Volkszone Forum banner

64ALC ABK524A MAS295 VIW1958 - 1958 Beetle

11K views 33 replies 5 participants last post by  FlexMyFoil 58' 
#1 · (Edited)
Trying to track down as much history as possible on this 1958 Beetle, now under the reg VIW1958 (certificate issued 19/04/2004).

So far I have got..

The birth certificate direct from Germany:

M Codes:
M 134 - Upholstery, Ice Blue or Upholstery, Water Blue/Steel Grey
M 353 - Unknown?

Little info supplied by VOSA 28/03/2009:

Approx first date of first use: 30/12/1960

BIG GAP IN HISTORY

MOT test @ Cobbs Motor Engineers 11/03/2006
Aldershot, Hampshire

MOT test @ Motor-Vation 10/03/2007
Rugby, Warwickshire - MrHorse

MOT test @ Welcombe Garage 15/03/2008
Stratford Upon Avon, Warwickshire

MOT test @ Old Forge Garage 02/03/2009
Upper Belvedere, Kent - paul_vw

MOT test @ Park Crescent Garage 30/04/2010
Worthing, West Sussex - julian911

SORN 15/05/2011 - FlexMyFoil 58'

MOT test @ Park Crescent Garage 01/09/2011
Worthing, West Sussex - FlexMyFoil 58'

..present day :)

Can anyone help with any history, knowledge, photo's, press, previous owners MrHorse, pod2, paul_vw, julian911 to name a few.. would be very interested :D

I have been told the car had sat 3-5 years before pod2 brought it in a really bad way! and restored it.. I have no knowledge of dates/years.. then was sold on to dogznutz/Yogi but no further update from here..

Previously known as Reggie, His right honourable Reginald Dewesbury :lol:

That's all the info I can dig up, please help guys :hug:

Darren

See less See more
#2 ·
How good are the DVLA with history on classic cars? Sent away I nice essay with a few requests, original reg from import, any colour changes, previous owners and locations etc.. Await to hear back :)

Anyone know anymore on this bug? Not brought the new VolksWorld mag yet but have been told it's in there some where? JC?

Thanks

Darren

#3 ·
Interesting!

Looking at the DVLA info it appears that you your car was originally sold in Singapore, then imported into the UK in May 1960!

M353 is probably relating to Singapore specifications. Singapore specification was pretty much identical to UK cars, except they came with US-style bumpers as standard.

ABK524A is a DVLA re-issue dating from the 1980's, so the original registration number would have likely been sold off years ago.

Fill out a V888 and send it to the DVLA along with a fiver and they'll send you a full history printout which should tell you a bit more about the cars history - including the original British registration number.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/DG_10016794

If you find the original Singaporean registration number I may even have a way to trace it back there :)

#12 · (Edited)
If you find the original Singaporean registration number I may even have a way to trace it back there :)
Little update on this car :D

Previous registration marks:

VIW 1958 - current
MAS295
ABK524A
64 ALC

I'm the 13th keeper :eek:

13 - Darren, Worthing - VIW 1958 - Beige
12 - Philip, Worthing - VIW 1958 - Beige
11 - Julian, West Byfleet - VIW 1958 - Beige
10 - Paul, Gillingham - VIW 1958 - Beige
9 - Michael, Stratford
8 - Carl, Rugby - VIW 1958 - Beige
7 - David, Yateley - MAS 295 to VIW 1958 - Beige
6 - Brian, Bracknell - ABK524A to MAS 295 - Beige
5 - Aaron, Bracknell - ABK524A - Blue
4 - Anthony, Bracknell - ABK524A - Blue
3 - Timothy, Southampton - ABK524A - Blue
2 - Kimberley, Southampton - ABK524A - Blue
1 - Barbara, Portsmouth - 64 ALC to ABK 524A - Green

Former keepers: None since December 1977

Nice little update, plenty of paperwork to read, even the import documents, but nothing clear enough to understand, crappy photo copies :lol:

Thoughts?

#4 ·
Thanks for the reply Howard

M353, interesting, not too keen the US spec bumpers so will ride with the blades for now. Any links to the UK spec, if the same?

ABK524A, so not the original plate, won't be after that then!

