Volkszone Forum banner

Immobilizer Chip: Why Not Work?!

General 
2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  billybug 
#1 ·
Hi All,
Got a 1997 mkIII Golf Wagon that came out of Japan and is now driven in the Caribbean. (Car is right-hand drive.)

When I went to cut duplicate keys locally, I learned that the euro (your) version of this car has the immobilizer. Cool feature I want to keep. But I NEED more than one key as we have hurricanes and other threats where having a few extra keys is paramount.

I had extra keys cut but the chips in them don't work with the car. Thought, perhaps, they were the wrong chip. (Car starts for a second with them and then stalls.) Ordered the id33 chips from Germany but still no go. Held them near the copied keys -- still with the non-working chips that came with them still inside -- and the car wouldn't work :(

1. If I hold the wrong chip AND the right chip near the ignition when I put the key into it, will the car still start? (Trying to rule out false positives, etc.)

2. Is the id33 chip the right chip for a 1997 Euro Golf mkIII?

3. Does the chip need to be programmed in any way? (I do have the chip that came with the car's only key and it does work fine with the immob system.)

Really appreciate the help! VW USA can't comment on the issue because it's a euro car. The North American VW forums can't help because they never got mkIII cars with the immobilizer. My contact in Japan that sold me the car would love to help but we've got a language issue blocking progress despite the best of intentions. Hoping that my fellow enthusiasts across the Pond can help me understand what's wrong and how a solution can be best achieved.

Hurricane season is nearly here and I need to have additional chips that work with the car's immob system.

Thank you very much for any help you can provide :)

PS - I'm with the car for the next 2 weeks and can easily pull numbers, take pics, etc. to help cast insight on this mystery...

See less See more
#4 ·
Hi Wallabean! Is the geko the only type of computer that can do the programming? Or are there other machines that can do it as well?

Problem being in the Caribbean is that there's no VW dealer on the island. And the US dealers won't touch the keys since the car was originally sold abroad.

Thanks for the assist!

#9 ·
Alternatively remove the chip from the key and tape it up under the dash near the ignition barrel, ok it renders the immobiliser useless as a security device as it will always work but it means any of your keys will work :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.