How cold does it need to get before the water in an engine block freezes...... - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Community > Chat/Discussion

Chat/Discussion Kind of like a VW club online - you can sit in our virtual pub and talk about whatever you want to. All opinions are valid, but please no insulting (other than to our intelligence,) abusive or libellous posts. Please feel free to post your opinion on any given subject, but also be aware that others have the equal right to disagree with you - and some will certainly tell you so. No 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your business, links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (please use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled "What's my car worth?" threads too (please use the 'Dude! What's My Car Worth?' forum) - and please don't use just to post links to other VW forums or websites - we are aware that other sites exist (obviously), but blatant 'plugs' (poaching) will simply be deleted.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 29-10-2008, 12:49 AM   #1
Mr Big
I really must get out more

Trading feedback: (1)

Default How cold does it need to get before the water in an engine block freezes......

I've just realised the VR6 I bought earlier in the year as a project is sat outside in this lovely weather and I have no idea if it has any antifreeze in it The front end is right up against the house so it might keep a bit of warmth into it.

If there was no antifreeze in it, how cold you reckon it will have to get for the water inside the block to freeze. Cracked waterways is not something I fancy.

Should I just go outside and dump the water out of it onto the drive?

Please PM if you can help.
Mr Big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:51 AM   #2
Gal
Help! I'm trapped in here

er 0C as thats when water freezes?
Old 29-10-2008, 12:52 AM   #3
TomD

Trading feedback: (0)

I'd say the water needs to be about 0 degrees C!.
TomD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 12:54 AM   #4
Mr Big

Yeah thanks for that useful info

Its not like its water sat on the ground though. Its inside the engine block which is inside the car, so its going to be insulated from ambient temp.

Old 29-10-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
BenEssex
Seasoned Chat Slut

Just take the lid off the reservoir , that way if it does freeze it will just expand out the reservoir and no damage will be done.
Old 29-10-2008, 01:04 AM   #6
andy_k

Trading feedback: (6)

anything down to -4 or -5 and you should be OK. After that, well you are on your own. Just 1 or two litres of cheap anti freeze would protect you from freezing in this country
Old 29-10-2008, 01:07 AM   #7
Samage

With my limited mechanical knowledge, I'd say this... find an all-night garage and buy some antifreeze.
Old 29-10-2008, 01:10 AM   #8
bfg69bug

Trading feedback: (4)

throw an old blanket under the bonnet too

:bandit:
bfg69bug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 01:13 AM   #9
john.stone

Trading feedback: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Big View Post
Yeah thanks for that useful info

Its not like its water sat on the ground though. Its inside the engine block which is inside the car, so its going to be insulated from ambient temp.
How so? If the air temp. is 0 degrees then the block will be as cold as anything else in the vicinity. You'll blow the core plugs first even if you do remove the rad/reservoir cap.
john.stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2008, 01:17 AM   #10
Mr Big

Fook me its cold out there! Just been out to pull the expansion tank cap off, push it right up to the house and drop an old blanket under the hood.

Hopefully it will be ok until tomorrow afternoon when I can pick up an antifreeze tester. Cooling system is full at the moment so cant top it up with antifreeze. And its pitch black outside so I cant find the bottom hose to drain some out.

Its not in use at the moment anyway and its supposed to be going in for a coolant flush and refill next monday. Just wish i'd remembered when it was a bit lighter outside.

Reply Post New Thread