I've done the V888 and sent of a fiver to the DVLA, cheeky buggers sent it back saying please fill out the form correctly and not "please see attached page" :lol: so re-sent it back filled out and with the attachment! Await reply.

Ideally I want the original from birth number plate on the car, how hard is this to do? much leg work/cost involved?

Thanks again,

Darren

#5 ·
Are you trying to put it back on the original UK plate?

Unfortunately, if it has been sold off (which is likely given that it was on an A-plate), the only way to get it back is to find the current owner and buy it back.. If it hadn't been sold (or is out of use) then you'll be able to get it back on a non-transferable basis.

Finding the original Singapore number is sadly very unlikely, although you might be lucky and find the DVLA stamped it on the British logbook (RF60) when it was imported :D

Whatever you find, post it on here and I can look them up :cool:

The DVLA are a bit fussy about what you send in! They asked me for a utility bill as proof.

A Mango Green car would have had a matching Mango Green interior:

#14 ·
Good work! :cool:

This car seems to have 5 different registration number in its life if you include the original Singaporean one :lol:

Sadly 64ALC is now attached to a Mercedes:

Vehicle Details for registration number 64ALC
Make: MERCEDES
Year of manufacture: 2003
Model: CLK 320 ELEGANCE AUTO
Engine size(CC): 3199

The only way to get it back would be to somehow track down the owner and buy it back.. which won't be cheap :(

Is there any way of examining the import documents to find the original Singaporean reg? It would be in the format of Sx1234 (SH rings a bell for 1958)

ABK524A is quite typical of a replacement (no value) plate that was given to the car after 64ALC was transferred off. I'm guessing this was sometime between '84-1991? This was before the "age related" scheme was set up in 1991 but after the 1984 DVLA cut-off.

MAS295 is an issue from around 10 years ago (ish). as the A-plate wasn't "age related" the DVLA will allow a change to a plate that at least looks correct (dateless). It will be non-transferrable.

VIW1958 is an Irish registration, but I don't have records of when it was issued. This would have been purchased and transferred over your car.

If you sold VIW1958, your car would return to MAS295.

#18 ·
Ahh! Sadly the DVLA have done their usual trick of not scanning in the list of owners on the other side! Barbara would have been the current keeper at the time of DVLA computerisation.

What does it say on the left hand page?

I can make out "date of manufacture" and what looks to be "imported from Malaya"

This is where it gets interesting yet again - the car may have made it over to Malaya before coming over to the UK..:lol:

It's a bit confusing, as it didn't become modern-day Malaysia until Malaya, Sabah, Sarawak and Singapore broke from the commonwealth and merged in 1963.. however, Singapore broke away and gained its own independence in 1965!

I guess as it arrived in the UK in 1960, then indeed I think your car may have lived in Malaya for a while - so that's one more mystery number plate to add to the list :lol:

OR.. it could just be that a resident of Johor Baharu crossed over the bridge to Singapore to purchase their new Volkswagen.. and was originally registered in Malaya all along..

Sadly we'll never know unless you can find out what the original number plate was..

But a fascinating history all the same :D

#19 ·
Any info on JC's Bug spotted in Volksworld April 2012 - (Blue, bottom of page 84)

"JC's Bug was in a Back to '89 display in 2004. It's now beige. Mark Body's drag bug has lost its whale tail and was last seen on the quarter mile."

Now keeping an eye out for a copy of Volksworld Nov 1989 ;)

#26 ·
This bug was sat on a drive way in bracknell for about 10 years, i remember seeing it weekly, the owner was a student who was away, me and a mate when round to try buy it. we knew it was a ex volksworld car. it was still blue at the time

A mate brian managed to buy the car, buy which time it was in shit state and got it back on the road, he rattle can painted it the sandy colour.

He then sold it to yogi , who in turn owned it for a few years and sold it on.

#31 ·
I still have some spare cans of paint .and do have a history of pictures of when i strip and rebuilt this car it was in a right state ,there in the loft i must dig them out brian
Brian, I could really do with some info on the paint, you say you have some spare? I will happily cover the postage if you could send me the paint?

Interested in seeing the photo's too, I can scan and upload to this thread.

Darren

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.