Volkszone Forum banner

My new wizard!

Tags
wizard
22K views 93 replies 26 participants last post by  chrisanizbug 
#1 · (Edited)
I thought it was about time I got a veedub that I can actually drive, having not driven one for about 5 years! So, after a bit of a search for the right cheap, scruffy, solid, low bug, I finally took delivery of this:

Its one of the rare full fibreglass shells, complete with reciept from Wizard Roadsters dated 1994. Has a 1300sp at the mo, but its still quite nippy, with it weighing little more than your average cumberland sausage :)

The paint, as you can see, isn't brilliant and needs a 'little' bit of T-cut (a previous owner thought it'd be a good idea to paint it with white emulsion:lol:) and the wiring needs tidying up a bit.

The engine will eventually be replaced for a 1641, and I'm putting different indicators on the back, as those on there at the moment aren't amazingly bright! But other than that I'm keeping it pretty much as it is :)

See less See more
#2 ·
hi, I owned this for a short time last year (took it in px) the white is actually a paint re-action not emulsion and it does come off with a bit of t-cut but you will find that the car has been painted over the gelcoat in a not too clever match, the bits that are not white are the ones I played with getting the colour back. It did used to have a lot of speakers in the back but rather a naff system. The rear lights could be sorted by making sure that they have good earths as this is the normal cause of them being dull.

Enjoy it, it is a fun car, it used to have a 2l engine in and then it really shifted, restore her she deserves it

#3 ·
Ah cool! always good to find the previous owners!

I definately need to look at the wiring, it has all sorts of problems at the moment, mainly down to bad earthing I suspect. Its quite hard to find an earth with a 'glass shell :lol:

I've found cutting compounds good for getting the colour back, although I'll be a lot more carful now I know its been sprayed over the gel coat.

I probably will restore her eventually, but at the moment I'm just enjoying driving around, and hope to get to a few shows in a dub this year for the first time in ages! :)

I'll check out the earths on the tail lights, but the plastic on the indicators is very weathered, so I think new lenses will be needed really. Plus they're only supposed to be side repeaters and not main indicators and I don't like the extra indicator bulbs wired up under the dash so they don't flash too quickly!

#6 ·
Been busy this weekend :)

Done lots of t-cutting, and now she's a slightly darker shade of red, but still not perfect.

Also fitted new clear lucas indicators on the back, forming a ! shape with the teardrop brake lights, fitted aerocatch locking bonnet pins on the decklid, so it's more London-proof!

The horn on there has never worked, so I've cleaned up all the earths on the horn switch and fitted a nice shiny chrome klaxon under the bonnet, much to my neighbour's amusement!

Well pleased with myself, will get some pics up tomorrow :)

#9 · (Edited)
New pics so far... can't really tell much difference paint wise, in the pics, but she is a lot redder in the flesh :)

Only got 3 before my battery went in my phone though :rolleyes:

Slightly Shinier front end:

New tail-lights, holes for the old ones obviously need filling at some point:

New locking Aerocatches:

#11 ·
I have no idea mate, I keep meaning to do some reasearch on it, but never got round to it. I know mine was bought in '94. I don't think many of the full glass ones were made, most people went for the steel shell with the back chopped off approach. I think I know of about 5 of them from VZi now, and I'm assuming the majority of the ones that were sold are still around somewhere, because they don't rot :)

#16 ·
I'll sort some pictures of mine when she starts to look a little more presentable.

So far i've made a carpet to fit and hung the ns door back on.

also made the seats fit the std seat runners unfortunatly making them non-tilt, but the original subframes were poorly made pig-iron crap.

looking goood so far though.

just waiting for the fan to come back from zinc plating then I can get the engine in and plumbed/wired.

makes such a change not to have to deal with rusty body work...

#17 ·
Cool, what engine is it? Seems there's quite a few of these things coming out of the woodwork now, maybe we should get a small display together for the shows. Although mine's not exactly show stopping at the mo, but have you seen how rusty some of those metal dubs are that get into the show & shine?? :incheek:

Works now under way on the 1641 for mine, just waiting for gaskets and piston rings and stuff to arrive :)

#18 ·
looks so much better now that you have polished it. Are you planing on painting it in the future? If you do could you please cut the tops of the doors and re-attach them straight (twisted from the mould I think) as they bugged me for years when it was driving around bournemouth :)

#20 ·
:lol: yeah I know what you mean, bugs me too!was thinking of getting some steel doors and putting the fibreglass skin on them in the future, so they're a bit less flimsy. Need to find a way of sealing the top of the windows too, because those velcro strip things don't do a lot!

mine is just a 1300tp powdered tin some minor chrome.

TBH when it's done it's going up for sale, there are other things I want to do, another buggy or a ghia possibly
Ah right, when you said plumb the engine in, I thought you meant something crazy and watercooled :D

#22 ·
Thing is it owes me that! recon pan , new brakes etc, I thought lowest price.... lets not fart about.

but as no one came forward, and 99% of the parts are there i'm into it!

door fits well, need to play with the os one though.

engine cleaned and part assembled. Need the fan, new carb, and a spare hour to fit. Looks good though!

made the carpet and fitted the seats in, need to clean the rear seat and break out the Armour all though.

Won't be long before it's done

Things to do-
make door cards
Steering damper mount
fit bonnet and tank
adjust drivers door
hood and frame
fit engine
bleed brakes
sort ignition key
os door glass (might have it, might not)

so not much!

#26 ·
Bit of an update, took it for an MOT yesterday, and she failed :(

But not on much :) just a tyre, wheel bearing, headlight aim, main beam and side light not working on one side (they did last week... go figure!) a bolt missing out of the passenger seat, and a couple of small bits of welding to the floor in the footwells.

Fixed all of the above today except for the welding, which hopefully the garage will be able to do before the retest :)

So next week, or the week after at the latest, she'll have a full MOT :)

#28 ·
Got everything done for the MOT except for the welding now, taking her in to the garage to have that done before they do the retest, and getting her back next sat :D can't wait take her for a spin again!

The 1641 build is coming on well too, may even have the lump ready to go in the weekend I she comes back from the garage :)

#33 ·
Yeah got through the MOT with just a bit of welding and a wheel bearing needed. The 1641's in, but not managed to get it running properly yet because of the cold weather over Christmas, hopefully i'll get another crack at it this weekend :)

Loving the purple wizard, like the chrome trim more than I though I would :D

A.W.O.L. Association of Wizard Owners and the Like :incheek:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.