Bike engine in a Beetle - Page 4 - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > CLUB FORUMS > Alternate Engine

Alternate Engine Got a Scooby motor in the back of your dub? Or a V8? Alfa? You know a Porsche motor drops straight in - right? This is the forum for you. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 30-11-2007, 08:42 PM   #31
Drew64
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Have u seen this..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPQIizRp9ck

The creator of the Evil Herbie (ex Turbothomas, now owned by SuperBee).

61 plate VW Golf Bluemotion (great motor shite heater!!)
1996 Land Rover Discovery 300Tdi Auto Commercial (Beastie Bob - SOON TO BE PUT UP FOR SALE).
Drew64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 07:17 PM   #32
lunatic
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Ive been pondering on bike engines for a while. There are far more options than just inline jap 4 bangers. you could go flat twin, four or six. I was thinking about the aftermarket harley lumps, you can get a 127 ci engine that puts out 145 hp and 140 ftlbs torque. I dont know how that stacks up against vw motors, more horses and im guessing more torque. Less longevity and reliability though I guess. And one costs as much as a well put together vw engine, but you can get a ready made kit to bolt it onto your vw box from people like boom or rewaco who make trikes.
lunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-12-2007, 09:31 PM   #33
rjes
Chat Slapper

I passed one of those Harley powered trikes on the M6 a few months ago. I followed it for quite a while trying to see how it was done. It did appear to be a V twin on a Beetle box, and also appeared to be very well built. It sounded awesome too.
rjes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 02:32 PM   #34
Ebeneezer
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (6)

Ealier in thethread somebody mentioned zcars near Hull.

I bought a 1776 motor off them that they had taken out of a Chesil and replaced with the Hayabusa engine. Unfortunately the guy wrote it off on the way back from Le Mans within a couple of weeks.

Went out for a spin in one of their specialities - a Hayabusa engined Mini - absolute flying machine!

They were also putting a Skyline engine in a TVR Cerbera whilst I was there.

Well worth having a look.

Ebeneezer
Ebeneezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2007, 05:00 PM   #35
manxbuggies
Unauthorised trader!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRUNKENBUM View Post
bugs are a bit hevey IMHO
Not for a Boss Hoss motorcycle engine they aint
manxbuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 09:20 AM   #36
toastmuncher
Seasoned Chat Slut

Default Baffling, no not BAFFLING, BAFFLING!

The major issue with bike engines in cars is lack of torque at low revs, my 1150 bmw rockster develops 92bhp at the wheel, after tweeks, and my 1100 guzzi cally motor gives 80bhp. I have many fours but dont think any of them would be any good in a car, twins would be best. The other, major issue is oil starvation, with racing sidecar engines the sump has the problem where when cornering the oil slops to one side of the sump, bikes lean and so the centrifugal force pushes the oil downward not sideways when cornering. With sidecar outfits the sump needs to be BAFFLED by putting plates with holes in lengthways along the sump to reduce the effect of the oil slopping away from the pick up. I have a zzr1100 with leading link forks and a modern two seater chair on it, I use that to ferry my three year old about so heavy handed cornering is less of a problem. I have seen 120 on the motorway though, Without my son of course, as thats when I bottled it. 160 when she was solo was easy.
She may soon be for sale to fund a t25 camper. These vws are taking over slowly.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:41 AM   #37
Rick C
Wannabe Chat Slut

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastmuncher View Post
The major issue with bike engines in cars is lack of torque at low revs, my 1150 bmw rockster develops 92bhp at the wheel, after tweeks, and my 1100 guzzi cally motor gives 80bhp. I have many fours but dont think any of them would be any good in a car, twins would be best. The other, major issue is oil starvation, with racing sidecar engines the sump has the problem where when cornering the oil slops to one side of the sump, bikes lean and so the centrifugal force pushes the oil downward not sideways when cornering. With sidecar outfits the sump needs to be BAFFLED by putting plates with holes in lengthways along the sump to reduce the effect of the oil slopping away from the pick up. I have a zzr1100 with leading link forks and a modern two seater chair on it, I use that to ferry my three year old about so heavy handed cornering is less of a problem. I have seen 120 on the motorway though, Without my son of course, as thats when I bottled it. 160 when she was solo was easy.
She may soon be for sale to fund a t25 camper. These vws are taking over slowly.
Some bike engines are more suitable in cars than others for the reasons stated above. Generally, the longatudial engines such as those found on boxter BMWs and Honda Goldwings are better suited because the crank runs in the same direction as a bug and oil starvation is less of an issue under acceleration and braking. If you have to rotate an engine, that's where the problems start.

This has a BMW bike engine in it:

And I always wondered what it would look like with a Beetle body over it... That would be mad! A 3-wheeled Beetle streamliner!
Rick C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:09 AM   #38
manxbuggies
Unauthorised trader!

The guys at Radical sports cars Peterborough use dry sump systems on their bike powered cars.
They also developed a V8 bike engine a few years back,,,, think it was for a Le Mans car,, my buddy who works for them said it was based on two Suzuki engines,, I know they put out over 350bhp & sound awsome.

Almost everything is done in house at their Peterborough factory, even the rolling road to set em up.

Good guys to contact maybe
manxbuggies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 10:55 AM   #39
wedgedout
Help! I'm trapped in here

Quote:
Originally Posted by manxbuggies View Post
The guys at Radical sports cars Peterborough use dry sump systems on their bike powered cars.
They also developed a V8 bike engine a few years back,,,, think it was for a Le Mans car,, my buddy who works for them said it was based on two Suzuki engines,, I know they put out over 350bhp & sound awsome.

Almost everything is done in house at their Peterborough factory, even the rolling road to set em up.

Good guys to contact maybe
Local to me too , thanks for the tip off
SPVW37; Can I actually do it for 2009? :lol:
wedgedout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2008, 11:40 AM   #40
toastmuncher
Seasoned Chat Slut

Driven one of those grinnall scorpians, silver three wheeler pictured, they are ace, REALLY ACE. At the time we had a lomax 'simlar layout but 2cv powered' somehow it felt shite afterwards!