Dumb Ass Leisure Battery Question - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 26-06-2008, 03:53 PM   #1
DLC
Chat Slapper

Trading feedback: (0)

Default Dumb Ass Leisure Battery Question

Ok, so I want to fit a leisure battery, and I've looked at the various wiring diagrams like this one

Thanks to Althesparky for that picture

Which I reckon I understand - the leisure battary only charges when the alternator is kicking out current and isn't used for the starting cycle?

Problem is the only things I want to run are already wired in to the van (and work without the keys in) ie stero, fag lighter socket and internal light, water pump as well when it's fitted) and I don't want to re-wire all the internal stuff.

I've looked in the engine bay and there is only the one thick lead running from the positive terminal, so I can't see an easy way of splitting the wiring from starter motor wire and everything else and running everything else of the leisure battary either Which was my first thought.

So is there a way to fit something automatic to discontect the starting battery from everything else (split discharge relay, which sounds icky ) when I'm stoped, or should I just install one of them battery isolator switches and do it by hand?

Thanks
DLC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 03:56 PM   #2
Evil Dan
I really must get out more

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (11)

if you use the diagram above and run a +ve wire to the front of the bus you can mount a fuse box there. Just take all the internal stuff thats already fitted off the stock fuse box and wire it to the new fuse box, simple

14.85 vs Jagerbug

16.48 @ ??.??mph in a bay

USB - Ultimate Street Bays

Evil Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 04:01 PM   #3
DLC
Chat Slapper

Aye, that's sounds pretty simple, but it's kinda what I wanted to avoid, re-wiring stuff that is aready thier, Ok so it's only taking something from one fuse box to another, but it's still effort

In my defence though, it will all get done properly (probably Zig unit and proper hook up job)when the bus is re-fitted after it's re-sprayed, hence why I'm looking for a quick fix now with minimal fuss

Last edited by DLC; 26-06-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 26-06-2008, 04:04 PM   #4
Evil Dan
I really must get out more

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (11)

you will need to trace the wires back from the things they go to, if you dont know what you are doing with electrics get someone else to do it for you, not only will it be a pain in the ass to sort out but it can be a fire hazard if you do it wrong!

There are some good diagrams on vintagebus.com that show the colours of the wires used as standard, but these have sometimes been changed/replaced over the years.

14.85 vs Jagerbug

16.48 @ ??.??mph in a bay

USB - Ultimate Street Bays

Evil Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 08:22 PM   #5
DLC
Chat Slapper

Cheers mate, I'll have a look at that link, and when the rain finaly stops I'll have a look at where everything is on the bus and see how I feel about fitting it all up properly, fag lighter and stero shouldn't be a problem to sort, just the interior light, and I can wire up the water pump from scratch so that shouldn't be a problem. Really I'm just being lazy as it's only a short term fix, I think though the least effort long run is to ensure everything I want to use if fitted to the leisure battery rather than have to get out of the van to isolate the main battery
Old 26-06-2008, 09:48 PM   #6
Moby5153
Tech Guru/Mr VZi '06

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLC View Post
Really I'm just being lazy as it's only a short term fix, I think though the least effort long run is to ensure everything I want to use if fitted to the leisure battery rather than have to get out of the van to isolate the main battery
I think you're right there, do it right, it doesn't take long.
If you're going to run a wire from the battery to the front (new fusebox) then fuse that wire as close to the battery as possible.
Moby5153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2008, 10:44 PM   #7
DLC
Chat Slapper

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moby5153 View Post
I think you're right there, do it right, it doesn't take long.
If you're going to run a wire from the battery to the front (new fusebox) then fuse that wire as close to the battery as possible.

But I'm so lazy good point on the fuse - I'll stick and in-line one in the engine bay straight off the battery
Old 26-06-2008, 10:57 PM   #8
mini Bungle
I'm not an addict... honest!

you could replace the starting battery with a big amp/hour battery ( something out of a big diesel car)

and carry a jumper pack just in case you flatten it too much to start

not ideal but would save the rewiring you don't want to do
mini Bungle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-06-2008, 11:01 AM   #9
DLC
Chat Slapper

I reckon I'm going to wire the stero, fag lighter outlets socket and water pump up to the leisure battery like you are meant to as I'll be putting in a new water pump and stero soon anyway, and if I can't find the internal light wire then I'll just leave it, we've got more than enough lanterns and stick up lights not to really need it.

Thanks
Reply Post New Thread