Body fitting suicide doors to a beetle? - VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales

Go Back   VW Forum - VZi, Europe's largest VW, community and sales > Tech Forums > Aircooled Mechanical Tech

Aircooled Mechanical Tech A Q & A Forum devoted to Aircooled Mechanical Issues. Got a problem? Then ask in here. Please, no 'For Sale' or 'Want To Buy' ads, plugs for your 'business', links to 'for sale' ads or Ebay links to your (or your mate's) auction (use the VZi 'Classifieds' section) - this also includes thinly veiled 'What's My Car Worth?' threads and "Who Can Sell Me A . . ." posts.

Machine 7, high quality air-cooled  restoration and performance parts
Reply Post New Thread

Old 18-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #1
Bugsy_Malone 666
Nom Nom Nom

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (7)

Default fitting suicide doors to a beetle?

So as I'm gearing up to try and crack on with my 1302s custom project I have been working on for a few years now, I have decided I need more custom to go with it, namely suicide doors!

basically I spent lots of time getting the doors all fitted to stock hinge locations with new door posts etc and now I have decided it needs a change. I am going to be using mazda MX5 door handles too!

So has anyone done suicide doors themselves? any pointers/links/pictures?

if possible I want to have hidden hinges so I have a nice flush look.

...One day I'll finish it all.
Bugsy_Malone 666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 08:56 PM   #2
1972 Mellow Yellow
I'm not an addict... honest!

Trading feedback: (0)

Rather than suicide doors, hinge it from the roof and have them open upwards!

It will be easier and it will look super cool!

http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/member.php?u=45434
1972 Mellow Yellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 09:05 PM   #3
Forsh

Trading feedback: (1)

why not do Lambo door for that Max Power look

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/LAMBO-STYLE-VE...|39:1|240:1318

Forsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
Bugsy_Malone 666
Nom Nom Nom

VZi Member Sponsor

no no, I am quite happy with suicide doors as this is a hotrod/custom car type beetle, not a look. I know alot of 30-40s cars had suicide doors and they actually seem practical in some senses.

I am also thinking about a radiused door top and while I have seen it done I dont understand how people get the door rubbers to fit?

Old 18-01-2009, 09:43 PM   #5
GermanLkManx
Seasoned Chat Slut

VZi Member Sponsor

Trading feedback: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugsy_Malone 666 View Post
I dont understand how people get the door rubbers to fit?
Just cut them, shape them and glue them back together.

tom.
GermanLkManx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 10:10 PM   #6
superbeetle91

If i were you Dale:
I'd put that idea down and walk away, it'l be a cunt to get to align and seal,

keep doors the way that VW made them! and it's one thing standard if you ever sell it ( we all know how hard to sell a non standard looking car is? ((Porschebug))
superbeetle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 10:20 PM   #7
RATBAG
Seasoned Chat Slut

Trading feedback: (20)

Suicide them m8. Stick to your guns... Im suiciding my split it is allot of work but they are amazing after.. You can get the purpose made hinges from autolock in the states and they are the TIT's (flush fit too) Should be able to find them on yank ebay. I seem to remember that an old m8 made his suicide hinges from metro bonnet hinges for his bug if you wanna try and make your own?
RATBAG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-01-2009, 11:29 PM   #8
superbeetle91

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBAG View Post
Suicide them m8. Stick to your guns... Im suiciding my split it is allot of work but they are amazing after.. You can get the purpose made hinges from autolock in the states and they are the TIT's (flush fit too) Should be able to find them on yank ebay. I seem to remember that an old m8 made his suicide hinges from metro bonnet hinges for his bug if you wanna try and make your own?
when you come to sell it will this not deduct value from it dudee?
superbeetle91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2009, 12:33 AM   #9
Bugsy_Malone 666
Nom Nom Nom

VZi Member Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by RATBAG View Post
I'm not affraid if trying to do anything anymore to be honest, after doing a small engine conversion on my bay from a/c petrol to watercooled diesel and with the huge amounts of welding i have done on rust vws over the past 6-8 years anything is possible if you put your mind to it!

I seem to remember at one point someone used to sell ready made suicide hinges and i remember something about transit van hinges being the job

have you got any links to your splitty im keen to see what your upto

Quote:
Originally Posted by superbeetle91 View Post
when you come to sell it will this not deduct value from it dudee?
my 1302s is the car I have owned since I was 16, after 10 years I havent sold it or wanted to so I aint worried about resale, I mean hell its going to have a bus gearbox, a 300bhp golf motor in the back & all sorts of other body mods I think suicide doors are the least of my worries about putting it back to standard the amount of firewall cutting im going to be doing!

Old 19-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #10
adi #2

Trading feedback: (1)

I think it sounds like a great idea!

People will always argue about stock vs modified. I have noticed something tho. When you try to sell a stock car, everyone says how a modded one would be worth more. When you try to sell a modded one, people will say that a stock one would be worth more.

But this is because people are assholes, and will always try to make other peoples stuff sound bad. I dont know why but its a natural human tendency.

In reality i think it depends on the situation. I dont see suicide doors as de-valuing a car! Its certenly better then bolting on a load of cheap made in china empi shit and calling it 'modified' which seems to be the usual way of doing it.

''i have recipts that say i spent 4505.99 on EMPI stuff, which means that my car must be worth that'' You know the situation right?

Its very nice to occasionally see someone doing somethign different. Suicide doors ARE different, and EMPI dont make a suicide door kit so its a bonus!

I say best of luck to you!
adi #2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply Post New Thread