Best paint for spraying at home? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 11-08-2005, 07:25 PM   #1
veedweeb
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (5)

Default Best paint for spraying at home?

I've decided I'm going to paint my Sandrail frame myself.

I've ruled out powder coating so paint's the way to go....

I've got a compressor and spray gun, so I'm OK there. The question is:

There's so little of it to paint (just the tubular frame) that it might be easier with rattle cans.

If I was to go the whole hog and paint it all myself, I fancy a kind of pearlescent colour, obviously with clear lacquer over it.

Can it be done at home, in the garage, without an oven or very expensive breathing kit?

And where to buy the paint from?
veedweeb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 07:50 PM   #2
kkkango
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

for home spraying cellulose or acrylic are easier and safer you just need basic face mask, it dries quickly to limit dust and fly ingress.enamel realy needs an oven to help it dry before the flies move in. a litre or so of colour and a couple of litres of laqeur with 5 litres of thinners should do it and it would work out cheaper than cans. look in a local directory for paint suppliers or visit a motor spares supplier, halfords also sell paint.
our local paint firm will only sell 2 pack to licenced firms and although it is sprayable at home long term it is no good for you.
kkkango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:28 PM   #3
dubalong
Chat Virgin

Trading feedback: (0)

I've just finished painting my tinware (spraying) and the gearbox/tubes/backplates (brushing) with POR 15.
I really can't tell the difference between them. Great finish. Highly chip resistant. I've also gone for the whole POR programme and used 'Metal Ready' which you spray on and let 'posphate' for 20 minutes. Wash off and paint/spray POR on. 2 coats needed to give a real deep black finish.
Is it good in the long term - I don't know. Time will tell. But I'm impressed. It stains your skin for days; it foats in the air and sticks to other things (my wifes new car) when sprayed, and costs a lot. But a little paint goes a long way, looks great, and 'feels' better than any paint I've used - a bit like the coach paint you used to be able to get.
Hope this is useful for you.

Cheers.
dubalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 10:45 PM   #4
15window
Wannabe Chat Slut

POR15 is great stuff, just be aware that its sensitive to sun light (UV), great for under chassis etc, but if in the open its best to topcoat eith another paint.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:39 AM   #5
1303mark
Seasoned Chat Slut

dont under estimate the amounto of paint you will use, painting tubes is a pain in the ass, as most of the paint you fire out will miss the tube and you end up getting about 20% transfer ,

whit the proper safety precautions you can paint 2 pack at home. cellulose would be less harmful but not as durable.
1303mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2005, 09:29 AM   #6
ChrisRoberts
Wannabe Chat Slut

Autopaint do a non-isocyanite (the nasty cyanide bit!) 2pack system which is ok for home use.

It uses a polyester base coat (which sprays really nicely IMHO!) & a non-isocyanite lacquer.

I've only used it once, but I deffinately prefer it to cellulose
Old 12-08-2005, 09:34 PM   #7
West Stabbo Customs
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (1)

TBH i'd powdercoat it like 1303 mark said most of your paint will end up anywhere but on the frame. There are hundreds of powdercoat colours availabe
West Stabbo Customs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-08-2005, 02:48 PM   #8
millzeee
Chat Virgin

i sprayed my porsche with an acrylic base coat and Autopaint non-isocyanite top coat.

Sprays real nice and won't kill you
millzeee is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread