Volkszone Forum banner

GT Beetle/ 1300s Discussion

5K views 23 replies 9 participants last post by  Benny Blonco 
#1 ·
Hi Migs here from the Philippines (I'm not a spammer ;) )

I wish to know everything to know about 1300s/ GT Beetle

Unlike in Europe and the US, there are only a handful of GT's that reached the Philippine shore. Our dilemma like in any other place is there are alot of Frankenstein Bugs around which could be masked as a GT/ 1300s.. There are brochures around but I've read that there was an error in the brochure printing making the 1300s synonymous to super beetles...

How can you determine a TRUE GT Beetle?

Is it true that there is a European version (with swing axle) and a US version (with IRS)? Of the 2,500 units made, how may are US and how many are European?

For GT owners, what unique troubles have you encountered with your bug that other bug owners have not encountered?

#4 · (Edited)
Hi migsmagic,

The GT Beetle was a UK/Ireland-only special edition, based on the swing-axle European 1300S model, celebrating 300,000 Beetles having been imported. They arrived wearing "VW 1300S" badges which were meant to be replaced with the "GT Beetle" badge by dealers, however some buyers opted to keep the 1300S badge because having "GT" on your engine lid meant a higher insurance premium. The confusion with the IRS bugs probably stems from the early Haynes manual for the model, which covered supers and the GT, but only detailed the double-jointed driveshaft rear suspension (later editions included info for swing-axle suspension as well).

As far as unique "GT Beetle" troubles go, try finding the correct material to reupholster the seats…!

Michael

Edit: See the site Justin posted above - watching Bond on TV so I typed too slowly!

#9 ·
Just asking a question here as this interests me; in what ways did the UK/Ireland GT differ from the European 1300S?
I'm guessing the European 1300S had the same engine/gearbox/brakes just didn't have the bolt-on goodies eg gearshift/upholstery etc and came in 'normal' paint colours?
Anyone know for sure?

;)

#22 ·
I also have some questions, i have a 1973 non super bug, the booklet is original out of Hong Kong which shows it as a 1300s. It has the 1600 dual port engine (AS) but doesnt have front disk brakes. It seems to have alot of the superbug bits & pieces but still has the flat windscreen & normal dash. Anyone know anything about Hongkong assembled beetles? Its in Australia now

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.