Volkszone Forum banner

slamwerks narrowed beam issue!

Suspension 
8K views 46 replies 22 participants last post by  chontay 
#1 ·
just fitted my new slamwerks narrow beam,steering box on,track rods on,but no where to mount the other side of steering damper!!!!:(

Any ideas? or have i got weld a bracket on??
The car in question is a 1963 bug!:)

#8 ·
ok, ive just seen the billet one you described from ssp,it looks like it clamps on to the beam, but my only issues is how to stop it sliding when clamped??i can make one at work instead of buying a bracket. its just the point that a company is selling a piece of kit that is incomplete!!!!!

#9 ·
To be honest mate I'm not sure how they work but I'm getting one soon for my 8" narrowed beam because I'm having the bracket removed, beams too narrow for the damper where the bracket is currently so I need an adjustable bracket and thought this would be perfect.

I am only guessing but I figure that after they clamp on the beam there must be some sort of tightening device, maybe an allun nut, that is used to secure it in place. I've seen them used a lot in the States on shockless narrowed beams and they seemed to act as good substitute for the welded bracket.

#12 ·
I had the same. Luckily I rang them to confirm that they didn't fit mounts on, just before they sent it out! I had to wait another week, but the thought of having to fit a mount to a new powdercoated beam just wasn't going to happen.

They were very happy to weld on the mount free of charge.

I just think they ought to point out this when you order one o their beams. It would save alot of hassle.

#13 ·
I too was not happy that mine also came with out one , And not even painted , the one at last year volkworld show was !!

, what was more or a worry is that is does not have any grease nipples and is now stuck on one side ,I have asked them about this and they advised they are sending me a kit for "me" to tap four nipples in the beam , that was last week and still not had the kit , not happy to say the least and at around £450 with arms and cutdown leaves i as not a happy camper

#15 ·
You only need a piece of 1.2mm or so sheetmetal, a M8 flange nut, a drillbit and literally like 30 seconds with a welder. It would probably take less time to fit the damper bracket then it did to post this.

While I am not exactly defending whoever made that beam (no idea who they even are, I don't use off-the-shelf 'tuning' parts if I can help it), it is reasonably trivial. Drilling 4 holes and tapping them, or welding on a bracket, is just part of the fun of making a car do something that it's not designed to do.

Maybe it would seem that that's kind of an unfair remark tho, since you might be a person who just wants to buy something and for it to work right out of the box, and not used to constantly having your hands dirty, unlike me who is used to pretty much hand-building everything, in which case I guess their service kinda failed you. I can't see why the hell they didn't fit greaser holes, unless it was just unfinished, but the steering damper thing kinda makes sense, it is probably because a lot of their customers drive cars that handle so badly (as you know people think it's 'cool' to lower and narrow as much as they can), that having a steering damper won't do shit anyway. It's common with hotrods and drag cars to not have steering dampers, or shocks, because they don't make no difference. And as you know, a lot of folks with mildly modified cars like to think their cars are drag cars or something, so maybe these days its 'cool' to have a car that handles like shit? So maybe they just don't have brackets because most people don't even notice or care?

#16 ·
The main point of this thread was to see if SLAMWERKS had made a mistake by not welding a bracket on??? It seems that the choice is down to the individual. Now the remark of not getting my hands dirty is far from the truth and a little harsh! If people choice to buy a product instead of building one, it is no reflection on there abilities or how dirty they get! Yes the bracket has only taken 10minutes to make tonight at work and will be welded in tomorrow.

Cheers everyone for the info:)

#17 ·
Well, sorry man, I just assumed that since you spent that money on a off-the-shelf narrowed beam, and then complained that it don't have a damper bracket, you didn't want to do stuff yourself, or couldn't, for one reason or another. It wasn't supposed to be a negative comment, I understand that some people just want to buy something and not have to mess with it.

Like I said, I would bet they don't ship them all with brackets because a lot of people with narrowed beams don't run dampers.

#18 ·
Im a precision machinist and cnc programmer by trade,but not a certifide welder,and as the beam is a main structure i didnt want to risk doing it myself,although proberly would of been ok. Trust me it hurt like hell spending 300 sheets on £40 worth of steel! then to rub salt in the wound it had no bracket! Anyway no worrys feller!

If you run no steering damper wont it be a nightmare?

#19 ·
Having a narrowed beam has NO effect on the placement or function of a steering damper, my personal opinion is all beetles should have a damper fitted, try 'a' framing one without, they are all over the place.
So perhaps slamworks should fit all beams with damper brackets (cost minimal) and then if you dont want one just cut it off.

#22 ·
guys, been reading your thread, as i was ordering a narrowed beam from slamwerks. Thought i would give them the benifit of the doubt as some people told me they are good. First thing was ordering the right part, as i already had narrowed leaves. Every time i phoned only one person could help me, and that they would phone me back. About five phone calls later, when they hadnt phoned me back i finally got hold of him.
I was told to measure my leaves and give them the measurement, and they would make a beam to fit. Cool :D . Then after reading these threads i questioned them on what i needed and they supplied. I also ordered shocks to. Money came out and i was told two week delivery, happy days.Bug jam here i come ;)
Two weeks later i decided to strip my bug ready. While stripping i phoned to ask a question and asked if beam had been sent, to which i was told that they had been trying to get hold of me with phone calls and voicemails, which i never recieved, yes they had right number aswell. They hadnt even started make it, and they wanted me to send them my leaves :( . Why? Because my measurements didnt tally up. So i remeasured leaves and it was exactly as i told them, but they still wanted me to sund them:confused:
I sent them the same day and they promised to make them the day they got the leaves and send them straight back.Fair enough.
They recieved them on tuesday, by friday they still hadnt started. they said they will start them on monday and i would recieve by wednesday. And that they would come with bushes, shocks and steering damper clamp already made up, for the inconvenience. Cool.
Well, its wednesday and i wasnt holding my breath. But to my suprise its turned up:D Hold on:( opened it up. NO SHOCKS, which i have paid for, NO BUSHES, NO STEERING DAMPER CLAMP AND OBVIOUSLY NOT MADE UP:(:(:(.
I know im ranting but what the fuck? The product may be good, but the service is absolute pants. I dont thing any one there talks to each other. I give them the benifit of the doubt, but now im pissed off.
Oh, i have got grease nipples though;)
Hopefully i will get to bug jam in my bug, but no thanks to these guys.

#24 ·
That is absolutely fucking disgraceful. I'm sorry 'bout the language but why don't you send the poxy thing back? It amazes me how businesses operating like that survive quite frankly.

Send it back and demand your money back.
Hope this works out for you in the end.
Shockingly poor service.

#23 ·
blimey I hope they get to read all this and can then up their customer service . I have never used this company and to be honest none of this will help their business have you tried calling the MD and talking to him only?

#25 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. To be honest, i didnt know where else i could get a narroowed beam from, and they seemed to be well known and well advertised. It also got to a point where my bug is up on jacks and i want to get to bug jam, as i already have tickets and i thought it couldnt get any worse:confused: How wrong could i be?
I will phone them first thing. And if they promise to rectify the problems and get the parts to me special delivery by friday then i will feel alot better, but it shouldnt happen in the first place. Its what they supposedly specaialize in. Its not as if they supply all sorts of parts:confused: . Still gotta laugh eh..... or i might cry:lol:
Will let you know how i get on.

#28 ·
Driving home today I thought how my bug was driving smoothly like butter down a hot cooker plate, I don't gave a dampener on my 59 I think they came in in 1960.
But I believe it should be an option or as standard depending what year your car is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.