DICK LANDY SUPERCHARGERS on a type1 engine! - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 16-02-2007, 12:40 AM   #1
revilobeetle
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

Default DICK LANDY SUPERCHARGERS on a type1 engine!

does anyone know about these kits, and what there like on a type 1?

i dont know if anyone remembers but volksworld featured a green beetle hotrod in japan (I think) a couple of years ago and it had one of these kits hangin out the back, lookin feckin awesome!

any help on what there like (from people with experience of superchargers on a vw), or how too find one would be great....
revilobeetle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 01:30 AM   #2
revilobeetle
Seasoned Chat Slut

ttt
Old 16-02-2007, 01:52 AM   #3
type3
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (10)

Your best bet might be to sign up for the 'Blown Bugs' yahoo group. The guys on there have got experience of blown flat fours.

cheers,
type3
type3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 02:18 AM   #4
Richie Brown
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by revilobeetle

i dont know if anyone remembers but volksworld featured a green beetle hotrod in japan (I think) a couple of years ago and it had one of these kits hangin out the back, lookin feckin awesome!

any help on what there like (from people with experience of superchargers on a vw), or how too find one would be great....

Email me and i'll send you the info from DLI about the VW blower kit. The best way to find one is buy one direct from DLI. They are not good at answering emails though so i would suggest phoning them if you want to order one.

Replace the <dot> with . and <at> with @
Richie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 07:44 AM   #5
61 stu
I'm not an addict... honest!

Quote:

When i worked at Microgiant many moons ago my boss fitted one to Dave Forders engine which we'd just built, this was in his rusty blue bug 1302 i think ( long before his mint white one which got burnt out ).

Use to go like stink
61 stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 12:58 PM   #6
dubmeister
Seasoned Chat Slut

I bought Dave Forders 1776 motor off him when he built his 1303 ,i can honestly say it is the best money i have every spent on a v dub ,they sound absolutely mental
Ran my motor on avgas,unleaded mix for a while and had it dyno,d at 178bhp ,it made 145 bhp at about 2000rpm so much power low down first gear never got used
Sold the motor when i split up with my ex girlfriend and kids, god i really miss that engine sold it to Mel Hubbard to put in his buggy
Was told by somebody in the know that Dick Landy gets his blowers made in batches of ten so will take your money and if your unfortunate enough to be the first one to order you can wait for ages for the blower to arrive
dubmeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2007, 05:20 PM   #7
Richie Brown
I really must get out more

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmeister
I bought Dave Forders 1776 motor off him when he built his 1303 ,i can honestly say it is the best money i have every spent on a v dub ,they sound absolutely mental
Ran my motor on avgas,unleaded mix for a while and had it dyno,d at 178bhp ,it made 145 bhp at about 2000rpm so much power low down first gear never got used
Sold the motor when i split up with my ex girlfriend and kids, god i really miss that engine sold it to Mel Hubbard to put in his buggy
Was told by somebody in the know that Dick Landy gets his blowers made in batches of ten so will take your money and if your unfortunate enough to be the first one to order you can wait for ages for the blower to arrive

As far as i know, the one that used to be in Mel's buggy is now in a Barndoor camper.

Replace the <dot> with . and <at> with @
Richie Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2007, 08:44 PM   #8
revilobeetle
Seasoned Chat Slut

awesome! i want one BAD! what sort of power increase can i expect? and can it be used on a stock 1600 twin port? or should i really have a balanced bottom end, uprated cam and ported heads etc?

i love superchargers they sound great. i drove a cooper S WORKS 210bhp conversion, and the sound from the supercharger is awesome.

can they be fitted on a splitty without hitting the top of the engine area??
Old 20-02-2007, 08:47 PM   #9
revilobeetle
Seasoned Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by dubmeister
what spec did the 1776 have to get that sort of power? and do you know what it would run on normal unleaded fuel?? was it reliable? could it be used as a daily driver in a lesser state of tune (ie on a 1600-1641)? or is that a stupid idea??
Old 20-02-2007, 08:58 PM   #10
61 stu
I'm not an addict... honest!

Quote:
what spec did the 1776 have to get that sort of power? and do you know what it would run on normal unleaded fuel?? was it reliable? could it be used as a daily driver in a lesser state of tune (ie on a 1600-1641)? or is that a stupid idea??
Dave Forders blue bug was a daily i'm positive and ran no problem, if you want to know engine spec you could always call Tony at Microgiant i'm sure he'd remember
61 stu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread