Alternative Beetle heating. - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 26-11-2007, 03:31 PM   #1
[steve]
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (4)

Default Alternative Beetle heating.

So, when my engine was rebuilt earlier in the year, the heat exchangers were replaced and work nowhere near as well as the old ones did (just they don't poison me now)...

So, Im freezing most of the time and have a 300 mile round trip coming up in a couple of weeks....

I was thinking of a cheap 12v hair dryer behind the dash... home made bracket, switched on, some air hose from the drier to the dash vents (somehow split to all 3) and wire a switch in to the dash..... should also stop the fresh (ice cold) air from under the bonnet coming through the dash vents....

Anyone done it, or anything similar... or is there a better way of heating a bug....

Cheers

Steve.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[steve] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 03:41 PM   #2
Bada Ben
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (0)

The 12 V hairdryers don't work, neither do the super space age ceramic element car heater demister gadgets.
Even aftermarket Heat exchangers give enough heat to de-mist the screen, (mine even stop my toes from freezing), the trick is to get sufficient air flow through them. It's a long tortuous path from Heat Exchanger to windscreen in a beetle, and the smallest restriction along the way causes big reductions in the system's performance. If you have a howling gale conming thru the missing bonnet seal, it's not going to help either. Start with thet, then examine all the pipework from engine bay right through to the windscreen, and fix any bits which have collapsed internally. If the pipes in the sills and door pillars are completely blocked, a temporary flexible pipe from under the rear seat to under the driver's seat will keep toes from going black and dropping off.
Old 26-11-2007, 03:58 PM   #3
[steve]

Cheers dude, the heat used to come through the heater channel vents (footwells) fine... have only changed the heat exchangers... may just mask up the dash vents to stop the cold air floating through and see what that does..... my girlfriend has just reminded me that hairdryers have an auto cu off if they get too hot.... maybe it wasnt such a great idea

Ill check out the entire heating system when I get back tonight... I get no heat thru dash vents... think the hose in the door pilars needs replacing... probably full of crap

And all the vents need fitting properly... and the hoses to the heater box need sealing at either end... will have a play

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 26-11-2007, 04:31 PM   #4
purplepete
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (1)

..And check that your heater cables are adjusted to give max opening at the exchanger linkage

... And open a quarterlight
purplepete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 04:45 PM   #5
raysor
Chat Slapper

There are flaps on the heat exchangers aren't there, controlled by the levers by the handbrake.

On my Beetle we thought the heater channels were no good.
And as it got colder tried to find a method of heating, however meagre.
First we got some of that coiled aluminium pipe (3in Dia) and connected it from the heat exchanger on the left side into the rear of the car. We did this side because we thought this might be the better of the two channels. No heat came through . we then tried it on the drivers side. Initially no heat but realised the flaps were not open. Fortunately the flap was in working order including the control levers.
To make this better we purchased a legnth of pipe 3.5in diam and put this over the end of the heat exchanger and into the rear under the seat. Then a small piece of the 3in inside this and the over the heater channel end pipe. Success-heat from the front inlets. all the pipes are missing under the bonnet so some air is wasting through there.
Also, unfortunately the control wire from the left lever to the heat exchanger is kaput and the flap is spring loaded to stay closed??
raysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 04:47 PM   #6
[steve]

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepete View Post
..And check that your heater cables are adjusted to give max opening at the exchanger linkage
Ummm, yeah, about that... I dont have any cables

You may have a point there mate, I have just gotten under the back end, opened the lever on the heat exchanger and bent it over the back of the unit to 'lock' it open... on both.... there is still a cm or so travel to fully open, maybe thats cutting the amount of heat Im getting through... will get some cables at some point... never fitted them, I can drop an engine, replace a gearbox but get a bit apprehensive when it comes to fiddly bits in tight spaces

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplepete View Post
... And open a quarterlight
That's my current operation.... gets cold quick tho

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 26-11-2007, 04:50 PM   #7
[steve]

Quote:
Originally Posted by raysor View Post
Also, unfortunately the control wire from the left lever to the heat exchanger is kaput and the flap is spring loaded to stay closed??
ONe lever opens/closes both exchangers and the other opens/closes the rear (under seat) vents... cant; remember which one does which tho, and yes, they are spring loaded to stay closed

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Old 26-11-2007, 05:07 PM   #8
billybug
I'm not an addict... honest!

You could always fit an Auxillary heater - my '58 came from the factory fitted with an Eberspacher which I've just got working again - it pumps out loads of heat and is pretty much instant so no more freezing waiting for the engine to warm up - luckily my bug has really good heaters once the cars warm so I only need to use it for a bit (on those odd occasions I drive it in the winter), but it would make a good alternative also
1963 1200 Bug - Now Sold
1992 LandRover Defender 110 200 TDI.
billybug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
raysor
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by [steve] View Post
ONe lever opens/closes both exchangers and the other opens/closes the rear (under seat) vents... cant; remember which one does which tho, and yes, they are spring loaded to stay closed
Oh yes I remember that now.(from 25 odd years ago) see t1beetle.blogspot.com

There seem to be lots of loose wires hanging about.

Actually I was going to say hot air is also coming out from the right hand corner screen vent!
raysor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-11-2007, 05:22 PM   #10
[steve]

Cheers guys,

A few ideas there...

Billybug.... how much to eberspachers cost

I would love an auxillary heater.... how do heaters in modern cars work... to they use engine heat, or can I just go to a breakers yard and pick up a fan with a heater filament that I can then just wire in under the bonnet??? Anyone know?

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Reply Post New Thread