily driver in a lesser state of tune (ie on a 1600-1641)? or is that a stupid idea?? :lol:
Dave Forders blue bug was a daily i'm positive and ran no problem, if you want to know engine spec you could always call Tony at Microgiant i'm sure he'd remember

#11 ·
Hi REV.
Im just putting together a 2110cc motor using a D.L.i kit its for a drag car so it should be instantly quick of the mark , it'll be nice to see another one, I too went out in Dave Forders old blue 1303 it was great ,at that time it was around the 160 bhp mark. something funny when you see the old git (tony) giving it what for? .
They do stand tall so it may hit the floor above, it depends what type of carb you run, this one uses a holley 4 barrel , dave had PACE fit a charge cooler in the manifold under the charger havent tested it yet? but it should help cool things, i heard that the old 1776 motor is still going strong , good old microgiant.
Good luck with it.
Dan.

#12 ·
Stroke It said:
Hi REV.
Im just putting together a 2110cc motor using a D.L.i kit its for a drag car so it should be instantly quick of the mark , it'll be nice to see another one, I too went out in Dave Forders old blue 1303 it was great ,at that time it was around the 160 bhp mark. something funny when you see the old git (tony) giving it what for? .
They do stand tall so it may hit the floor above, it depends what type of carb you run, this one uses a holley 4 barrel , dave had PACE fit a charge cooler in the manifold under the charger havent tested it yet? but it should help cool things, i heard that the old 1776 motor is still going strong , good old microgiant.
Good luck with it.
Dan.
just out of interest did you regulaly go to Microgiant, just wondedered if i knew you? i left there in about 98 :)

#13 ·
this is mine (pic from jmr website) which was bought shortly after v/world ran the feature on this kit...

waited almost 12 months for delivery so be warned...

although they look the shit, and sound like nothing else, you'd be better off spending your money on a turbo...

cheers

rich

#15 ·
turbo thomas said:
this is mine (pic from jmr website) which was bought shortly after v/world ran the feature on this kit...

waited almost 12 months for delivery so be warned...

although they look the shit, and sound like nothing else, you'd be better off spending your money on a turbo...

cheers

rich
fuk me that looks the bollocks! yeah im sure a turbo might be better, but superchargers are a rare sight and abit different, and the noise and look alone would sway me enough to get one.

when did volksworld run the feature on this kit??? i gotta get the back issue!!

are you running the engine now? what do you think of it? what size engine are you running it on?

#16 ·
Stroke It said:
Hi REV.
Good luck with it.
Dan.
yeah i may have to get another beetle too put it in, or i could put it in my beach buggy (It would look great in the rear view mirror standing proud!! :D ) may even pop a wheelie with that low down grunt!

have you got any pics of your dick landy'd motor? could you post them up id love too see it!

#19 ·
BenSSP said:
Hello Stu, long time no see :D

Saw Dolphin a while back, he's shifting cars around the country at the moment.

Have you still got the bug you were flogging?
:D
Hello mate, couldn't bear to part with it it in the end so i've still got it, its off the road at the minute as i need to do a bit of welding to the o/s.

Probably won't happen for a bit as just about to move with the misses and daughter to Woodham, slowly winning round the little un to the way of the VW, she doesn't refer anymore to it as 'that old car in the garage' :rolleyes: :D

What you driving now? use to love your bug :cool:

#20 ·

Is this the only one - isn't this the thrid time of asking for pics of a DL s/charger install?

Am I the only one thinging this looks awful?

I would mount the s/charger to the left of the alternator and get rid on the distributor, nice and compact. Sit it on a collector box a little bigger than its outlet and put the blowoff valve in there , then two big tubes comming left and right splitting for the inlet ports.

#21 ·
metric_thumbs said:

Is this the only one - isn't this the thrid time of asking for pics of a DL s/charger install?

Am I the only one thinging this looks awful?

I would mount the s/charger to the left of the alternator and get rid on the distributor, nice and compact. Sit it on a collector box a little bigger than its outlet and put the blowoff valve in there , then two big tubes comming left and right splitting for the inlet ports.
mine was the first in the country...

i have to disagree about its looks, they do look great, even better in the car. but theyre an 'old' design 'charger, if looks wernt important and you wanted a supercharger you would certainly be better off fabbing a modern unit onto the motor as moggy (for instance) did...

my let downs were the performance........ it wasnt enough!!!

as ive said before, if its just about the performance you would definatley be better going down the turbo route...

cheers

rich

#23 ·
61 stu said:
Hello mate, couldn't bear to part with it it in the end so i've still got it, its off the road at the minute as i need to do a bit of welding to the o/s.

Probably won't happen for a bit as just about to move with the misses and daughter to Woodham, slowly winning round the little un to the way of the VW, she doesn't refer anymore to it as 'that old car in the garage' :rolleyes: :D

What you driving now? use to love your bug :cool:
Still got the same bug with andys old 1776 in it........and now the exhaust too :D

and have now started to build this

:D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.