Volkszone Forum banner

Spaghetti and glowing lights

Electrics 
885 views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  donwaldo 
#1 ·
Was in the garage untangling some of the electrical spaghetti behind my dash, I then started my bug to see if everything was still working but noticed the gen/gin light was glowing slightly when the engine is reving above about 1100rpm. turn on ignition, it shines bright, at tickover it appeares to be out but rev it and the light glows slightly. The car is fitted with an ammeter which appears to show it charging above approx 1500rpm but the light still glows !
Car has a dynamo and regulator, switching on headlights etc. makes no difference to the glowing light.
Is this normal? is the battery charging? Or am I gonna break down in the middle of the night somewhere? ;-)

#4 ·
The glowing light is caused by a flow of current through it. As there should be equal voltage on ether side of the lamp then no current flows. In your case you have a high resistance in the wiring which is causing a volt drop on one side of the lamp thus current flows. You need to follow the wire from your regulator to the lamp and then from the lamp yo the ignition source. At each connection you need to clean it up and remove any possible corrosion. Just looking and assuming it looks all right is no good. You are trying to remove 40+ years of corrosion, there are no short cuts.

#5 ·
Ah, Mr Clarkson thank you ! Now I understand ! Since my wireing is home made ( not by me ;-) ) it's probably not 40 years old .. though the bug has had its 59th birthday !
I'll clean all the connections as you suggest and see if that helps, but I now feel happy to night cruise the dark lanes of Kent in the sure and certain knowledge that I won't brake down ( from a flat battery anyway ! )

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.