1641, what carbs, what crank, what heads? This is Exhausting! - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 15-01-2008, 10:36 AM   #1
yamz89
Wannabe Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (0)

Default 1641, what carbs, what crank, what heads? This is Exhausting!

Hey guys,

I'm building a 1641 engine, with Engle 110 cam, straight cut cam gear, (not sure which crank to get) 1.5 deep sump, not sure what heads or carbs to get either 34 ICT's or 36 DRLA's.
All I know is I am 18, I’m on a budget, and I want to make my 72 bug faster.
I was thinking of changing the crank because I want it to rev further to 6k or 7k safely, any good cranks for a good price?
The heads: - Lots of people have told me this is where the power lies, and the best thing to do is to keep my 1300tp heads and port them. Other people say get big valve heads.
Again, what’s the cheapest, most powerfull option?
And the carbs, people have told me how good 34 ICT's are and how good 36 DRLA's are. I still want to maintain a fair MPG but I just want power.
I guess merged headers are the way forward for grunt, but what back box is the best for performance.

If you guys could help me build a shopping list of parts to make a hot 1641 motor that’s achievable to save for, I’d be grateful.

Thanks guys
Marc

Last edited by yamz89; 15-01-2008 at 11:22 AM.
yamz89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 12:48 PM   #2
64 pickup
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (2)

get yerself some books on the subject and be a bit more realistic
64 pickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 05:10 PM   #3
yamz89
Wannabe Chat Slut

What do you mean realistic?

I'm 18 and i have no clue what to get. I was just asking for someone to guide me in the right direction, not a smart comment...

Can anyone help me, or are you guys always like this to younger drivers?
Old 15-01-2008, 05:35 PM   #4
Clarkson46
I really must get out more

No it's not a younger driver issue, it's the spec of your engine. A 1641 engine using largely stock parts with give you a considerable improvement in power and performance and will also give you good economy which will help your budget. We built a 1641 using a 1300 donor case, stock crank and flywheel, stock cam, used stock 1600 T/P heads. Our one luxury was a a pair of Dellorto FRD34's which when married to an SVDA distributor manages to shove a '68 Westy Bay up hill and down dale with no effort and returns 31mpg on a run. So stick that lot in a Bug and it should fly.
Clarkson46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 05:42 PM   #5
clarkson
Help! I'm trapped in here

Trading feedback: (1)

As far as I understand it. If you use a different crank you'll no longer have a 1641 and you'll have to have your case machined to fit it. I'd use a stock crank and stock conrods.
Old 15-01-2008, 05:46 PM   #6
yamz89
Wannabe Chat Slut

thx for the guidance clarkson.

shud be cheaper than what i thought then!
Old 15-01-2008, 05:48 PM   #7
yamz89
Wannabe Chat Slut

but if i use a stock crank that means i cant rev more than 4.5k no?
Old 15-01-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Clarkson46

Why would you want rev an engine to 6000 rpm that anyway. What you will have is a hi-torque engine that does not need to be revved to destruction to make it go. It's not a 2007 16 valve twin cam engine that develops no low down torque. The VW engine develops it's torque low down which gives good acceleration.
Clarkson46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 05:56 PM   #9
dub_crazee

Trading feedback: (4)

ive got a 1641, balanced bottom end (not counterweight), 110 cam, magnum straight cuts, full flow, murged header. its quite nippy, fun to drive. add a nice pair of baby dells to that and a mild port job it should be very nice. if you want to rev really high you will need a counterweight crank, a wilder cam, decent port and polish job. higher lift cams also require HD springs. having said that for a daily driver ive hear its not great to ahve a wild cam as it is lumpy low revs - but i have no experience of this.

decide on your buget. buy the best you can afford. have your parts balanced to improve longevity and youl have a ncie reliable nippy motor.

Join us on Facebook
http://www.facebook.com/#!/ClassicCarRevivals
dub_crazee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2008, 05:58 PM   #10
yamz89
Wannabe Chat Slut

i just guessed that more rpm's i have the better. i dont scream my engines just like to know that it can take the extra grunt. I've heard storys about vw cranks bending/braking with anything over 5. and i cruise with a 1300 box so rpms are always applying to me on the motorway. if u suggest keeping my stock crank, then so be it
Reply Post New Thread