Volkszone Forum banner

Best paint for spraying at home?

6K views 7 replies 8 participants last post by  millzeee 
#1 ·
I've decided I'm going to paint my Sandrail frame myself.

I've ruled out powder coating so paint's the way to go....

I've got a compressor and spray gun, so I'm OK there. The question is:

There's so little of it to paint (just the tubular frame) that it might be easier with rattle cans.

If I was to go the whole hog and paint it all myself, I fancy a kind of pearlescent colour, obviously with clear lacquer over it.

Can it be done at home, in the garage, without an oven or very expensive breathing kit?

And where to buy the paint from?

#2 ·
for home spraying cellulose or acrylic are easier and safer you just need basic face mask, it dries quickly to limit dust and fly ingress.enamel realy needs an oven to help it dry before the flies move in. a litre or so of colour and a couple of litres of laqeur with 5 litres of thinners should do it and it would work out cheaper than cans. look in a local directory for paint suppliers or visit a motor spares supplier, halfords also sell paint.
our local paint firm will only sell 2 pack to licenced firms and although it is sprayable at home long term it is no good for you.

#3 ·
I've just finished painting my tinware (spraying) and the gearbox/tubes/backplates (brushing) with POR 15.
I really can't tell the difference between them. Great finish. Highly chip resistant. I've also gone for the whole POR programme and used 'Metal Ready' which you spray on and let 'posphate' for 20 minutes. Wash off and paint/spray POR on. 2 coats needed to give a real deep black finish.
Is it good in the long term - I don't know. Time will tell. But I'm impressed. It stains your skin for days; it foats in the air and sticks to other things (my wifes new car) when sprayed, and costs a lot. But a little paint goes a long way, looks great, and 'feels' better than any paint I've used - a bit like the coach paint you used to be able to get.
Hope this is useful for you.

Cheers.

#5 ·
dont under estimate the amounto of paint you will use, painting tubes is a pain in the ass, as most of the paint you fire out will miss the tube and you end up getting about 20% transfer ,

whit the proper safety precautions you can paint 2 pack at home. cellulose would be less harmful but not as durable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.